Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #19,951 of 42,765
Actually, I was turning it on for the first time in the day and was not connected to any charger for almost 48hrs.

Even if it was a thermal shut-off , wouldn't the device not turn on at all?

I have been clutching at straws, trying to think up the cause of your problem, and thermal shutdown felt like the longest straw (although unlikely).
The other straws are:
  • I had a windows update today, so I wondered if you had too, and windows just needed to adjust itself until it could send the signal to Mojo
  • I think there was one post a long time ago, about someone getting the balls to stick - which was cleared by manipulating them a bit until they freed themselves. I wondered if somehow you had got two (or three balls) stuck in a position which was confusing the Mojo control software, and it just needed you to move them a few times, until the software reset itself.

You can see that they were just straws, but I was trying to think laterally a bit. 
confused.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #19,952 of 42,765
Post 3 is a wonderfully useful resource and kudos Mython for the care and effort you've put into it. Really, a Herculean effort that I'm sure many have and will continue to benefit from. But, and this is just my opinion, I don't think anyone deserves to be admonished for coming into this thread and asking a question. This is a public forum folks. Asking questions and getting answers is a basic purpose of these forums. You can't change the nature of the medium with a thread title, sorry. Experience on this thread bears this out. It seems most regulars politely refer people to post 3, and that's how it should go. There is no need to fling insults and be nasty about it. But Post 3 (or some form of it) should absolutely remain.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #19,953 of 42,765

I have been clutching at straws, trying to think up the cause of your problem, and thermal shutdown felt like the longest straw (although unlikely).
The other straws are:
  • I had a windows update today, so I wondered if you had too, and windows just needed to adjust itself until it could send the signal to Mojo
  • I think there was one post a long time ago, about someone getting the balls to stick - which was cleared by manipulating them a bit until they freed themselves. I wondered if somehow you had got two (or three balls) stuck in a position which was confusing the Mojo control software, and it just needed you to move them a few times, until the software reset itself.

You can see that they were just straws, but I was trying to think laterally a bit. 
confused.gif

Hey man, I am sorry if my previous post sounded a bit defensive. Didn't mean to do that. I was in a meeting and was using my phone to type and I am not too good at it, so I just try to get the message across. I really appreciate you thinking through this with me.

• I had a windows update today, so I wondered if you had too, and windows just needed to adjust itself until it could send the signal to Mojo - It was my work machine that is running a Windows 7. I have no clue what goes on in the background. The favorite part about my work PC is the Foobar and Google Chrome. But I doubt it was the windows machine, because my Mojo refused to work even on my most reliable Fiio X3ii
  • I think there was one post a long time ago, about someone getting the balls to stick - which was cleared by manipulating them a bit until they freed themselves. I wondered if somehow you had got two (or three balls) stuck in a position which was confusing the Mojo control software, and it just needed you to move them a few times, until the software reset itself. - I don't think this is the case either as the orbs had a definitive tactile click

I've read that TV remotes sometimes don't function effectively when it stores up some residual power in its electrical components. For it to function properly again, you'd have to press all the buttons to drain all that stored up power. May be something like that happened.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #19,954 of 42,765

Hey man, I am sorry if my previous post sounded a bit defensive. Didn't mean to do that. I was in a meeting and was using my phone to type and I am not too good at it, so I just try to get the message across. I really appreciate you thinking through this with me.

• I had a windows update today, so I wondered if you had too, and windows just needed to adjust itself until it could send the signal to Mojo - It was my work machine that is running a Windows 7. I have no clue what goes on in the background. The favorite part about my work PC is the Foobar and Google Chrome. But I doubt it was the windows machine, because my Mojo refused to work even on my most reliable Fiio X3ii
  • I think there was one post a long time ago, about someone getting the balls to stick - which was cleared by manipulating them a bit until they freed themselves. I wondered if somehow you had got two (or three balls) stuck in a position which was confusing the Mojo control software, and it just needed you to move them a few times, until the software reset itself. - I don't think this is the case either as the orbs had a definitive tactile click

I've read that TV remotes sometimes don't function effectively when it stores up some residual power in its electrical components. For it to function properly again, you'd have to press all the buttons to drain all that stored up power. May be something like that happened.

Don't worry, your post was ok, and i didn't take offence.

I just wanted to mention that I was clutching at straws for ideas, and had come up with three straws that were slightly plausible, but none of them were rated as highly probable, or dead certs.

You have now added some extra context/detail, which explains why none of my three straws are plausible root causes.

Never heard of TV remotes not working correctly because of residual power. 

Unfortunately I can't think of any other possible causes at the moment - maybe your problem is known to Chord, but has a probability of affecting one in 100,000 users/year.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #19,957 of 42,765
As I have guessed.  Head-fi brands like Schitt are often overrated, and once compared with true traditional Hi-fi brands, it simply become what it name suggests. I hope head-fiers would wake up to scams in this hobby. While word-of-the-mouth is much needed for headphones and headphone amps because most of the brands are relatively new, people should realise that when it comes to source gear, there are companies which have existed for decades out there which would just easily beat the Schitt out of some head-fi brands.

I've never heard the Yggy or Dave, but because Dave sounds better than Yggy, doesn't make Schiit overrated. Dave is about 5 times the cost? Lots of people like Schiit, and their prices are very reasonable.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #19,959 of 42,765
dave is not 5 times of the price yggy as far as I know. it is around 3 times.

$13,000 USD / $2299 USD = 5.65463244889

:wink_face:

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #19,960 of 42,765
dave is not 5 times of the price yggy as far as I know. it is around 3 times.

Not in USA. It's 13300 USD against 2300 USD

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #19,961 of 42,765
Jul 14, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #19,962 of 42,765
If you guys are curious on how Yggdrasil stacks up against Chord DAC line up based on one user's opinion, visit thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil/315#post_12706590

He prefers Yggdrasil sound over any Chord current DAC line-up except for Mojo and DAVE.

Oh, I (I'm the thread-starter there) definitely prefer Yggdrasil over Mojo ... I just wasn't including it as part of the specific comparison (I reference it since more people are likely to be familiar with it).

Yggdrasil vs. DAVE is a much more interesting discussion. With a bit of luck I'll get to finish writing up my thoughts on DAVE tomorrow.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #19,963 of 42,765
Just to throw my 2c in... I auditoned the Yggdrasil paired with the Ragnarok and didn't think it came even close to the Dave. Pretty short sessions, but the Schiit gear definitely did not come off as immediately impressive as both the Dave and the Mojo. More listening time might could possibly change that, but I'm fairly sure of what I heard.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #19,964 of 42,765
If you guys are curious on how Yggdrasil stacks up against Chord DAC line up based on one user's opinion, visit thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil/315#post_12706590

He prefers Yggdrasil sound over any Chord current DAC line-up except for Mojo and DAVE.

While veering off topic in the Mojo thread I'll say that Torq has repeatedly mentioned that he is looking for a DAC to suit his him and tastes, not necessarily finding the best DAC out there. I commend him for his undertaking and his diligent, well written reports, but at the end of the day he is the only person that can call the winner for his preferences.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #19,965 of 42,765
While veering off topic in the Mojo thread I'll say that @Torq has repeatedly mentioned that he is looking for a DAC to suit his him and tastes, not necessarily finding the best DAC out there. I commend him for his undertaking and his diligent, well written reports, but at the end of the day he is the only person that can call the winner for his preferences.

and with all due respect, maybe that is the perfect dac for him.
the mojo isn't everyone's cup of tea...and that is perfectly fine, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back