Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 13, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #19,891 of 42,765
I am curious whether my Esoteric K-01 (which is even more expensive than the Dave) sounds better.  I guess details vs musicality. 

Measurably, absolutely no contest, DAVE wins. Amos (he owns the Yggy) says it's the best he's heard and now that he realizes how good music can be he wonders if he should just sell everything he doesn't need so he can get one. From this POST.

Many people I've talked to have said it's VERY musical and VERY detailed at the same time. One reply when I asked about the tonality of the DAVE compared to the Mojo vs Hugo was "...a Mojo with (greatly) enhanced resolution, clarity, extension and power."

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #19,892 of 42,765
Measurably, absolutely no contest, DAVE wins. Amos (he owns the Yggy) says it's the best he's heard and now that he realizes how good music can be he wonders if he should just sell everything he doesn't need so he can get one. From this POST.

Many people I've talked to have said it's VERY musical and VERY detailed at the same time. One reply when I asked about the tonality of the DAVE compared to the Mojo vs Hugo was "...a Mojo with (greatly) enhanced resolution, clarity, extension and power."

As I have guessed.  Head-fi brands like Schitt are often overrated, and once compared with true traditional Hi-fi brands, it simply become what it name suggests. I hope head-fiers would wake up to scams in this hobby. While word-of-the-mouth is much needed for headphones and headphone amps because most of the brands are relatively new, people should realise that when it comes to source gear, there are companies which have existed for decades out there which would just easily beat the Schitt out of some head-fi brands.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #19,893 of 42,765
As I have guessed.  Head-fi brands like Schitt are often overrated, and once compared with true traditional Hi-fi brands, it simply become what it name suggests. I hope head-fiers would wake up to scams in this hobby. While word-of-the-mouth is much needed for headphones and headphone amps because most of the brands are relatively new, people should realise that when it comes to source gear, there are companies which have existed for decades out there which would just easily beat the Schitt out of some head-fi brands.

I haven't heard the Yggy so I have no comment. A lot of people like it though so it must be doing something right.

Preconceived notions are difficult to overcome. I read all over that the Mojo can only power IEMs and that the Hugo's power is needed for full sized cans. Guess what, they have the same power output.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #19,894 of 42,765
I haven't heard the Yggy so I have no comment. A lot of people like it though so it must be doing something right.

Preconceived notions are difficult to overcome. I read all over that the Mojo can only power IEMs and that the Hugo's power is needed for full sized cans. Guess what, they have the same power output.

Yeah people are sometimes funny, the Mojo is smaller so it can't have the same power as the Hugo.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #19,896 of 42,765
Hoping someone can help me here. 

I just received a Mojo review unit, but unfortunately I can't seem to get it working on my LG G3 running official Android 6.0

Can anyone here confirm that they've got the Mojo working on a G3?

Thanks in advance

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #19,898 of 42,765
I sold my Hugo because Mojo did for about 90% the same. And i do drive LCD3 and TH900 with it. And i do also use as a desktop DAC. What did i do wrong :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:?

I agree the Mojo is the Hugo in smaller package. 
wink_face.gif
 Level matched comparison even sighted one make them sound the same to me.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #19,899 of 42,765
I had the Hugo and now the Mojo. I would disagree that the Mojo is a smaller version of Hugo. Apart from featuring a different chip, Mojo (or at least mine) tends to roll off the treble to the extent that ends of words aren't always clearly audible, e.g. Queen - A Kind of Magic omits the 'c' in 'magic', whereas no such roll off occurs on my MX-DAC or iPhone. I'm using it with a Sennheiser HD650 but the same happens when using a comparatively 'brighter' headphone like a Stax SR-007A or Sony MDR100AAP. Of course individual experience may vary, but try a more neutral DAC with the same track and the effect of the rolled off treble will become clear and this characteristic may start to become bothersome.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #19,900 of 42,765
I had the Hugo and now the Mojo. I would disagree that the Mojo is a smaller version of Hugo. Apart from featuring a different chip, Mojo (or at least mine) tends to roll off the treble to the extent that ends of words aren't always clearly audible, e.g. Queen - A Kind of Magic omits the 'c' in 'magic', whereas no such roll off occurs on my MX-DAC or iPhone. I'm using it with a Sennheiser HD650 but the same happens when using a comparatively 'brighter' headphone like a Stax SR-007A or Sony MDR100AAP. Of course individual experience may vary, but try a more neutral DAC with the same track and the effect of the rolled off treble will become clear and this characteristic may start to become bothersome.

I disagree with the rolled off treble claim. Sounds will sharp sound when they need to be and I still hear sibilance where tracks have them. The main difference between the Hugo and Mojo are how they reproduce the midrange. My other dacs artificially enhance the treble which in the long term causes fatigue and doesn't as sound natural.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #19,901 of 42,765

It's all about your sound preference. One user has extensively compared all of current Chord DAC line up against Yggy and concluded that Yggy beats them except for DAVE.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #19,902 of 42,765
I disagree with the rolled off treble claim. Sounds will sharp sound when they need to be and I still hear sibilance where tracks have them. The main difference between the Hugo and Mojo are how they reproduce the midrange. My other dacs artificially enhance the treble which in the long term causes fatigue and doesn't as sound natural.

It's more than a claim; Mojo has a warmer sound signature than Hugo which for some tracks results in the treble roll off and there are graphs on this this forum confirming this. I agree that Mojo is less fatiguing than Hugo, but this seems to have been achieved with the loss of articulation.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #19,903 of 42,765
Guys, just to mention a possible alternative DAC (desktop or main system) to the Mojo and other Chord DAC's and Schitt, etc.

I have the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, UK design but built in Malaysia (I think), I changed its wall-wort power supply for a laptop type.

It is a DAC only, I compared it to the Mojo in my main speaker system and for me the V90 was a clear winner for overall dynamics, soundstage, etc. but to be critical, on some occasions with certain material it can be a little clinical.

In comparison, the Mojo had a more up-front/forward vocals/mid range which can be endearing but for me at the expense of all the other attributes that I like about the V90.

It is still available on Amazon.com at $300 US but I paid £200 for mine on Amazon.co.uk. when it was widely available a few years ago but now there are only a few sellers (at higher prices) which leads me to think that a newer model could be on the way or perhaps it is discontinued?

I am tempted to try my V90 with the new iFi iPurifier 2 to see what all the fuss is about. All just my opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back