Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 12, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #19,861 of 42,765
Jul 12, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #19,862 of 42,765
  Thanks for the cable information and link. By the way, what is the length of your cable? and what will be the optimal cable length  if two units are placed side by side?

The cable from one pin to another measures 5.25". In my setup, the 2 ports are 3" apart, so I'd say around 3" - 3.25". 

You may want to be clear with the seller about describing the length. I requested for 3", and the seller thought I wanted just the cable part 3" long.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #19,863 of 42,765
  Not meaning to take the thread off-topic, but since we are in the business of seeking quality audio, I thought this is something that might be worth knowing/sharing:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782131/why-high-res-audio-is-bad-for-music-take-2#post_11943784

Interesting. Like opening a can of worms. To each his own...I just want my music to sound good. 
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #19,864 of 42,765
depending on your dap, it might work. for first gen fiio x players, it could, but for my x5ii it wont, it needs trrs to mono

Unfortunately it wont work with the 1st Gen Fiio DAPs either, as it is a stereo cable and not a coaxial cable. Stereo cables carry analog signals and coax cables carry digital signals. A coax cable that size would be lovely though.

Sorry for calling your statement wrong. Just learnt in the post below that the stereo cable can still be used for digital connection.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #19,865 of 42,765
Unfortunately it wont work with the 1st Gen Fiio DAPs either, as it is a stereo cable and not a coaxial cable. Stereo cables carry analog signals and coax cables carry digital signals. A coax cable that size would be lovely though.

False. There is no differentiation between digital voltage and analogue voltage besides one being sampled and one being continuous, and amplitude (The definition of digital is Sampled Data vs Continuous data for analogue). The wire doesn't care what label we put on the voltage. I've used a regular stereo interconnect from the 1st gen X5 to the Mojo and it works fine. I also can't reliably hear any difference between this and a 'proper' coaxial cable. The copper wire doesn't care if it's an analogue voltage or a sampled digital voltage. It will still pass along the signal. The difference is in the shielding and cable resistance. This will affect noise and ringing, especially at longer lengths, but at these short lengths the audible difference is zero to my ears. Of course others may hear a difference, but if going on the cheap it will and does work. Also, many iBasso owners have reported this to work as well.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #19,866 of 42,765
False. There is no differentiation between digital voltage and analogue voltage besides one being sampled and one being continuous, and amplitude (The definition of digital is Sampled Data vs Continuous data for analogue). The wire doesn't care what label we put on the voltage. I've used a regular stereo interconnect from the 1st gen X5 to the Mojo and it works fine. I also can't reliably hear any difference between this and a 'proper' coaxial cable. The copper wire doesn't care if it's an analogue voltage or a sampled digital voltage. It will still pass along the signal. The difference is in the shielding and cable resistance. This will affect noise and ringing, especially at longer lengths, but at these short lengths the audible difference is zero to my ears. Of course others may hear a difference, but if going on the cheap it will and does work. Also, many iBasso owners have reported this to work as well.

My apologies for the misinformation. I will edit my post. And thanks for sharing this.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #19,867 of 42,765
My apologies for the misinformation. I will edit my post. And thanks for sharing this.

I understand the confusion. No worries, it's a common misconception. The coaxial cable was developed specifically for extremely long lengths (like miles), and to be shielded from powerful EMI/RF, but audio seems to be more susceptible to longer length signals so it's often used even for 3' runs. These short lengths being used with the Mojo, without the proper resistance and shielding, don't seem to be affected audibly, although there may be measurable differences. I just can't hear them. YMMV, so the best advice I can give is to try it vs a 75 Ohm S/PDiF coaxial cable yourself.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #19,868 of 42,765

Do I have to use cable with TRS on both plugs or with TRS on one plug and TRRS on another plug?

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #19,869 of 42,765
Do I have to use cable with TRS on both plugs or with TRS on one plug and TRRS on another plug?

You only need a custom TRRS to TS/TRS cable if your DAP has a shared coaxial/line-out jack like the FiiO X3ii/X5ii/X7. If getting a custom cable just tell them what devices you are connecting and they should give you what you need. If not, don't use that cable maker. What DAP do you have?

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #19,870 of 42,765
To all Onkyo DP-X1 users, how do you stack mojo with DP-X1 and how do you carry them around during portable use?
I looked over everything (budget-friendly options) from 3M Double Lock, rubber bands, pelican case, other cases on the 3rd post and searched posts, but I can't really find one good method... 

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #19,871 of 42,765
You only need a custom TRRS to TS/TRS cable if your DAP has a shared coaxial/line-out jack like the FiiO X3ii/X5ii/X7. If getting a custom cable just tell them what devices you are connecting and they should give you what you need. If not, don't use that cable maker. What DAP do you have?

I'm going to buy Fiio X3ii as the transport. Do I connect TRRS plug to Fiio X3ii or to Mojo? By the way, I have a cable with TRS plugs on both ends. Will it work to connect  FiiO to Mojo?

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #19,872 of 42,765
I'm going to buy Fiio X3ii as the transport. Do I connect TRRS plug to Fiio X3ii or to Mojo? By the way, I have a cable with TRS plugs on both ends. Will it work to connect  FiiO to Mojo?

As I've tried to explain, you need to connect the TRRS to the X3ii because the X3ii/X5ii/X7 share the coaxial out with line-out. Mojo's end is TS. The ONLY time you can get away with using a regular TRS interconnect is with a DAP that DOES NOT SHARE the coaxial output with the line-out.

This is the Dyson Audio cable I use with the X5ii - TRRS from X5ii to Mojo TS:

I think some confusion is coming from the fact that the previous cable that was posted has a TRS right angle plug, but that doesn't mean the cable maker needs to wire it to all three poles. Like I said, just let the cable maker know which device you are connecting to the Mojo and they will solder it properly.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #19,873 of 42,765

TRRS plug to Fiio. TRS plugs won't work on Fiio X3ii, X5ii and X7 for certain.
It appears to work on X3 and X5 1st Gen devices.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #19,874 of 42,765
As I've tried to explain, you need to connect the TRRS to the X3ii because the X3ii/X5ii/X7 share the coaxial out with line-out. Mojo's end is TS. The ONLY time you can get away with using a regular TRS interconnect is with a DAP that DOES NOT SHARE the coaxial output with the line-out.

This is the Dyson Audio cable I use with the X5ii - TRRS from X5ii to Mojo TS:

I think some confusion is coming from the fact that the previous cable that was posted has a TRS right angle plug, but that doesn't mean the cable maker needs to wire it to all three poles. Like I said, just let the cable maker know which device you are connecting to the Mojo and they will solder it properly.

Thanks for your clear explanation. So I can use either TRRS to TS cable or TRRS to TRS cable to connect FiiO X3ii and Mojo, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back