Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 5, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #18,451 of 42,765
Apple Mac Mini>Audirvana+>Wyrd4Sound Recovery>Chord Mojo>CypherLabs Picollo>Campfire Audio Andromeda IEM or Grado GS2000e Balanced w/SE Adaptor= ENDGAME!!!!!

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #18,454 of 42,765
Andromeda is really that good?

Yes it is. It is balanced, quick, musical (but true to the recording), and source revealing. It is everything a flagship iem should be and it just happens to be a universal fit too so I can share the love with fellow musiclvrs. Happy listening!

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #18,455 of 42,765
Mojo owners...im seeking imput please.

Considering the mojo to replace some of my gear and would like to hear from those in a similar boat or who have done so.

I'm possibly selling my newly acquired dragonfly red and iFi micro iDSD, mercury cable, I purifier 2 and just getting the mojo to act as a one trick pony to do it all... to both pair with my ipod, as well as be used in my laptop setup as a preamp/dac with my mapletree head phone tube amp.

My cans aren't exceedingly difficult to drive: sony mdr 7520, senn hd 650.

Lastly my musical needs arent sophisticated like many of you...I am mostly streaming ( trialing both tidal hifi, spotify (320kps), have 500 itunes and am finally experimenting with flac for better downloads.

But darned the dragonfly red is nice and light...truly unobtrusive.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #18,456 of 42,765

Considering the mojo to replace alot of my gear ...would like to hear from those in a similar boat or who have done so.

I'm possibly selling my newly acquired dragonfly red and iFi micro iDSD, mercury cable, I purifier 2 and just getting the mojo to act as a one man do it all... to both pair with my ipod, as well as be used in my laptop setup as a preamp/dac with my mapletree head phone tube amp.

Why not keep the Dragonfly? Why keep only one?

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #18,457 of 42,765

Considering the mojo to replace slot of my gear and would like to hear from those in a similar boat or who have done so.

I'm possibly selling my newly acquired dragonfly red and iFi micro iDSD, mercury cable, I purifier 2 and just getting the mojo to act as a one man do it all... to both pair with my ipod, as well as be used in my laptop setup as a preamp/dac with my mapletree head phone tube amp.

Lastly my musical needs arent sophisticated like many of you...I am mostly streaming ( trialing both tidal hifi, spotify 3:smiley:(320kps), have 500 itunes and am finalky experimenting with flac for better downloads.

sell everything except the red, and get the mojo, red as a backup during mood swings

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #18,458 of 42,765
  The HTC10 isn't that bad actually. I have used almost every Android flagships this year including the S7Edge, V10, G5 and HTC10 - and the clear winner in the headphone output department is HTC10, with or without Boomsound turned on. Pretty amazing for a mobile phone if you ask me.

reason is, i believe it has a separate dac and amp that isn't tied into the 820 chip:

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

excerpt:   Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 does a lot of things right, but clear audio isn't one of those things. Something in the digital to analog converter circuit introduces an extreme amount of noise and crosstalk into the analog output, and phones like the U.S. Galaxy S7 and LG G5 sound pretty poor because of this. After doing some testing, I was presented with results that just didn't make sense from the HTC 10 — it was better than it should be, even with extra work and attention to the analog circuit that brings signal from the DAC output to the headphone jack. You can only do so much magic to a bad signal. I asked HTC how they did it, and found out that some assumptions about the HTC 10 audio hardware that the internet (and myself) has are incorrect. 
The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp and isn't using the Snapdragon 820 DAC. This is pretty important, and why the HTC 10 sounds as good as it does.
We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components.
one fellow headfier did a comparison between the mojo and his htc 10
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/807570/review-on-htc-10-and-sound-quality/60
post #62
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/d0/100x100px-LS-d07d2dcc_upload-25d91220-1dd5-11e4-bc0e-5508d95f290d.jpeg[/img]
  1. doraymon
  2. badge_100.v1509773630.png
  4. offline

:

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #18,460 of 42,765

Considering the mojo to replace slot of my gear and would like to hear from those in a similar boat or who have done so.

I'm possibly selling my newly acquired dragonfly red and iFi micro iDSD, mercury cable, I purifier 2 and just getting the mojo to act as a one pony do it all... to both pair with my ipod, as well as be used in my laptop setup as a preamp/dac with my mapletree head phone tube amp.

Lastly my musical needs arent sophisticated like many of you...I am mostly streaming ( trialing both tidal hifi, spotify (320kps), have 500 itunes and am finally experimenting with flac for better downloads.

I stream youtube videos with mojo to AQ Nighthawks most of the time so no worries. (due to my native country's songs are not on American Spotify etc./ Plannijg on getting a CD player soon and just playing through cds) but anyway, I had the AQ black, and it is no comparison to Mojo. I just don't like the idea of more sources in the chain due to simplicity and also distortion factors.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #18,461 of 42,765
Why not keep the Dragonfly? Why keep only one?

I don't think he's hardcore audio enthusiast and many don't see the point of having two amps etc. Plus, you can spend the money towards your new gear with your sold stuff. You never know how much the guy have set the budget for his audio hobby. ( although most of the time that goes out the window sooner or later) :D

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #18,462 of 42,765
Just for those who's new to Jriver and using Mojo with SPIDF connection, don't forget to set the volume playback to "disable audio" since mojo has its hardware volume control. It bypasses different OS software volume levels in the chain and results in better sound since volume playback is only being controlled through single source at hardware level.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #18,465 of 42,765
Using a good optical cable (e.g. from Sys Concept or from Lifatec) I have found the Mojo sounds significantly better than either Coax or USB.

Now, using a cheap, long, plastic fiber things were very different, but as soon as you switch to a decent quality cable then optical should beat out the USB quite handily.  Mojo seems quite sensitive to noise via USB, even using very high-spec cables.

I believe Rob has posted in this thread that his preferred interface for Mojo is optical.

Just got the glass fiber Toslink to Toslink Lifatec cable in and wow it sounds very nice. I have here the Audioquest Cinnamon Toslink cable which cost around the same and it's no comparison. It sounds better than even the Audioquest Vodka Toslink cable which cost me $250.00. Rep'd you for very good recommendation! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back