Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 4, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #18,436 of 42,765
Velcro and dont drop it.

I'm doing this with my DX50 and the Mojo and I feel like I'm carrying a brick around.. on their own the DX50 and the Mojo are really portable, but velcro-ed together it starts becoming unwieldy.. which leads me to this question: can someone recommend the smallest DAP they know that has a digital out? With a Mojo the headphone/line out doesn't matter anymore, ideally someone should create something as small and light as a Sansa Clip with a USB digital out and that would be great!

I tried weaning myself off the DX50 and use my iPhone instead as I'm always carrying that around, but the Onkyo HF player doesn't have the best usability and convenience as a true standalone drag and drop MP3 player..

So does anyone have any recommendations for the smallest DAP you know with a digital out? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #18,437 of 42,765
 Hi @taz23

Thanks for your feedback, it is interesting. Please which Intona version did you purchase ? Standard or Industrial one ?
For an audiophile usage, there is no reason to choose anything else than the standard one but it seems that some have noticed some improvement with the industrial one.

In my electronic point of view,  I will not stack more USB 'cleaners/purifiers' to your Intona.
By adding items acting at same level (clocking/impedance/RF isolation) and interfaces (cables) you are adding more noises not the opposite.

In an audiophile point of view, only your ears will know if the result sound is pleasing better or not.

Cheers.:beerchug:

Hi @Arpiben,

I am using the standard version. Add you said, some reported better results with the Industrial version. My limited pocket prevented me from getting the Industrial version and Regen. But hearing what you said seems to make sense too; I also prefer a simple setup as much as possible.

Now, instead of a laptop, I am thinking of trying an Android media box like HiMedia Q10 Pro to be the source and feed my DAC. A Raspberry Pi seems more complicated. If anyone has any experience or comments, I'd be happy to hear them.

Many thanks!

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #18,438 of 42,765
I'm doing this with my DX50 and the Mojo and I feel like I'm carrying a brick around.. on their own the DX50 and the Mojo are really portable, but velcro-ed together it starts becoming unwieldy.. which leads me to this question: can someone recommend the smallest DAP they know that has a digital out? With a Mojo the headphone/line out doesn't matter anymore, ideally someone should create something as small and light as a Sansa Clip with a USB digital out and that would be great!

I tried weaning myself off the DX50 and use my iPhone instead as I'm always carrying that around, but the Onkyo HF player doesn't have the best usability and convenience as a true standalone drag and drop MP3 player..

So does anyone have any recommendations for the smallest DAP you know with a digital out? :)

A Stack

Smaller stack

Smallest stack.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #18,439 of 42,765
Just started using my Mojo to listen to Spotify through a Macbook Pro and the audio keeps cutting in and out, it's perfectly fine if played through the laptop speakers or wifi streamed to a receiver but with the Mojo the signal cuts in and out every 5 to 10 seconds.  Any idea whats happening?

(works perfectly when using Fidelia or Vox with FLAC)

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #18,440 of 42,765

So does anyone have any recommendations for the smallest DAP you know with a digital out? :)

Sony NWZ-A15, NWZ-A17, NW-A25, NW-A27.

When used standalone, these devices last 30-40hrs depending on the files being played. But when these do digital out, their battery life comes down to ~15hrs, which is still pretty good. The UI is also amazing. You can transfer files to the device via Bluetooth from you PC or Mac. IMO, Mojo+A15 seems like the best of 2 worlds. Great Usabilty + Great Sound.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #18,441 of 42,765
I dropped by Audio High in Mountain View yesterday and picked one of these (Chord Mojo) up. I was keeping my expectations in check after reading several reviews and especially after seeing in-person just how tiny this thing is. Wow, it's really pretty amazing... I'm practically ready to sell off my desktop rig at this point.

Audirvana Plus (on MacBook Pro) > USB > Mojo > HE-560 and I swear it sounds just as sweet/smooth as any of the desktop equipment I've owned or tried thus far. Can't wait until my Ether C order arrives on Monday :)

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #18,444 of 42,765
  I dropped by Audio High in Mountain View yesterday and picked one of these (Chord Mojo) up. I was keeping my expectations in check after reading several reviews and especially after seeing in-person just how tiny this thing is. Wow, it's really pretty amazing... I'm practically ready to sell off my desktop rig at this point.

Audirvana Plus (on MacBook Pro) > USB > Mojo > HE-560 and I swear it sounds just as sweet/smooth as any of the desktop equipment I've owned or tried thus far. Can't wait until my Ether C order arrives on Monday :)

You will love the Ether C with the Mojo :)

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #18,445 of 42,765

Having the exact same set-up of Audirvana+ Macbook Pro into Mojo into HE-560. I'm enjoying every second of it. Also a lot of fun to switch between the HE-560 and the more aggressive SR325e depending on the music I'm listening to, the Mojo is capable to bring both of these headphones to a very good level :).

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #18,447 of 42,765
  Ive tried to search regarding differences between USB X Coax X Optical...
Ever since I started using Mojo was by its USB input and the lack of info on upper treble really annoyed me. 
Today I found an old SPDIF cable that I used to rip my MD´s and decided to give a try on mojo.. why not? To my surprise the upper treble was in the right spot, like magic. 

Why is it possible to have a difference like that, even using a mac mini as SPDIF source?

Quote:

Has anyone here compared Optical vs Usb on the Mojo? Iv'e been experimenting with different Optical cables but I still can't get it to sound as good as my phone with the otg cable. I first used an amazon basics cable and disliked the sound immediately. It sounded very dull and lifeless. 

The second cable I tried was a Belkin one and that one improved the transparency and overall SQ but still didn't sound as good as the cable from my phone. 
My gaming computer is quite noisy so by using Optical I pretty much bypass all the noise and RF issues associated with usb audio.
Also, is the Mojo immune to source jitter like Dave?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Optical cable? I found some Audioquest ones but I think there should be others that offer a better value.

Using a good optical cable (e.g. from Sys Concept or from Lifatec) I have found the Mojo sounds significantly better than either Coax or USB.

Now, using a cheap, long, plastic fiber things were very different, but as soon as you switch to a decent quality cable then optical should beat out the USB quite handily.  Mojo seems quite sensitive to noise via USB, even using very high-spec cables.

I believe Rob has posted in this thread that his preferred interface for Mojo is optical.

I have no particular personal opinion on optical vs. USB, but the above conflicting opinions are interesting, in light of Rob's comments, some months ago:

.... Optical has a undeservedly poor reputation, as it sounds much smoother and darker than other inputs, and this is just a feature of lower noise floor modulation - its smoother with better instrument separation and focus - but lack of glare is often confused with a lack of detail resolution. Listening tests must be done with a lot of care, as it is easy to draw the wrong conclusions!

Rob

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #18,448 of 42,765
  Just started using my Mojo to listen to Spotify through a Macbook Pro and the audio keeps cutting in and out, it's perfectly fine if played through the laptop speakers or wifi streamed to a receiver but with the Mojo the signal cuts in and out every 5 to 10 seconds.  Any idea whats happening?

(works perfectly when using Fidelia or Vox with FLAC)

I also listen to spotify > MB Pro > mojo with no issues at all.    Make sure your usb cable from MB Pro > Mojo is ok.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #18,449 of 42,765
From the Audeze Sine thread. Nice. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793518/audeze-sine-series/1350#post_12629669

We use it all the time..even for testing internally. It sounds awesome.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #18,450 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back