Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 30, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #18,226 of 42,765
Are i-users satisfied with just the apple device - mojo - great headphones?

I use Tidal through the MacBook Pro, Mojo, and great headphones.  This is also the same with iPhone:  Tidal, Mojo, Headphones. 

Am I missing something?

The Tidal is "hi fi" settings, and a DAP with lossless files is not in the cards right now.  I bailed on Apple's music program and it wiped out my library after the trial ended.  I love the products and hate the company.  

So it is just TIDAL -  Mojo...for everything.  It seems marvelous but if there is an even better step upwards...

Are other apple users satisfied with this, or do you recommend something else?

May 30, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #18,227 of 42,765
  Hi all,

Today D.A.R. is offering us IMHO,quite an objective article about why USB audio SQ may varies.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/05/gordon-rankin-on-why-usb-audio-quality-varies/
Cheers.
popcorn.gif

Interesting article.
Seems to partly prove my experience with Cinnamon cable. It is an obviously clearer, more detailed sound with a darker background (black with Mojo).
I tried A/B switch with 3 different but cheap usb cables. The difference was always clear to my ears immediately. On the other hand though, I can't really justify £50+ usb cables.

(I have no intention to encourage any cable debate, but reading the shared article made me share these thoughts.) :)

May 30, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #18,228 of 42,765

I use Tidal through the MacBook Pro, Mojo, and great headphones.  This is also the same with iPhone:  Tidal, Mojo, Headphones. 

Am I missing something?

The Tidal is "hi fi" settings, and a DAP with lossless files is not in the cards right now.  I bailed on Apple's music program and it wiped out my library after the trial ended.  I love the products and hate the company.  

So it is just TIDAL -  Mojo...for everything.  It seems marvelous but if there is an even better step upwards...

Peter, I don't mean to offend you, by calling you rude names, but... you're beginning to sound like (drum-roll and shock-horror fanfare...) an AUDIOPHILE!!
eek.gif

wink_face.gif

May 30, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #18,229 of 42,765

Am I missing something?

You can stick with what you already own and play lossless files without having to purchase a DAP. Just get an app like Onkyo HF Player or iAudioGate, and you can play FLAC/ALAC/etc on your iDevice.

I don't personally think you're "missing" anything.

May 30, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #18,230 of 42,765

Am I missing something?

I am/was planning to use my to be acquired Mojo with my iPhone 6 as it will be a travel only set but reading about the new iPhone 7 which I was planning to get for more storage (6 only has 64GB), I'm reading that the next gen iPhone will not have a 3.5mm output socket.  I might have to get a separate DAP which defeats the purpose of keeping a light kit.

May 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #18,231 of 42,765
Hey Peter,
I assume you are thinking of a software solution rather than a completely new source device... In this case I am of no help, because I share the hatred towards apple :D
Concerning the 'stationary' setup, meaning the MacBook I am confident that you can get a big leap in SQ by going for a dedicated music streamer. It starts with a DIY RASPBERRY PI for we'll under 100$

Cheers

May 30, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #18,232 of 42,765

I am/was planning to use my to be acquired Mojo with my iPhone 6 as it will be a travel only set but reading about the new iPhone 7 which I was planning to get for more storage (6 only has 64GB), I'm reading that the next gen iPhone will not have a 3.5mm output socket.  I might have to get a separate DAP which defeats the purpose of keeping a light kit.

I wouldn't stress about that. It's not even 100% confirmed that they're dropping 3.5mm in lieu of strictly Lightning (just yet, that is -- they will in the future, but maybe not as soon as iPhone 7 after all).

Even if they do, there will immediately be cables/adapters/options galore to account for the 99% of the population relying on 3.5mm headphone sockets.

Regardless of what happens, that's why I opted for Sine + Cipher cable. It truly sounds amazing, and I'm covered with iPhones and iPods present and future.

May 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #18,233 of 42,765

But you are still covered if you are going to use Mojo with iPhone 6 - it's connecting via lightning with this combo. No?

May 30, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #18,234 of 42,765

Interesting article.
Seems to partly prove my experience with Cinnamon cable. It is an obviously clearer, more detailed sound with a darker background (black with Mojo).
I tried A/B switch with 3 different but cheap usb cables. The difference was always clear to my ears immediately. On the other hand though, I can't really justify £50+ usb cables.

(I have no intention to encourage any cable debate, but reading the shared article made me share these thoughts.) :)

No debate cable here either.

IMO, one of the important aspects to be noted is the one of output/input USB/SPDIF specs tolerance for DAP&DAC.

For example SPDIF coaxial impedance is given at 75 Ohms plus minus 25%. Therefore depending on manufacturers pairing you may have up to 37.5 Ohms impedance differences between output and input with both items protocol compliant.
Regarding USB and other tolerances it behaves identically.

Now you may have the best cable in the world, it will not help correcting any DAP/DAC impedance matching issues.

The opposite is also true;i.e. let's imagine DAP&DAC have very good impedance matching. Now if you connect both items with a non proper impedance cable you will reduce your SQ.

It is probably the reason why with some equipemt pairings it works and some others it doesn't.

Until we don't have more restrictive tolerances from protocol authorities for audio as well as manufacturers publishing the values, we will need to  keep trying and believe our ears.

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #18,235 of 42,765

Am I missing something?

I am very satisfied listening from my iDevice to Mojo to great headphones (LA7000). I have been using my iPad Air to stream Apple Lossless via Home Sharing, using the default iOS music player. I've even experimented with DSD (you can convert to DoP and it will stream via default iOS music player). I get the white light on Mojo, but I can't hear any improvement over RedBook, so I think I'm done chasing hi-rez formats down (just as I got started). I tried Mojo via Foobar ASIO in Windows, and did not like it as much as iOS. Sounded noisier and not as black of a background. But I was plugging into a USB hub and made no effort to tweak anything to improve, as I almost never listen at the PC. After Mojo warms up (hard to prove, but I feel like it improves once it gets warm), iOS to Mojo to LA7000 is absolutely end-game quality to me. It's hard for me to imagine better for my particular listening preferences. 

May 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #18,236 of 42,765

No debate cable here either.

IMO, one of the important aspects to be noted is the one of output/input USB/SPDIF specs tolerance for DAP&DAC.

For example SPDIF coaxial impedance is given at 75 Ohms plus minus 25%. Therefore depending on manufacturers pairing you may have up to 37.5 Ohms impedance differences between output and input with both items protocol compliant.
Regarding USB and other tolerances it behaves identically.

Now you may have the best cable in the world, it will not help correcting any DAP/DAC impedance matching issues.

The opposite is also true;i.e. let's imagine DAP&DAC have very good impedance matching. Now if you connect both items with a non proper impedance cable you will reduce your SQ.

It is probably the reason why with some equipemt pairings it works and some others it doesn't.

Until we don't have more restrictive tolerances from protocol authorities for audio as well as manufacturers publishing the values, we will need to  keep trying and believe our ears.

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

I think, you are right.
But this leads us to another more theoretical question. Is it possible to measure all the attributes and properties of sound by machines? 
In my opinion we should spend more time with enjoying our music than thinking about the theoretical and psychological structure of being an audiophile. :)

May 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #18,237 of 42,765
I think, you are right.

But this leads us to another more theoretical question. Is it possible to measure all the attributes and properties of sound by machines? 

In my opinion we should spend more time with enjoying our music than thinking about the theoretical and psychological structure of being an audiophile. :)
Thinking the thinking then hoping then hoping.

May 30, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #18,238 of 42,765

I think, you are right.

You are totally right.
Time for listenning now.
Thks.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back