Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #17,402 of 42,765
I find my android phone + Spotify via usb very very good compared with uapp, clics and poor sound...

Out of interest, what version of Android are you using?
I ask because with my Xperia Z3 running Lollipop, I never experienced any of these RF interference or clicks people mentioned.
Today I upgraded to the official Marshmallow OS. Oh dear. Now I get clicks frequently. More when WI-FI is enabled, but also in flight mode.
I'm going to email UAPP to see what they think.

May 9, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #17,405 of 42,765
  Is there anything better at the 600$ price point for desktop use than the MoJo?

Would use it with Ether C and HD600

I don't think there is at 600.00  .   I can't speak of the Bitfrost MB as I haven't heard it.   The non MB Bitfrost didn't impress me much.

May 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #17,406 of 42,765
I tried connecting my HTC 10 directly to Mojo without OTG cable.

And its works :), but the Mojo keep showing BLUE color as it receive 192K even when I play 44K

May 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #17,407 of 42,765
  I tried connecting my HTC 10 directly to Mojo without OTG cable.

And its works :), but the Mojo keep showing BLUE color as it receive 192K even when I play 44K

And are you using an app to avoid Androids automatic upsampling to 24/192?

May 9, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #17,408 of 42,765
For the newcomers to Mojo and to this thread, welcome, and, as per the thread title, please make sure to read post #3, as there is a huge amount of useful information and discussion contained therein
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #17,409 of 42,765
Roscoe, what do you think of the Mojo/KSE1500 combination?

LOVE IT. I haven't swapped in and out a bunch of DACs or DAPs, but this combo is the best that the 1500s have sounded (not terribly surprisingly). 

Other sources used: LG V10 (ESS DAC), GeekOut 400, Schiit Fulla. So again, not surprising that Mojo is best of the bunch. But Mojo was also recommended by 1500 owners who've tried many more highend sources with them. 

May 9, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #17,410 of 42,765
LOVE IT. I haven't swapped in and out a bunch of DACs or DAPs, but this combo is the best that the 1500s have sounded (not terribly surprisingly). 

Other sources used: LG V10 (ESS DAC), GeekOut 400, Schiit Fulla. So again, not surprising that Mojo is best of the bunch. But Mojo was also recommended by 1500 owners who've tried many more highend sources with them. 

I am really glad. I cannot imagine my KSE1500 without my Mojo. With both chasing the fastest transient response and the slight warmth of the Mojo it is a marriage made in auditory heaven.

May 9, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #17,411 of 42,765
  I don't get it, mojo sounds so awesome from my imac -> (cheap amazon) optical cable -> Oriolus IEM or Senn HD800 .... but when I want to be portable and switch to my android phone with UAPP and usb-cable the sound is just different (worse!)... I don't get any RF noise or glitches, it is just that the soundstage is smaller, the sound is not as clear, midrange seems more recessed etc....

How is that possible with a digital data transfer? hmm... such a mystery... When I listen from my phone the mojo-magic is just not there.... then on the imac... bam! all the mojo-magic is back!

I am thinking of buying an AK100 as a source now as I think the optical connection might be just better than usb... does anybody has a comparison with it and other sources, maybe imac through optical? Hope the AK100 is as good as the imac

If you aren't getting good sound, very likely the software is up-sampling. Be careful that if you aren't using software that is setting the sample rate to match the music that this isn't happening. You can check the rate the Mojo is receiving by the color of the power button. If you're listening to a 44.1k file and the Mojo isn't showing a red light, then your computer or phone is up-sampling.  By default OSX will send at the highest rate that the DAC can take through the connection used (except if using optical). That will sound bad for sure. 

Ican speak for either of these cables, but I found them looking for a plausible way to eliminate the Apple CCK connection cable between the Chord Mojo & my iPhone 6s Plus!  One apparently/obvious has the CCK cable embedded,  and the other does have the CCK have it in the cable at all. Your guess is as good as mine on the absence of the CCK chip?  

1.  Chip: http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

2. No Chip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Lightning-to-Chord-Hugo-Mojo-interconnect-cable-Iphone-4-5-6-/172158889773?hash=item2815782f2d:g:WOsAAOSwYIhWhPFU

Both are hacks of the Lightning CCK. You cannot use the Mojo from an iPhone without the CCK chip in the cable. 

May 9, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #17,413 of 42,765

If you aren't getting good sound, very likely the software is up-sampling. Be careful that if you aren't using software that is setting the sample rate to match the music that this isn't happening. You can check the rate the Mojo is receiving by the color of the power button. If you're listening to a 44.1k file and the Mojo isn't showing a red light, then your computer or phone is up-sampling.  By default OSX will send at the highest rate that the DAC can take through the connection used (except if using optical). That will sound bad for sure. 

Both are hacks of the Lightning CCK. You cannot use the Mojo from an iPhone without the CCK chip in the cable. 

I have a question about the bolded part. When I connect a dac to my mac, it automatically chooses max settings possible resolution wise. I was switching back and forth between max settings and 16/44 and I could swear the 16/44 sounded better. So is it a case of upscaling making songs sound worse? Sorry I don't mean to take it OT, just something I wanted to clarify. TIA!

May 9, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #17,414 of 42,765
I have a question about the bolded part. When I connect a dac to my mac, it automatically chooses max settings possible resolution wise. I was switching back and forth between max settings and 16/44 and I could swear the 16/44 sounded better. So is it a case of upscaling making songs sound worse? Sorry I don't mean to take it OT, just something I wanted to clarify. TIA!

The up-sampler in the computer is much worse than the WTA filter in the Mojo so according to Rob it's always best to leave the original file playing at it's native sampling rate to allow the Mojo to do it's amazing filtering from a bit perfect signal. I find that generally the up-sampling in computers is pretty bad compared to the filters in a good DAC at a given sampling rate. The only thing up-sampling (or real time conversion to DSD) is good for, IMO, is marketing to people who don't know any better. YMMV. That's the main reason I purchased Audirvana+ for the Mac long ago (way before Mojo), so I don't have to constantly switch the sampling rate in the Midi controller.

I'd also like to point out, in general, that sounding 'better' is so subjective that it really would help if 'better' was defined. For example, "16/44.1 (the original bit depth/sampling rate) sounded smoother with no up-sampling, less harsh". This would go a long way on Head Fi to understand what is going on, and for so many different threads. 'Better' is so ambiguous and subjective.

BTW, how have you been Tamal?

May 9, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #17,415 of 42,765

Correct about what OSX does. You do NOT want it to do this. OSX up-sampling is of far inferior quality to what the Mojo is capable of. Many of us use products such as Audirvana Plus, Amarra, Vox and others that automatically changes the output to match the track being played. You also do not want system sounds being played through the same output as the music, as that will degrade the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back