Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #16,501 of 42,765
Where did you get that cable? Trying to find one that's not near $100 is proving to be difficult. Lol.

There have been some good results with the FiiO non-FiiO L 9 cable.  Mine is okay most of the time, but not always.  I am giving the Larvicable a chance and asked for it to be a bit shorter which they do at no charge.  Although it is expensive, users report it to be reliable and well made.  I am impatient for the module because I do not enjoy listening without Mojo, and I do not like the treadmill without music and I do very much like to eat, and my wife likes, so very much, to cook, so as you might imagine....

The Mojo has become indispensable.  

I am spoiled.

I am not alone in this, judging by the 1100 pages of enthusiasm and gratitude expressed of and to Chord.   

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #16,502 of 42,765
Thanks a lot!
So I will try ExactAudioCopy.
Guess the weekend is set up then, got a few hundred cds to rip...

CHEERS

Ouch... a few hundred, huh? Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that'll take you several days. It takes grit and determination to rip a CD collection (I did mine, which is circa 1000 CDs, early last year), but if you stick-it-out,you are rewarded with many years of listening enjoyment.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #16,503 of 42,765
Ouch... a few hundred, huh? Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that'll take you several days. It takes grit and determination to rip a CD collection (I did mine, which is circa 1000 CDs, early last year), but if you stick-it-out,you are rewarded with many years of listening enjoyment.

Yeah I hope it will be worth it but
since I have a lot stuff that isn't available on Tidal Hifi (some albums are there, but in 96kbs Bitrate!) there is one reward and I can kill all phone connections while listening :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #16,505 of 42,765
OK i know before anyone says anything that this will have been well debated and varying opinions but based on using Mojo would WAV files make any difference to using FLAC?  They didnt on my DAPs?
try it, listen to the same track. One in Flac and one in WAV.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #16,506 of 42,765
  OK i know before anyone says anything that this will have been well debated and varying opinions but based on using Mojo would WAV files make any difference to using FLAC?  They didnt on my DAPs?

Mojo doesn't know if the source file was .wav or .flac.

It just sees a bitstream that the transport device has already decoded and sent across the digital-out, as PCM

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #16,507 of 42,765

It just sees a bitstream that the transport device has already decoded and sent across the digital-out, as PCM
But MP3 Vs Flac there will be a difference? Ogg Vs Wav ?

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #16,508 of 42,765

But MP3 Vs Flac there will be a difference? Ogg Vs Wav ?

Ahh, that's different.

FLAC is a so-called 'Lossless' codec, that does not discard any information that was present in the original PCM / .WAV file. It just 'packs' the data more efficiently. The same is true for .ALAC and .APE, which are equivalent lossless codecs, but less-widely-supported by playback devices, which is why audiophiles have a tendency to focus upon .flac as the open-standard lossless codec of choice.

So-called 'Lossy' codecs like .mp3, .AAC, and .Ogg do discard some information from the original file, in order to achieve a much-smaller file. This discarding of information tends to be done according to an algorithm derived from a psychoacoustic model that tries to discard only elements of data that are considered to be inaudible (or almost-inaudible). They're very clever, but they're certainly not perfect.

So, you can see that a .FLAC, .ALAC, or .APE file, when decompressed, becomes (broadly-speaking) 'identical' to the .WAV / PCM source file from which the .FLAC / .ALAC / .APE file was originally derived.

In contrast, however, an .mp3, .AAC, or .Ogg file, when decompressed, does create a PCM data stream, but it lacks some of the original detailed information that was contained within the original .WAV / PCM, so the sound quality may not be subjectively perceived as being as good as that achieved with a file that has never had any information discarded.

That, then, is the reason why audiophiles like to use .FLAC, as it is a compromise solution that retains the original quality, but allows about 30% or so reduction in filesize, by more efficiently packing the data, on the storage medium, without irretrievably discarding any audio information.

The issue can be complicated a little further, though, because some transport devices (and DAPs) may generate more circuitry or RF noise (due to increased CPU activity) when decompressing files on-the-fly, and/or may generate more circuitry or RF noise when transferring large data files from memory cards. Even some full-sized desktop transports can have similar issues, especially if their storage media is a conventional electro-mechanical computer hard-drive, because the electric motor in these hard-drives can be a potential source of physical and electrical and RF noise.

In most of these scenarios, well-implemented buffering can help reduce such issues, but there are some devices where the noise is quite obvious, and there can be some variation depending on how tightly-compressed the file data is (which influences not only the stored size of the file, but also the potential CPU-load during on-the-fly decompression. Even .flac files have 9 different compression levels available, with 5 / middle generally being the most-recommended - some devices will even refuse, or fail, to play .flac files encoded at higher compression ratios).
So, sometimes induced noise can be worse when retrieving larger, losslessly-compressed (.FLAC, .ALAC, .APE), or non-compressed (.WAV, .DSD, etc.), files, from the memory card or hard-drive, which is an irritating (and, strictly-speaking, unnecessary) paradox.

Aside from minor hardware issues like those described above, broadly-speaking, a .WAV, .FLAC, or .DSD file does have a better chance of sounding better than an .Ogg, .AAC, or .mp3 file, since no original data has been irretrievably-discarded, although you can get surprisingly good results with .Ogg, .AAC, or .mp3 if it is at a high-bitrate, since less data is being discarded by the encoder algorithm.

Lastly, it does depend, to a degree, on the complexity of the actual music you like to listen to. If you listen to real-life acoustic or orchestral recordings, that contain masses of timbral detail, numerous seperate instruments (and seperate, simultaneously-plucked, strings), complex spatial cues, etc., etc., then differences between codecs might be a little more apparent, but if you listen to synthesized, or computer-generated music (EDM, etc.), then differences between codecs might be a little less apparent. To put it another way, some types of music pose more of a challenge to a psychoacoustic-based algorithm than others do.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #16,509 of 42,765
  My solution for fast Mojo attachment to Phone:

Slightly modded because of Home button:

These are much better than rubber bands since they don't block the screen.

For anyone that wants to buy one of these like I just did:

http://www.amazon.com/TFY-Security-Hand-strap-Samsung-Smartphones/dp/B00R458WE0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #16,510 of 42,765
Ahh, that's different.

Flac is a so-called 'Lossless' codec, that does not discard any information that was present in the original PCM / .WAV file.

So-called 'Lossy' codecs like .mp3 and .Ogg dodiscard some information from the original file, in order to achieve a much-smaller file. This discarding of information tends to be done according to an algorithm derived from a psychoacoustic model that tries to discard only elements of data that are considered to be inaudible (or almost-inaudible).

So, you can see that a .flac file, when decompressed, becomes (broadly-speaking) 'identical' to the .WAV / PCM source file from which the .flac was originally derived.

In contrast, however, an .mp3 or .Ogg file, when decompressed, does create a PCM data stream, but it lacks some of the original detailed information that was contained within the original .WAV / PCM, so the sound quality may not be subjectively perceived as being as good as that achieved with a file that has never had any information discarded. That, then. is the reason why audiophiles like to use .flac, as it is a compromise solution that retains the original quality, but allows about 30% or so of the data to be safely compressed, without irretrievably discarding any information.

The issue can be complicated a little further, though, because some transport devices (and DAPs) may generate more circuitry or RF noise (due to increased CPU activity) when decompressing files on-the-fly, and/or may generate more circuitry or RF noise when transferring large data files from memory cards. Buffering can help this, but there are some devices where the noise is quite obvious, and there can be some variation depending on how tightly-compressed the file data is (even .flac files have 9 different compression levels available, with 5 / middle being the most-recommended, generally), and how big the overall file size is, on the storage chip.

Broadly-speaking, a .wav or .flac file does have a better chance of sounding better than an .Ogg or .mp3 file, since no original data has been irretrievably-discarded, although you can get surprisingly good results with .Ogg, .AAC,  or .mp3 if it is at a high-bitrate

Lastly, it does depend, to a degree, on the complexity of the actual music you like to listen to. If you listen to real-life acoustic or orchestral recordings, that contain masses of timbral detail, numerous seperate instruments (and seperate, simultaneously-plucked, strings), spatial cues, etc., etc., then differences between codes might be a little more apparent, but if you listen to synthesized, or computer-generated music (EDM, etc.), then differences between codecs might be a little less apparent.

Thanks that was helpful.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #16,511 of 42,765

Ahh, that's different.

Flac is a so-called 'Lossless' codec, that does not discard any information that was present in the original PCM / .WAV file.

So-called 'Lossy' codecs like .mp3 and .Ogg do discard some information from the original file, in order to achieve a much-smaller file. This discarding of information tends to be done according to an algorithm derived from a psychoacoustic model that tries to discard only elements of data that are considered to be inaudible (or almost-inaudible). They're very clever, but they're certainly not perfect.

So, you can see that a .flac file, when decompressed, becomes (broadly-speaking) 'identical' to the .WAV / PCM source file from which the .flac was originally derived.

In contrast, however, an .mp3 or .Ogg file, when decompressed, does create a PCM data stream, but it lacks some of the original detailed information that was contained within the original .WAV / PCM, so the sound quality may not be subjectively perceived as being as good as that achieved with a file that has never had any information discarded. That, then. is the reason why audiophiles like to use .flac, as it is a compromise solution that retains the original quality, but allows about 30% or so of the data to be safely compressed, without irretrievably discarding any information.

The issue can be complicated a little further, though, because some transport devices (and DAPs) may generate more circuitry or RF noise (due to increased CPU activity) when decompressing files on-the-fly, and/or may generate more circuitry or RF noise when transferring large data files from memory cards. Buffering can help this, but there are some devices where the noise is quite obvious, and there can be some variation depending on how tightly-compressed the file data is (even .flac files have 9 different compression levels available, with 5 / middle being the most-recommended, generally), and how big the overall file size is, on the storage chip.

Aside from minor hardware issues like those described above, broadly-speaking, a .wav or .flac file does have a better chance of sounding better than an .Ogg or .mp3 file, since no original data has been irretrievably-discarded, although you can get surprisingly good results with .Ogg, .AAC,  or .mp3 if it is at a high-bitrate

Lastly, it does depend, to a degree, on the complexity of the actual music you like to listen to. If you listen to real-life acoustic or orchestral recordings, that contain masses of timbral detail, numerous seperate instruments (and seperate, simultaneously-plucked, strings), spatial cues, etc., etc., then differences between codecs might be a little more apparent, but if you listen to synthesized, or computer-generated music (EDM, etc.), then differences between codecs might be a little less apparent. To put it another way, some types of music pose more of a challenge to a psychoacoustic-based algorithm than others do.

Cheers thanks.  May give it a go and see what it sounds like

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #16,512 of 42,765

Where do Fiio devices stand on this regard? I am planning on using my Fiio X3ii as a transport for the mojo..

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #16,513 of 42,765

Oh, there are some iDevice cables with right-angled plugs:

The spelling error alone on the cable makes me question its quality & reliability.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #16,514 of 42,765

Where do Fiio devices stand on this regard? I am planning on using my Fiio X3ii as a transport for the mojo..

Sorry, you'll have to ask around the specific threads about that topic, and be aware that not everyone will willingly discuss, or even acknowledge, that. Some may even flatly deny or dispute it.

It's not on-topic for the Mojo thread, and I only mentioned it here, in-passing.

beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #16,515 of 42,765

Sorry, you'll have to ask around the specific threads about that topic, and be aware that not everyone will willingly discuss, or even acknowledge, that. Some may even flatly deny or dispute it.

It's not on-topic for the Mojo thread, and I only mentioned it here, in-passing.

beerchug.gif

No problem. I see your point. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back