Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 18, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #16,231 of 42,765
Just to make sure, the only way to use the Mojo with an iOS device is with the Apple CCK right? Is there any way around that?

If you look in post #3, you'll find some cables which are made by removing the MFI chip from a genuine Apple CCK, and then resoldering the MFI chip into a bespoke cable which has a Lightning connector on one end, and a MicroUSB connector on the other - this means you can avoid using the Apple CCK, so you can get away with using only 1 neat cable, rather than the CCK and a microUSB cable.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #16,232 of 42,765
Just to make sure, the only way to use the Mojo with an iOS device is with the Apple CCK right? Is there any way around that?

Apple now calls it the Lightning to USB cable. 

There are however some small makers selling cables where they install the Apple hardware into their own custom cable, but I don't really trust those as much and they are expensive. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #16,233 of 42,765

There are some unofficial cables that do away with the CCK (see the 3rd post). Also, Chord has announced a future module to hide the CCK, and also future modules that may have Bluetooth or SD card latter replacing the need for the iOS device). If not mobile, you can always use an Apple TV, too.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #16,234 of 42,765

I recognize that if you are new to Mojo the volume of information is overwhelming. With iOS device, the standard way is, yes, the CCK, but there are other companies that you will see on the 3rd post here in this thread (informative collection) that will link to several single cords that bypass this need for the apple product.

Chord, the company, does not recommend them formally. It is possible that Apple could update iOS to block their use, but they are small and convenient.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #16,235 of 42,765
   It is possible that Apple could update iOS to block their use, but they are small and convenient.  

I, too, held this opinion, until recently, but I'm now more confident about the 3rd-party cables (Chord still doesn't proactively encourage them, though, as you rightly point out).

Broadly-speaking, there seem to be lots of people using them successfully.

If the 3rd-party cables were using an MFI emulation chip, then it'd probably be easier for Apple to scupper them, but, since they are (AFAIK) using genuine Apple MFI chips, culled from genuine Apple CCKs, they're probably reasonably safe to take a punt on, as long as one doesn't need to go into debt to afford one
regular_smile .gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #16,236 of 42,765
Mojo, phone, iem,music app, EQ playing flacs placed on the table and in hand.

3:15 - 4:50 blue light
450 - 7:00 Green light

7:00 - 10:40 Yellow light

10: 40 - Red

10:50 - Red blinking, I turned off

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #16,237 of 42,765
Have a link to any small ones that would suite cable?

No problem, found some cheap small ones http://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Noise-Suppressor-Ferrite-Filters/dp/B00F4MEBKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460971787&sr=8-1&keywords=ferrite+core+3mm.

Can always take out of plastic clip (if too wide) and cover the ferrite with some shrink wrap.

Would be nice if Chord released some usb cable that was shielded enough so it does need big ugly looking ferrite cores attached to deal with interference

I know they make a lot of decent cables

Give Rep if you agree - Chord may take notice of demand

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #16,238 of 42,765
Would be nice if Chord released some usb cable that was shielded enough so it does need big ugly looking ferrite cores attached to deal with interference

I know they make a lot of decent cables

Give Rep if you agree - Chord may take notice of demand

I think you are confusing Chord and Chord Electronics.
Edit
The Chord Company Ltd
Chord Electronics Ltd
to be more formal.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #16,239 of 42,765
I think you are confusing Chord and Chord Electronics.
Edit
The Chord Company Ltd
Chord Electronics Ltd
to be more formal.

Oops sorry - maybe someone else will see the post and produce, low profile ferrite shield cables :D

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #16,242 of 42,765
That's great battery life. I have to test mine. Charging up as I type. I'll report back later.
I never turned it off, did not put in pocket which will make it hot, volume was pumping the bass!

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #16,243 of 42,765
Looking for some advice, I currently have Mojo and ie800s, and am looking for full size headphones.

Considering HD650, HE-400i and AQ Nighthawk.

Which would compliment mojo best ?

Thanks
hello with 400i is great , lots of space lots of power is delicious , by the way i was reading the first page of the allways in upgrade post of the qp1r from Questyle and it seems that the transport is very important because in the post almost says that the qp1r alone is better than stacked with Mojo and i allready had a qp1r and no with th ak240 has a transport the Mojo is way better than the qp1r alone

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #16,244 of 42,765
i've finally hooked up my Chord Mojo to a Titanium HD via Optical for Cmss3d gaming in Rise of the Tomb Raider and it sounds great!  Creative console is set to Headphones with CMSS3D enabled.other settings at their defaults.  Windows sound to 5.1, full range sound set on all speakers. Mojo set to 24/96.  Even though I found the Mojo had a slightly narrower soundstage than my Desktop DAC when listening to music - which isn't a problem as it grows on you and sounds more natural over time, it excels in surround gaming and is as wide and clear as I could of hoped.  Impression is with He-500 headphones compared to Vlink 192 + Musical Fidelity m1a + hpa combo connected to Titanium HD via optical.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #16,245 of 42,765
Here is my impression on Chord Mojo.

First of all, I am not a HI-FI guy, but the brain between my small ears loves to listen to a good sound 
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
. I am quite mobile most of the time. I have three Shure earphones (SE215, SE535 and SE846). I wanted an upgrade for my current DAC Denon DA-10. I decided to give a Mojo a try. I were not sure if it is good idea since all my soundtracks are just FLAC 44.1kHz.

Out of the box, I were surprised how small this is in compare to DA-10. It feels like a metal brick with some considerable amount of weight. The build quality gives the impression that you can take mojo anywhere you go without worrying about it. I truly appreciate that. I am sick and tired from companies putting electronic devices in metallic bindable boxes.

For the listening, I use VOX media player in Mac OS X. I kept the system as simple as possible. Both the 'Hog mode' and 'Synchronize Sample Rate' options were enabled. When I use SE846 (with the white filter installed), the sound is just fantastic. I am not that good in describing sound, but I will try my best here: SE846 truly shines with Mojo. There is no feeling of congestions which I often get in DA-10, especially in fast paced rock songs. I clearly noticed that every note gets its space making the hearing experience more musical. It is certainly more detailed and smoother. In fact, in one of the tracks I can clearly hear the echo sound pouncing off between drums. In DA-10, the details are there but you really have to work hard to find it. Mojo just presents that to you in a very effortless matter. However, to my ears Mojo is a bit brighter, but not that much. If you don't like this signature and you own SE846, just change your SE846's filter and you should be good to go.

The story is the same for SE535. However, I have to say that it is not as impressive as SE846. On the other hand, SE215 is a totally different case. When I connect Mojo and SE215, the sound becomes more like a V shape. To my ears, the vocal is just too much forward and loud in compare to the background. This significantly distorts the image making it  unrealistic and a bit weird to be honest. Perhaps, Mojo passes so much information, and the driver in the SE215 just can't handle it. I would rather connect the SE215 directly to my laptop than to use Mojo.

I just to make you aware that mojo gets worm or even a bit hot sometimes. Certainly a lot wormer than many DACs I tested for the last two years. Nothing dangerous but it can become annoying in summer. Also, if you plan to recharge Mojo from your laptop, make sure your usb port can handle the high current requirement of mojo (1 Amp). Most laptops, including Apple MacBook line, cannot handle more than 900mA. The motherboard of your laptop will be slowly cooked if you connect mojo. An alternative solution is to use an external adapter. Personally, I use my kindle's adapter. The down side of this is that I have to carry this adapter most of the time in case I need it.

EDIT: After checking other reviews, many mentioned there is a slight noise floor with SE846 and mojo pairing. I can confirm that it is TRUE. In the beginning I haven't noticed it at all, but after several tests I found out that there is a very low hass. Still very happy with my purchase :) 

So the conclusion:
* For SE846 and SE535, does Mojo improves the sound in compare to DA-10? YES and ALOT for SE846.
* For SE215, NO...Don't buy it, instead upgrade your earphones first.
* Do I recommend it to a friend? YES. In fact, I believe that any sound improvement beyond Mojo will come at a very steep price.
* Do I recommend buying a cheeper DAC? If you have a good headphones and you can afford Mojo, then go for a very long term investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back