Chord Hugo
Jun 1, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #15,061 of 15,694
Have been using the Wireworld Super Nova 7 optical cable with the Chord Hugo for few days now. Very very impressed. Certainly an improvement over the stock cable. Doesn't 'click in' all the way but goes in far enough to have a solid hold. Seems to provide a greater clarity and body to the sound than what I was getting from the stock optical cable.
Glass cables will no doubt give better results when long distances are involved, but often the problem with cheap cables is the lenses at termination. This is a reason to avoid adapters as it will double the lens issue. But as long as a cable will do 24/192 without dropouts then it will sound the same as any other. Best value/quality point imho is KabelDirekt. I paid just over £8 for 0.5m - works perfectly and with that satisfying click.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #15,067 of 15,694
chord hugo feeding directly to power amp. audio recorded through olympus ls100, video through phone. power amp benchmark ahb2, speakers kef r300, source fiio x3 2k, plenty of ferrite cores on power and digital cables. experience the dynamics of hugo.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #15,068 of 15,694
Hi guys. I've been looking around for a good amp to drive the HD 800S. The Chord Hugo so far is my top choice. For those who have the HD 800S, would you say they are a great pairing and did you try other amps around the same price range? What made you decide to get the Chord Hugo over others? Also, since it's a DAC/AMP, can I use it as a stand alone directly connected to my PC? Btw, I will probably be getting the Hugo 2 once it comes out. Thanks in advance!

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #15,069 of 15,694
Hi guys. I've been looking around for a good amp to drive the HD 800S. The Chord Hugo so far is my top choice. For those who have the HD 800S, would you say they are a great pairing and did you try other amps around the same price range? What made you decide to get the Chord Hugo over others? Also, since it's a DAC/AMP, can I use it as a stand alone directly connected to my PC? Btw, I will probably be getting the Hugo 2 once it comes out. Thanks in advance!
Hugo can drive most cans just fine, but I bought TT for the added weight, depth, authority that it provides versus Hugo, I even added gsx mk2 for that last little bloom. So around the same price point? Dunno Hugo probably fine. Have not heard 2 yet to judge but that's my findings.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #15,070 of 15,694
chord hugo feeding directly to power amp. audio recorded through olympus ls100, video through phone. power amp benchmark ahb2, speakers kef r300, source fiio x3 2k, plenty of ferrite cores on power and digital cables. experience the dynamics of hugo.

Looking for some help with power amp. I have a chord which i am connecting directly to power amp. I am considering upgrade to the Benchmark AHB2....I hesitated because of the need for RCA to XLR adapter cable from HUGO to amp. Perhaps there is no need for concern. Do you ever get any noise from ground loop? Have you ever tried a balanced DAC (like HUGO TT)?

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #15,071 of 15,694
Looking for some help with power amp. I have a chord which i am connecting directly to power amp. I am considering upgrade to the Benchmark AHB2....I hesitated because of the need for RCA to XLR adapter cable from HUGO to amp. Perhaps there is no need for concern. Do you ever get any noise from ground loop? Have you ever tried a balanced DAC (like HUGO TT)?
TT has balanced out xlr so it feeds my balanced amp gsx mk2 beautifully.
I suppose ahb2 is a topography balanced amp. If so the problem of using rca out is that it is not balanced. Now there is debate about rca versus xlr out quality from chord products, xlr sounds fantastic to me, using rca to xlr defeats the balanced topograhy. Have no comment on ground loop on the adapter nor the effect of using se into ahb2

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #15,072 of 15,694
@vinchanity, I had some problems of ground loops with sub.with sub it did not have any problems. I use RCA to xlr connector with shield wire floating at RCA end which imho is more noise prone than shield connected to sleeve of rca. but somehow I get more separation and depth by floating the shield at RCA end.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #15,074 of 15,694
For the HD800, I prefer my Resonessence Labs Invicta running in dual differential mode, to my Hugo.
They sound "slow" to me, with the Hugo.
I guess they need the extra power...

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #15,075 of 15,694
Hi everybody,
I'm very happy using an optical cable with my Chord Hugo. However, I keep losing those little protective caps that sit on the end of optical cables! Does anybody happen to know where you can buy replacements? Struggling to find them on eBay. Any links appreciated.
Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back