Chord Hugo
May 7, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #15,034 of 15,694
May 7, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #15,036 of 15,694
drop the 4 g and be done with it :L3000:

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #15,037 of 15,694
Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #15,038 of 15,694
Yeah I'll wait to give the Hugo2 a listen. But if I'm not happy I'm afraid to drop the 4 g for the TT and than have. Chord release the TT2 6 months later.
it could be years and high end gear is not like iPhone annual release, granted why buy anything you will get frozen out of the market for any dac, amp.... with that line of thought.

May 10, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #15,039 of 15,694
Can anyone help me?

I have been using a Chord Hugo DAC in one of my systems for a few years, fed by a Sonore mocroRendu. This was originally via the hi-def USB input on the Hugo, but around 6 months or so, I purchased a Gustard U12 USB to SPDIF convertor, and so input to the Hugo has recently been via SPDIF (coaxial), and I found that this improved the SQ a bit.

I have now encountered a strange problem and I wonder if anyone can help or advise. Out of the blue one day, after a glitch with my amplifier, I could no longer get any sound from my Hugo streaming set up via my amp (Krell AV Pre/Processor). For reasons I won't go into, I initially suspected a problem with the analogue input circuits in my amp. However, I discovered by attaching a different streamer that the amp's analogue inputs were OK, so my suspicion was now that the Hugo had developed a fault. As a final test, I then switched from the coaxial input on the Hugo (via the Gustard) to a direct USB connection between the microRendu and the Hugo, and was surprised to find that this was also working OK.

So I am left with the situation that the problem has been isolated to the coaxial connection or the coaxial circuitry in the Hugo. I would suspect that the Gustard was at fault were it not for the fact that it continues to accurately identify the type of music stream that is passed to it by the midroRendu, and when using the coaxial connection the Hugo also recognises the type of music stream fed to it from the Gustard, i.e it displays the appropriate bit rate colour for the different bit rate files fed to it.

Has anyone else encountered a problem with the Hugo of this sort? Is it conceivable that the Hugo has developed a fault that only affects output from a coaxial source, despite the fact that (because of the accurate colour changes) the input stream via coaxial seems ok?

I'd be very grateful for any help or advice.

May 10, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #15,040 of 15,694
Onkyo DP-X1

Why are so many people selling this dap?

If paired with a CHORD HUGO2 this would allow huge storage as a transport and allow use of TIDAL streaming on WiFi. Is there anything else out there with dual SD cards for use as a transport for the HUGO2?The

May 10, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #15,041 of 15,694
I think the Microrendu is muting the gustard. I don't have a Microrendu, but I once encountered this problem as well with raspberry pi running linux. Somehow the gustard is set to mute by linux, and when i reset the Linux then everything is fine again.

Can anyone help me?

I have been using a Chord Hugo DAC in one of my systems for a few years, fed by a Sonore mocroRendu. This was originally via the hi-def USB input on the Hugo, but around 6 months or so, I purchased a Gustard U12 USB to SPDIF convertor, and so input to the Hugo has recently been via SPDIF (coaxial), and I found that this improved the SQ a bit.

I have now encountered a strange problem and I wonder if anyone can help or advise. Out of the blue one day, after a glitch with my amplifier, I could no longer get any sound from my Hugo streaming set up via my amp (Krell AV Pre/Processor). For reasons I won't go into, I initially suspected a problem with the analogue input circuits in my amp. However, I discovered by attaching a different streamer that the amp's analogue inputs were OK, so my suspicion was now that the Hugo had developed a fault. As a final test, I then switched from the coaxial input on the Hugo (via the Gustard) to a direct USB connection between the microRendu and the Hugo, and was surprised to find that this was also working OK.

So I am left with the situation that the problem has been isolated to the coaxial connection or the coaxial circuitry in the Hugo. I would suspect that the Gustard was at fault were it not for the fact that it continues to accurately identify the type of music stream that is passed to it by the midroRendu, and when using the coaxial connection the Hugo also recognises the type of music stream fed to it from the Gustard, i.e it displays the appropriate bit rate colour for the different bit rate files fed to it.

Has anyone else encountered a problem with the Hugo of this sort? Is it conceivable that the Hugo has developed a fault that only affects output from a coaxial source, despite the fact that (because of the accurate colour changes) the input stream via coaxial seems ok?

I'd be very grateful for any help or advice.

May 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #15,042 of 15,694
Thanks for the reply alubis, although I am not sure exactly what you mean by 'muting' the Gustard. How can the Gustard be muted when all it does is accept an incoming USB stream and outputs an spdif stream via digital coax?

In my case, the Gustard appears to be doing its bit properly, because the Hugo indicates that it recognises the stream from the Gustard (since the colour reference on the Hugo changes correctly to match the bit rate of the digital signal it receives from the Gustard).

In any case I have tried rebooting the microRendu and the Gustard several times and have also switched off and powered back up the Hugo to no effect.

It's really strange because up until a couple of days ago the set-up worked perfectly using the Gustard and the coax input on the Hugo, and still works when I switch from the coax input to a direct USB feed from the microRendu. So, mysystem is currently working, but it's just that the sound quality when using the Gustard and the coax input was just that little bit better.

May 10, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #15,043 of 15,694
Can you try the gustard - hugo on another pc? Maybe can help to pinpoint the broken chain.

What I meant is the linux is muting the output volume of gustard, but still sending the files to gustard hence you see the change in the sample rates. This was my experience with Linux running on raspberry pi.
Hence, I would try the gustard - hugo on another pc operating with other OS such as Windows or Apple OS.
If you think the problem is with hugo coax, then you can also try gustard optical hugo. Just trying to ensure which link is broken.

Thanks for the reply alubis, although I am not sure exactly what you mean by 'muting' the Gustard. How can the Gustard be muted when all it does is accept an incoming USB stream and outputs an spdif stream via digital coax?

In my case, the Gustard appears to be doing its bit properly, because the Hugo indicates that it recognises the stream from the Gustard (since the colour reference on the Hugo changes correctly to match the bit rate of the digital signal it receives from the Gustard).

In any case I have tried rebooting the microRendu and the Gustard several times and have also switched off and powered back up the Hugo to no effect.

It's really strange because up until a couple of days ago the set-up worked perfectly using the Gustard and the coax input on the Hugo, and still works when I switch from the coax input to a direct USB feed from the microRendu. So, mysystem is currently working, but it's just that the sound quality when using the Gustard and the coax input was just that little bit better.

May 12, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #15,044 of 15,694
Can you try the gustard - hugo on another pc? Maybe can help to pinpoint the broken chain.

What I meant is the linux is muting the output volume of gustard, but still sending the files to gustard hence you see the change in the sample rates. This was my experience with Linux running on raspberry pi.
Hence, I would try the gustard - hugo on another pc operating with other OS such as Windows or Apple OS.
If you think the problem is with hugo coax, then you can also try gustard optical hugo. Just trying to ensure which link is broken.

Thanks again Alubis.

This is really strange. I have now managed to prove (using another device with digital coax output) that the problem is not with the Hugo coax, so that does lead me to believe the problem is with the Gustard or the connections to from the Gustard despite the fact that the correct bit-rate is identified by the Hugo (which implies that the signal is getting through).

For clarification, the microRendu is connected via USB to the USB in in the Gustard, and the Gustard is connected to the digital coax input on the Hugo, and the Hugo bit-rate indicator correctly identifies the bit rate of the file being played even though there is no sound.

Can you explain how you "reset" your raspery pi/Linux set-up? Just a reboot and it's now working fine? If so, what do you think triggered the muting?

Thanks

May 12, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #15,045 of 15,694

Hi Alubis,

You were right.

I discovered on another forum that there is an internal 'volume switch' in the microRendu that had somehow been set to 'mute'. Once I discovered this, and how to reset the 'volume', my set-up is now working perfectly again via the Gustard.

Many thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back