Chord Hugo
May 12, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #15,046 of 15,691
Hi Alubis,

You were right.

I discovered on another forum that there is an internal 'volume switch' in the microRendu that had somehow been set to 'mute'. Once I discovered this, and how to reset the 'volume', my set-up is now working perfectly again via the Gustard.

Many thanks for your help.
Do you have a link for that forum, because this information could be useful for other Chord owners, who will use a microRendu in future?

May 12, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #15,047 of 15,691
May 21, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #15,048 of 15,691
If your asking me if it sounds better than the van den hull then yes without a doubt,You can really tell the difference it just sounds so right.I know it's just light and really they should all sound the same, but this super nova 7 has really change my mind, It sounds fantastic.

Hi,

I'm considering investing in the Wireworld Super Nova 7 optical cable for Chord Hugo. I see you have some positive things to say about it. Does it still impress you over the longer term? Have the fit (lack of 'click') issues with the Chord Hugo been a problem?

Hi,

I'm considering investing in the Wireworld Super Nova 7 optical cable for Chord Hugo. I see you have some positive things to say about it. Does it still impress you over the longer term? Have the fit (lack of 'click') issues with the Chord Hugo been a problem?

May 21, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #15,049 of 15,691
Awesome man! I continue to really enjoy mine. It really is a revelation for me.

It is. But think about how so many different light conducting materials have an impact on how the light transfers through. Think of a window to the outside. Think of a freshly-cleaned high-purity glass window. It's so transparent that you can hardly tell there is a window there at all. It lets all the light through with almost no distortion. But that same window can get dirty. Or, it could be made out of acrylic, or even plastic, or just lower grades of glass. The impurities impart distortion to the light allowed through.

Extrapolate.

+1

Neither my AQ Cinnamon nor the SN7 play 192 for me. But honestly, Red Book sounds the best to me.

Interesting that different cables allow differing bit rates.

And +1 on the Red Book.

Awesomeness. Good insight. I would be remiss to say that I was making generalized observations about "audiophiles," and the state of this Hugo thread, and were not intended to be directed at you whatsoever.

And absolutely, I love a sound mind (hehe) eager to learn. I'll write books worth of info in here for new guys. It's ok to know nothing. It's ok to ask anything. My comments are more out of fascination or humor, as this thread is just so enormous.

I think anyone that spends north of $20 bucks on any personal audio gear that is not Apple-made is considered an Audiophile. I'm cool with that. The word just means you have an awareness about things audio that the common man doesn't think on. But everyone's definition differs!

Hi,

I'm considering investing in the Wireworld Super Nova 7 optical cable for Chord Hugo. I see you have some positive things to say about it. Does it still impress you over the longer term? Have the fit (lack of 'click') issues with the Chord Hugo been a problem? Thanks.

May 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #15,050 of 15,691
I have got a custom cable at $100 for the Apple AirPort to Hugo, but IMO it seems to be the switch from USB to optical that does the improvement. As for the transport and the cable, I don't know what's the best amount to spend. Some says go for the Hydra, some says the iDSD Nano is enough.

May 26, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #15,051 of 15,691
I have got a custom cable at $100 for the Apple AirPort to Hugo, but IMO it seems to be the switch from USB to optical that does the improvement. As for the transport and the cable, I don't know what's the best amount to spend. Some says go for the Hydra, some says the iDSD Nano is enough.

Thanks - Yes agree I prefer the optical over the USB.

May 26, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #15,052 of 15,691
USB HD works superbly

May 28, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #15,053 of 15,691
I was using various combinations of USB, and USB to coax via an Audiophileo2 + PurePower battery pack. And yes, I do believe the Super Nova 7 is the best optical/Toslink I've heard yet.

I meant to include some of this. I’m well aware of the popular idea that a more snug fit on optical is better. It makes sense. Maybe that’s the only reason it is popular; it just makes sense. So when none of the top optical cables would fit my first gen Hugo, I decided to do an experiment. Using 4 different optical cables, only one of them clicked in all the way. The stock Hugo cable, which actually sounded the worst. The other three fit to varying depths. The Super Nova fits pretty deeply. On all of the cables, I would critically listen and slide the cable, very slowly, all the way out. I could discern no appreciable difference with actively varying the insertion depth. I blatantly therefore assume that if it does not get worse with increased depth, it likewise does not get better with a closer fit. Especially since I am able to simulate increasing depth by pushing in instead of pulling out. thats what she said
Still to no discernible effect.

Agree - I don't think the full 'click' is required to get the benefits from good quality optical cables.

All of the cables, at all depths sounded and behaved as you would expect a fully plugged in cable to sound like, until the termination slipped out of the jack breaking the connection.
I considered that I was in fact not getting a correct connection, and what I heard was a distortion that I simply preferred. So I ran some test tracks, and results were conclusive to me across optical cables, and as compared to USB.

So my Super Nova, my AQ Cinammon, they don’t seat quite all the way, but the WireWorld sounds fantastic. If it gets even better with deeper insertion depth, it would blow USB out of the water 7 ways till Sunday. I can’t imagine.

I think as an “audiophile,” when you stop concentrating on how something is supposed to be, and you remember to just relax and enjoy the music, that’s when the real magic happens.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #15,054 of 15,691
I was using various combinations of USB, and USB to coax via an Audiophileo2 + PurePower battery pack. And yes, I do believe the Super Nova 7 is the best optical/Toslink I've heard yet.

I meant to include some of this. I’m well aware of the popular idea that a more snug fit on optical is better. It makes sense. Maybe that’s the only reason it is popular; it just makes sense. So when none of the top optical cables would fit my first gen Hugo, I decided to do an experiment. Using 4 different optical cables, only one of them clicked in all the way. The stock Hugo cable, which actually sounded the worst. The other three fit to varying depths. The Super Nova fits pretty deeply. On all of the cables, I would critically listen and slide the cable, very slowly, all the way out. I could discern no appreciable difference with actively varying the insertion depth. I blatantly therefore assume that if it does not get worse with increased depth, it likewise does not get better with a closer fit. Especially since I am able to simulate increasing depth by pushing in instead of pulling out. thats what she said
Still to no discernible effect.

All of the cables, at all depths sounded and behaved as you would expect a fully plugged in cable to sound like, until the termination slipped out of the jack breaking the connection.
I considered that I was in fact not getting a correct connection, and what I heard was a distortion that I simply preferred. So I ran some test tracks, and results were conclusive to me across optical cables, and as compared to USB.

So my Super Nova, my AQ Cinammon, they don’t seat quite all the way, but the WireWorld sounds fantastic. If it gets even better with deeper insertion depth, it would blow USB out of the water 7 ways till Sunday. I can’t imagine.

I think as an “audiophile,” when you stop concentrating on how something is supposed to be, and you remember to just relax and enjoy the music, that’s when the real magic happens.

Agree with you - I don't think the full 'click' is required to get the benefit of a good quality optical cable - as long as it stays in place and the connection isn't broken.

May 30, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #15,058 of 15,691
A question for Hugo users who also use line level mode.

I have my subwoofers grounded to my amplifier to prevent a ground loop issue.

However when I upgraded my old DAC to the Hugo, the humming returned.

I found the only way to prevent the ground loop was to run another grounding cable to the plug of one of the interconnects between the Hugo and the amplifier. The interconnect plugs just happened to be metal.

Has anybody else had grounding issues with the Hugo? Perhaps I need better interconnects?

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #15,059 of 15,691
Hi,

I'm considering investing in the Wireworld Super Nova 7 optical cable for Chord Hugo. I see you have some positive things to say about it. Does it still impress you over the longer term? Have the fit (lack of 'click') issues with the Chord Hugo been a problem? Thanks.

Have been using the Wireworld Super Nova 7 optical cable with the Chord Hugo for few days now. Very very impressed. Certainly an improvement over the stock cable. Doesn't 'click in' all the way but goes in far enough to have a solid hold. Seems to provide a greater clarity and body to the sound than what I was getting from the stock optical cable.

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #15,060 of 15,691
Is there such a thing as lossless digital transmission from a source to the Hugo over its Bluetooth connection? Under what conditions? AptX source? Only up to CD data rates? A specific source? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back