Chord Hugo
Oct 3, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #13,831 of 15,694
Oct 3, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #13,832 of 15,694
Just for what it is worth. I see this quite heated discussion iro Hugo vs Mojo etc and I do actually not understand it completely. I guess the relative liking depends on

- Intended use
- Preferred sound profile
- Form factor etc

Imho Hugo sounds actually better with the headphones I use (e.g. LCDX, LCD 2, Stax Sr007, etc), but that might be a consequence of my music taste (classics) and my preference for a slightly warmer sound, which is at the same time analytical. Given the headphones are on the warm side Hugo is just perfect

I own both Hugo and Mojo and I think Hugo is much more versatile and also more reliable. Why? Not because of the built but because my mojo always turn it on itself, such that there is no power when I want to use it, which is rather annoying. I agree Mojo is smaller, but again I use hugo semi-stationary e.g., when working at a desk somewhere in the world.

Hope this is helpful

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #13,833 of 15,694
changing battery supply to linear for hugo won't give any advantage imho. battery power is the cleanest. if at all the existing battery are replaced as diy attempt , replace it with bigger battery. even that won't imho change much because existing battery are not current limited . super caps which are added in tt might help a bit for demanding headphones but not much in a desktop setup where the load seen by tt or hugo is far less as compared to headphones. so ultimately it comes to usb input . if someone is using coaxial and optical then sq in a desktop setup for hugo and tt should only have little difference. using jitterbug and ferrite chokes while using usb input may put hugo very close to tt if not equal.

Could you elaborate on your use of ferrite chokes?  I ordered some from Amazon, but haven't used them yet.  Does it matter on which end of the USB cord you use them?  And did you notice any positive or negative effects?

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #13,834 of 15,694
you mean ferrite

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #13,835 of 15,694
I own hugo for long time , now it's overpriced , about the sound warm, lean , not very clear with good amount of detail with normal soundstage  good depth. If i'm now days I think it's better to buy yggy or pavane .
I would like to say the usb sound bad .

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #13,836 of 15,694
I disagree. Heard DAC's in the $3k+ desktop DAC's and the Chord Hugo didn't sound bad next to it. It's still very good value what you pay for it. I think it also sounds better than the HDVD 800 which is more expensive than what I paid for the Chord Hugo. Ofcourse there are better DAC's than the Chord Hugo, but they are also more expensive and they are not portable. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #13,837 of 15,694
my main problem with Hugo is it lack texture , you will understand what I mean when you heard Pavane , which sound better for my taste and whom value Timbre; Texture over lean ,harsh and bright .

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #13,838 of 15,694
There is a yggy post every so often here. Desktop 75 ohm impediance with only 24 bit 192 fr output and 25 lbs, balance output. not comparable at all to Hugo, however what I have read you better like treble, but unless I have heard it I'm not comfortable commenting on sq. it's more comparable to TT and I'm good with what I have. Free speech tho, I wouldn't take it seriously.
Yes Hugo is transparent, what yggy provides is some distortion and that warmth can sound comforting to some. Hugo has a bit of digititous, but goes fantastic with 846 and as a portable, I'm not sure it can be beat.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #13,839 of 15,694
I haven't heard that DAC, but considering that it costs way more than the Chord Hugo and it's not portable, it's not competition to the Chord Hugo. And you also need an amplifier with that which also adds to the costs?

But if you're looking for the best sound possible (and don't need portability), there is the Chord Dave.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #13,841 of 15,694
I still don't see how it's competition to the Chord Hugo since it's not portable and it's also way more expensive. 

The Chord Hugo is not the best DAC in the world, but for the price (even ignoring the portability part) it is still very good.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #13,842 of 15,694

Anything different audio wise with this one ?

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #13,843 of 15,694
The power supply IS holding the Hugo back, I think. I love my Hugo, but when I hooked it up to a really, really nice headphone amp paired with a really nice linear power supply, I could hear a distinct hum from the Hugo's switching power supply whenever it's plugged in. Silent w battery. Same with my Mac: fine on battery, but distinct hum whenever it's plugged in.

I think my juiced up amp and LPS just brought these hums to the surface because of the blacker background, but they exist and pollute the sound always.

I still use my Hugo for portable, but I believe it sounds a little fuzzy and veiled compared to the NOS R2R DAC I'm using now.

Just my experience, opinion. Again, love it for portable, but not quite so much any longer as desktop system.

Edit: Anyome looking for an IEM to use w Hugo should see if they can audition the Sure KSE1500. Sounds amazing w the Hugo

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #13,844 of 15,694
I still don't see how it's competition to the Chord Hugo since it's not portable and it's also way more expensive. 

The Chord Hugo is not the best DAC in the world, but for the price (even ignoring the portability part) it is still very good.
Is there any comparable Chinese DAC at the same price (or cheaper)?

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #13,845 of 15,694
The power supply IS holding the Hugo back, I think. I love my Hugo, but when I hooked it up to a really, really nice headphone amp paired with a really nice linear power supply, I could hear a distinct hum from the Hugo's switching power supply whenever it's plugged in. Silent w battery. Same with my Mac: fine on battery, but distinct hum whenever it's plugged in.

I think my juiced up amp and LPS just brought these hums to the surface because of the blacker background, but they exist and pollute the sound always.

I still use my Hugo for portable, but I believe it sounds a little fuzzy and veiled compared to the NOS R2R DAC I'm using now.

Just my experience, opinion. Again, love it for portable, but not quite so much any longer as desktop system.

Edit: Anyome looking for an IEM to use w Hugo should see if they can audition the Sure KSE1500. Sounds amazing w the Hugo

You are having a ground loop issue from your wall outlet. See if you can eliminate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back