Chord Hugo
Sep 29, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #13,771 of 15,694
But he did use t
I guess Rob didn't use the batteries with the DAVE because of their superiority.  NOT.   Even the TT could probably do better with a better power supply.

But he did use them for the TT because of that. :wink: I did converse with Chord over the TT quite a bit when I wrote my review last year FWIW.

The Dave is a no holds barred product and a completely different DAC.

Just for clarification I wasn't referring to you in my initial post. Not sure if you thought I was?

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #13,772 of 15,694
But he did use t
But he did use them for the TT because of that.
wink.gif
The Dave is a no holds barred product and a completely different DAC. 

That doesn't use batteries on similar concept with more taps.  Wink  He used batteries with the TT because he didn't have the time to develop a better power source and they were not sure of how much the batteries played a part.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #13,774 of 15,694
Doesn't matter.  The fact is that there does exist a superior power source to batteries and now after 3 years of new technology (since Hugo came out), there may exist that source with reasonable cost to do just that.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #13,775 of 15,694
Doesn't matter.  The fact is that there does exist a superior power source to batteries and now after 3 years of new technology (since Hugo came out), there may exist that source with reasonable cost to do just that.

Sorry, but I think you missed my point completely. Power source technology hasn't been revolutionized in the past three years. The TT was designed to offer a destop unit to fill a void that the Hugo left. The DAVE is a no holds barred product that as mentioned costs as much as a base Honda CRV. Comparing portions of these two doesn't compute for me.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #13,776 of 15,694
No harm, I never take discussion to heart.  It's all good.
Sorry, but I think you missed my point completely. Power source technology hasn't been revolutionized in the past three years. The TT was designed to offer a destop unit to fill a void that the Hugo left. The DAVE is a no holds barred product that as mentioned costs as much as a base Honda CRV. Comparing portions of these two doesn't compute for me.

Says who?  See Uptone new power supply.  Http://www.uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #13,777 of 15,694

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems to me that only the exterior is changed and the sound has always remained the same?

No changes to the SQ.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #13,778 of 15,694
I guess Rob didn't use the batteries with the DAVE because of their superiority.  NOT.   Even the TT could probably do better with a better power supply.

Please stop. You have not discussed in full what frank and rob detailed the benefits of TT, but this isn't about the obvious between the two. I mearly brought up TT as a legitimize superior alternative to being sold the box in the USB pipe and tinkering with power supply. The TT is superior in archetecture in many ways. Rob explained why Dave went a different ps route and why he desighner a superior supply to Hugo in TT.
You will do what you do and think what you think to serve your own purpose, and for those that have not heard or cant afford TT whatevs and good luck.
The bottom line, and I hesitated to reply, but for those who can step up from hodgepodge DIY attempts at Hugo, there is TT, you will be happy. Meanwhile I have no plans to get rid of Hugo, it still serves as a great portable, and who doesn't want the option of taking their sound out and about, the ultimate in flexibility.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #13,779 of 15,694
Hugo Bluetooth question. Soundwise is Bluetooth good ?

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #13,780 of 15,694
I actual like hugo's Blutooth (with mobile & tablet) as it cuts out wire's inference. It is lossy here & there but oddly extension pretty good. I tend to use BT for general stuff like youtube & on the go.

For more serious listening I use microRendu/ Curious usb for that.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #13,781 of 15,694
Hugo Bluetooth question. Soundwise is Bluetooth good ?

I find the Hugo's BT connection via AptX absolutely superb, and have no reason whatsoever to connect with wires to my Sony DAPs, it really is that good.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #13,782 of 15,694
I find the Hugo's BT connection via AptX absolutely superb, and have no reason whatsoever to connect with wires to my Sony DAPs, it really is that good.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Nice !

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #13,784 of 15,694
For me, unless I use big usb cable like Curious or possible good optical (haven't tried), I would not bother with thin usb wire which doesn't sound right compare to blutooth. Things seem to sound bigger, decent detail & good bass extention via BT. Certainly recommends try out youtube with hugo/BT

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #13,785 of 15,694
  No harm, I never take discussion to heart.  It's all good.

Says who?  See Uptone new power supply.  Http://www.uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1

I'm glad! 
smile.gif

With regards to the new power supply...sorry, all I see is marketing mumbo jumbo in that link. 

From the Chris Marten's review:

"I found that the Hugo TT simply seemed quieter than the Hugo—an improvement that meant a significant amount of previously unrevealed low-level textural and transient information in recordings suddenly became easy to hear and appreciate. A great example would be the track ‘Mermaids’ from jazz vocalist Norma Winstone’s Distances [ECM, CD] where the track opens with the eerie, percussive sounds of the strings of a prepared piano being struck, creating a mysterious, angular, and strangely beautiful introduction for the song that follows. Through the TT, that prepared piano sounded so vivid, solid, and three-dimensional that I almost felt as if I could extend my hand to reach out and touch the instrument."

and

"I found the Hugo TT noticeably punchier and more dynamically authoritative than the Hugo, while rendering vigourous transient events with even greater ‘snap’ and impact. What’s odd about this is that on paper the Hugo TT is no more powerful than the Hugo, though in practice it gives the impression that it is; the TT, for example, offers that elusive quality of sonic ‘grunt’ in spades. Just for the fun of it, I fired up the track ‘Dogman’ from the King’s X album of the same name [Atlantic, CD] and gave the Hugo TT its head as it drove a pair of ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 hybrid dynamic headphones. The result was a gloriously muscular, hard-driving sound that perfectly captured the boisterous exuberance of which this power rock trio is capable—especially so when it came time to reproduce the thunderously powerful low-frequency rumble of Dug Pinnick’s 12-string electric bass. I suspect the Hugo TT’s perceived punch, clout, and dynamic muscle are down to its beefier battery and bank of super capacitors serving up gobs of current on demand."

and with regards to the power supply:

"What exactly are the differences between the original Hugo and the Hugo TT? One of most important differences is that the Hugo TT provides a rechargeable battery that offers fully twice the capacity of the original Hugo’s battery. Then, beefing up the power supply further still, Chord equips the Hugo TT with a 10,000μF bank of super capacitors, which are said to, “smooth out the instantaneous power demands”, made upon the unit. By design, the Hugo TT is set up so that it can be, ‘permanently connected to the (included) AC power adapter’, meaning that the adapter can top off the battery’s charge level as needed. In day-to-day operation, however, the Hugo TT always runs directly from its battery/super capacitor-equipped power supply—not from the AC mains."

I didn't want to reference my review for obvious prejudice....but I basically hear it the exact same way. I do have a lot of respect for the Hugo as a true pioneer in portable audio that rivaled many full sized setups I've heard in the past, but in a form factor that can be easily taken with the owner on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back