Chord Hugo
Aug 28, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #13,636 of 15,694
Wouldn't tht be not so environmental friendly?
Heat generated waste

Yes, and I don't personally do that.  I charge it up, and run it on battery power until it needs recharging.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #13,637 of 15,694
Guys,

I've never heard the Hugo but I have heard the Mojo. I really like how it sounds with the black background, clear sounding-but not very dynamic/fast paced, and great detail retrieval. To be honest I have never heard an amp/dac-amp quite like Mojo before.

My question: if I can get a used Hugo for the price of a new Mojo, should I get it?

Edit: to be more specific, my question is when we consider the SQ aspect ONLY

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #13,638 of 15,694
Guys,

I've never heard the Hugo but I have heard the Mojo. I really like how it sounds with the black background, clear sounding-but not very dynamic/fast paced, and great detail retrieval. To be honest I have never heard an amp/dac-amp quite like Mojo before.

My question: if I can get a used Hugo for the price of a new Mojo, should I get it?

Have the Hugo, not the Mojo but auditioned one, so I only have a short time with the Mojo.  Depending on your desires, Mojo seemed to have a warmer signature, but both have great balance and detail retrieval. So very generally, if you like a warmer sound, go with Mojo.  If you prefer a more neutral signature, then Hugo has the edge, in my opinion. Portability is also a consideration as I don't think the Hugo is a carry around piece of equipment.  I have yet to see a Hugo sell for the price of a Mojo or drop below the $1000 mark, but you never know.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #13,639 of 15,694
Personally I would go for it. To my ears the Hugo sounds a bit more open, transparent and refined, even smoother (which doesn't seem to match others' observations, though) despite being brighter. It's not a big difference, and the price difference among new devices may not be accurately reflected. Just make sure the battery still has (about) the full charging capacity.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #13,640 of 15,694
Thanks guys for the quick replies!

I cant really put into words on how the Mojo sounded. Quite a bit like how a class A solid state amp would sound when reaching the "optimum temperature" lol.. but much clearer. Clear but sweet sounding..

I like that kinda sound, but I also dont mind a more neutral sound as currently my taste is leaning towards a neutral sound sig. Gone are my warm days!

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #13,641 of 15,694
Thanks guys for the quick replies!

I cant really put into words on how the Mojo sounded. Quite a bit like how a class A solid state amp would sound when reaching the "optimum temperature" lol.. but much clearer. Clear but sweet sounding..

I like that kinda sound, but I also dont mind a more neutral sound as currently my taste is leaning towards a neutral sound sig. Gone are my warm days!

One other point is that if you can find a good condition Hugo for the price of a Mojo, I'm sure you can resell and make a couple of hundred dollars if you decide it's not your cup of tea.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #13,642 of 15,694
Guys,

I have a mojo and have wondered about getting a second hand hugo to use as a dac at home with the desktop.
The new price of a mojo is £399, and the new price of a hugo is approx £1400. There are usually some second hand hugos for sale on ebay, but the price is still around £950, which is still two and a half times the price of a mojo.

Sadly I think that you will have a very long wait until the price of a hugo drops near that of the mojo.
The hugo is still highly rated, especially by people wanting to pair it with Naim equipment, so I don't think that the price will drop fast. However the still strong demand for the hugo, does mean that if you bought one second hand, you will stand a good chance of selling it on at a similar price (if you didn't like the sound).

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #13,644 of 15,694
  If I order hugo in US, it comes with a US power supplier or british one? Thanks in advance.

same as its available in canada, north american

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #13,645 of 15,694
Apologies if the following has already been addressed somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it through the search function or Google.

I listen to music through the following chain: Macbook Pro -> Hugo -> Audeze LCD3. I am using Hugo's optical input, as I find it gives me the best sound. Of course, YMMV.

My question is: what settings should I use in OSX's 'Audio MIDI Setup' menu? 

If using optical my Macbook doesn't recognise Hugo as 'Hugo' in the 'Audio MIDI Setup' menu - I can just change settings for the 'Built-in Output' (in the 'Sound' menu, I choose Digital Out - optical digital-out port for output). If I change the format setting from 44100,0 Hz to 176400,0 Hz, Hugo's coloured light changes from red to another colour (am slightly colour blind). So, I have to conclude my Macbook is sending a 176.4 kHz signal to the Hugo. This happens even if I just listen to Tidal, which obviously is not that high-res. Is my Macbook upsampling things? Vice versa, if I'm playing high-res files I downloaded from HDTracks (176.4 kHz) through iTunes, but leave the 'Format' setting to 44 kHz in the 'Audio MIDI Setup' menu, Hugo's light remains red.

Somehow this doesn't seem right to me - what's the catch here? Should I leave the 'Format' setting to 176.4 kHz and be done with it?

Many thanks.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #13,646 of 15,694
my two cents, everything is normal. which do you prefer? I use hd port so 32 384 is my preferred settings in TT and hugo and when i use cck through i phone i get 48 at 16 bit and my light is red, which also sounds fine. 
and no apple does not up sample like say pure music, adriovana etc...( up sample is a smoothing effect based on times the number of samples)  its choosing based on your default midi setup which you can change manually. 
your source through macbook whether it be tidal, apple lossless, or dsd effects your source quality respective of the manual decision of frequency or bit rate that the midi controller is playing.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #13,647 of 15,694

If using optical my Macbook doesn't recognise Hugo as 'Hugo' in the 'Audio MIDI Setup' menu - I can just change settings for the 'Built-in Output' (in the 'Sound' menu, I choose Digital Out - optical digital-out port for output).

Use USB.  Native DSD won't transmit via optical, among other things.  Make sure you're using the HD USB input on the Hugo.  

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #13,648 of 15,694
Guys,

God yes!  There's a definite improvement in SQ with the Hugo.  Now if I could get a used DAVE for the price of...LOL
All kidding aside; I find the Hugo's timbre of various instruments retreivle clearer and more acurate (vivid) than the Mojo.  I'm not much for warmth, but for a clear unrestrained sound, and that's what I get from H.  I think the Mojo is great for smartphones but the Hugo-even a used on-might bring you much pleasure.
Depends what you need, though.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #13,649 of 15,694
I could not use my hugo for about 4 months as I kept it somewhere along with mojo during shifting. for past one month or so I was using mojo. yesterday I unpacked hugo and used it with the same set up as mojo. I would say hugo is better to the extent that it should not be compared with mojo. hugo has clearly better timing and dynamics . even I felt better bass punch with hugo. hugo sounds lot more effortless and life like . for me hugo is more enjoyable too. but mojo is still so good that I would prefer it over hugo for portability. for certain setups mojo may be desirable like paring with bright gear but if you want realism and extremely neutral sound , hugo is the best choice .

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #13,650 of 15,694
I could not use my hugo for about 4 months as I kept it somewhere along with mojo during shifting. for past one month or so I was using mojo. yesterday I unpacked hugo and used it with the same set up as mojo. I would say hugo is better to the extent that it should not be compared with mojo. hugo has clearly better timing and dynamics . even I felt better bass punch with hugo. hugo sounds lot more effortless and life like . for me hugo is more enjoyable too. but mojo is still so good that I would prefer it over hugo for portability. for certain setups mojo may be desirable like paring with bright gear but if you want realism and extremely neutral sound , hugo is the best choice .

I agree 100%. I had been using my Hugo in my 2channel system until it stopped working yesterday... I swapped in my Mojo and noticed a less transparent sound and poorer imaging and soundstage (as in the placement of instruments became less articulated). It is still a very pleasant sound and better than the DAC inside my integrated amp and my streamer, but I clearly prefer the Hugo sound.

@rkt31 I just PM you on my Hugo issue and hope you can share your experience. Thx and cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back