Chord Hugo
Aug 11, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #13,606 of 15,694
  Is it normal for the Chord to have jumpy volume control, especially at the lower levels?
Sometimes I'll turn the volume knob and get no increase in volume, and other times a giant increase.
Can't seem to fine tune the volume to the perfect level..

I'd say that your unit is faulty. The volume wheel is very smooth and the control is very fine at the infra-red end of the spectrum.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #13,607 of 15,694
Thanks guys!
Time to send it back I guess..

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #13,609 of 15,694
Is it normal for the Chord to have jumpy volume control, especially at the lower levels?
Sometimes I'll turn the volume knob and get no increase in volume, and other times a giant increase.
Can't seem to fine tune the volume to the perfect level..

That is definitely not normal....i bought a hugo used a while back and that is exactly what the volume wheel was doing,very erratic moves ...sometimes a big move and sometimes none at all...i returned the unit to the seller and bought a brand new one and it was perfect from day one and still is

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #13,610 of 15,694
Shouldnt happen, the volume control is digital. Are you using IEM? Note on brand new unite the volume control is quite stiff to begin with but will losen up with use.

Yes I am using a CIEM.

Well, today I also discovered that the USB input periodically does not detect iDevices.. No matter what 3rd party lightning to microUSB or CCK+USB setup I try, it just refuses to connect sometimes. And other times it just connects without a hitch.

How disappointing.. Fortunately for them it seems I'm the only one with these problems, since most of the head fi units seem to be in good shape.

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #13,611 of 15,694
Yes I am using a CIEM.

Well, today I also discovered that the USB input periodically does not detect iDevices.. No matter what 3rd party lightning to microUSB or CCK+USB setup I try, it just refuses to connect sometimes. And other times it just connects without a hitch.

How disappointing.. Fortunately for them it seems I'm the only one with these problems, since most of the head fi units seem to be in good shape.

I know that you are using a Hugo, but there is a lot of information on the Mojo thread, that may contain something that is helpful for you.
Some of those connectors always work flawlessly, and others start ok, but gradually become intermittant, and are best replaced.
So it could be that your Hugo is ok, but you need to check/replace your cable.

Connecting Mojo to iDevices (Click to hide)
IMPORTANT!: Please be careful with the iOS public betas - they can cause crackling sounds when using Mojo with the CCK

(NB: please also view the VIDEOS section!)

IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipment. None of these links are official endorsements.

Mojo is not Apple MFI-certified, so connecting an iDevice requires a cable with an included MFI chip (Click to show)  

MoonAudio make decent iDevice cables, but a seperate CCK will still be required (Click to show)

If you dislike using the Apple CCK connector, there are some 3rd-party cables which circumvent this, and thereby allow you to use a single cable. However, they are notApple-certified, so there is a small risk that Apple may find a way to stop them working, in a future iOS update. At this point in time, though (iOS 9.3), many people are successfully using them. Ultimately, please do your own research before buying/trying any of these CCK-circumvention cables!!

Lavricable (circumvents Apple CCK) (Click to show)  

Hi-Fi Spot Lightning Cable (circumvents Apple CCK) (Click to show)  

Taobao iPhone-Mojo cable (circumvents Apple CCK) (Click to show)  

Fiio L19 (circumvents Apple CCK) (Click to show)  

Uranus OCC iPhone 5 / 6 lightning camera kit to OTG micro USB (circumvents Apple CCK) (Click to show)  

Lightning to Micro USB Hugo/Mojo/PHA DAC Audiophile Pure Silver Decoding Cable (circumvents Apple CCK) (Click to show)  

Note to Apple CCK owners: Chord advise Mojo customers NOT to use these solid MicroUSB adaptors (Click to show)  

1. Also of interest: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/10860#post_12323045

Please note: Chord Electronics does not specifically endorse any cables which seek to circumvent the CCK, so cannot be held responsible for any issues arising therefrom.

1. If you have problems with intermittent connectionread this and please note that even genuine Apple CCK lightning cables can sometimes be faulty

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #13,612 of 15,694
Thanks @miketsle
Unfortunately even with the official CCK and many USB cables nothing has worked properly yet.
Ill be sending back the Hugo back on Monday, hope its all resolved eventually!

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #13,613 of 15,694
On holiday with portable gear. Getting astounding results from Macbook Pro 2015/Amarra via Hugo to my old Shure EC4-N iems. I was never wildly enthusiastic about the Shure iems straight out of devices because of the thin, clinical sound - now they are transformed. The famous Shure mids are glorious. I'm so glad I bought the Hugo...

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #13,614 of 15,694
@miketlse - great (comprehensive!) list of cables! Back in the day I found one on eBay but was unwilling to pay >USD 100 for an at least better looking solution. Now I will start the evaluation process again and share my findings :wink:

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #13,615 of 15,694
  @miketlse - great (comprehensive!) list of cables! Back in the day I found one on eBay but was unwilling to pay >USD 100 for an at least better looking solution. Now I will start the evaluation process again and share my findings :wink:

Post #3 on the Mojo thread, has turned into a valuable knowledge base, helped by the many enthusiastic users who have tried various cables, software etc, and gradually through trial and error identified which options work best (whether that is in terms of performance, or price, or whatever). It did surprise me that there was not a similar knowledge base for the Hugo, given that quite a few thousands have been sold. 

So please do share your findings, because they will probably help some of the readers of this thread.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #13,616 of 15,694
I have just bought a 2Qute but compared to my other DACs it cannot seem to maintain lip sync when watching videos on Youtube or Netflix when connected to my Windows 10 PC. The effect is noticeable and can be jarring. I had this problem with a Hugo, but as the 2Qute and Hugo are identical barring the amplifier section I'm hoping for some suggestions. If the issue is due to the tap length I wonder if 2Qute/Hugo should be used as PC sound cards.

I don't think my PC is the issue as lip sync is perfect with my Mojo, MX-DAC and Asus STX II.

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #13,617 of 15,694
  I have just bought a 2Qute but compared to my other DACs it cannot seem to maintain lip sync when watching videos on Youtube or Netflix when connected to my Windows 10 PC. The effect is noticeable and can be jarring. I had this problem with a Hugo, but as the 2Qute and Hugo are identical barring the amplifier section I'm hoping for some suggestions. If the issue is due to the tap length I wonder if 2Qute/Hugo should be used as PC sound cards.

I don't think my PC is the issue as lip sync is perfect with my Mojo, MX-DAC and Asus STX II.

The Mojo and Hugo have approximately the same number of taps, so your hypothesis about the relationship between tap length and lip sync, looks a bit questionable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/20865#post_12771173

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #13,618 of 15,694
Aug 20, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #13,619 of 15,694
Thanks, it's not a hypothesis, merely an observation. It is concerning that Hugo and now 2Qute appear to have video playback issues with Windows 10.

You are the first person to report these issues, so either you have discovered a new issue that will affect all users, or the issue relates specifically to your particular equipment/software/settings etc.

if you were trying to listen to the audio from a bluray player or AV receiver, then I would have suggested changing the lip sync delay setting.
However you are using your computer for playback, but I do wonder if whatever media player app you are using with windows 10, also has a lip sync setting (if your media player app is innocent, maybe there is a lip sync setting within the win 10 settings themselves). 

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #13,620 of 15,694
I have a completely virgin windows 10 AE build here, what media player is it? I'll install and test if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back