Chord Hugo
Aug 5, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #13,576 of 15,694
Guys!Straight out of the Hugo
What do you think is better between:
Fostex th 600 (and maybe later modded)
Fostex th00
Ie800
With a little stretch Shure846 . Are these comfortable?
Don't tell me th900 or lcdX, already had, they need an amp. Imho

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #13,577 of 15,694
Fostex th00
Ie800
With a little stretch Shure846 . Are these comfortable?
Don't tell me th900 or lcdX, already had, they need an amp. Imho

Hi Montanari

It obviously depends more on what you like re sound signature. I happen to have Hugo plus the two which you rejected and I also have a KSA5 (clone). IMHO both th900 and lcdx (also lcd2) run smoothly with Hugo. Just look at the nominal power of 200-500mW depending on load, this is plenty to absorb peak levels (also given the battery there is no risk of current collapsing). For the less sensitive lcdx out of mind you have 95 dB/ 1mW, which means you reach peak levels of 95 + 23 dB = 118 dB which I guess is sufficient for most of us...

Based on this I personally use LCD-X. Otherwise (out of the three above) I would rule out the two Fosters since the are less sensitive that TH900 (less magnetic flux), hence if TH 900 does not work, these will work even less. Hence I would then advise either ie800 or shure 846. Most likely later one since more stable and IMHO slightly better.

Hope this helps

M

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #13,578 of 15,694
846 is made for Hugo. Or the other way around? The tight bass of Hugo is not great at throwing down the sub bass required by fostex or LCD, course 846 works well being a balanced iem, kinda like a super low impediance hd800S in your ears.
Not that Hugo and th900 won't work well, th900 is super efficient but you got a Marshall stack strapped to your head.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #13,579 of 15,694
846 is made for Hugo. Or the other way around? The tight bass of Hugo is not great at throwing down the sub bass required by fostex or LCD, course 846 works well being a balanced iem, kinda like a super low impediance hd800S in your ears.
Not that Hugo and th900 won't work well, th900 is super efficient but you got a Marshall stack strapped to your head.

Your statement "The tight bass of Hugo is not great at throwing down the sub bass required by fostex or LCD" is interesting. I guess this also depends on the music you are listening to. I am listening mostly to classical music and there you can not see this effect (even though there are in times very low instruments (such as big metal plates) vibrating at somewhere 20-30 Hz. I listened to them also on my beolab 5 and there is not a material loss in structure et al. For the ones interested listen to the Haendel Rinaldo recoding with Cecilia Bartoli Tracks 15 (Aria: Furie terrible). This is a great track to check the power a LS has very deep. 

M

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #13,580 of 15,694
Guys
I don't want to start a discussion
But when I plugged lcd X and th900 I could feel to not get their best, so I use it as a dac and I upgraded to lcd3 because to use an amp I prefer this one (that from the Hugo sounds very slow a bit muddy and the bass is not tight. The same with the hd800)
But from the momentum the amp section sound amazing, for sure an easier listening than top cans but for working example top setup
The same from earsonics in ear that scale very much becoming super detailed-and so no so easy listening)
Jvc 850sound great!
So I was wondering to upgrade to a mid size can or very comfortable in ear custom give me headache
Meanwhile I found a th 600 new for a great price that I actually prefer for my use with that more robust cup

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #13,581 of 15,694
Fostex th00
Ie800

I am not happy with the IE800 straight out of the Hugo. The mids seem very sucked-out to me. You need to try it with your music, but I may have to move it on...

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #13,583 of 15,694
I do not have a noble history with IEMs, but I preferred the sound of my humble Shure E4C-N out of the Hugo (to the IE800). Now all this talk about the Shure 846... hum... another dream.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #13,585 of 15,694
846 is made for Hugo. Or the other way around?

I agree with this. The SE846 sounds stunning driven by the Hugo. Although it actually has way too much power – but that doesn't hurt (only if you're really sensitive to hiss – detected by some –, which I'm not).

Tip: SE846 with completely emptied black filter tubes, EQ settings on the X5 II:      –0.8     –3.4     –4       –2.4     –1.4     –0.4     –5.4     –4       –5.2     –4

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #13,586 of 15,694
I am not happy with the IE800 straight out of the Hugo. The mids seem very sucked-out to me. You need to try it with your music, but I may have to move it on...

Have you try using comply ear tip (comfort 500 I think)? I never used Senn's original again - I found comply much better balance sound wise. Plus you don't get that horrible pad moving in your ear sound either. I am happy with my IE800 with comply & hugo

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #13,587 of 15,694
Thanks! Will try...

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #13,588 of 15,694
Shure 846...? It s a bit expansive and I don't love the fitting of the balanced in ear ..
But I have to you agree that you can be right, even from my sm3v2 the sound become very detail and realistic, so detail that loose a bit in musicality and going to be fatiguating

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #13,589 of 15,694
I find the hugo
Guys
I don't want to start a discussion
But when I plugged lcd X and th900 I could feel to not get their best, so I use it as a dac and I upgraded to lcd3 because to use an amp I prefer this one (that from the Hugo sounds very slow a bit muddy and the bass is not tight. The same with the hd800)
But from the momentum the amp section sound amazing, for sure an easier listening than top cans but for working example top setup
The same from earsonics in ear that scale very much becoming super detailed-and so no so easy listening)
Jvc 850sound great!
So I was wondering to upgrade to a mid size can or very comfortable in ear custom give me headache
Meanwhile I found a th 600 new for a great price that I actually prefer for my use with that more robust cup

Don't mean to throw down the gontlet, but, the Xs are my main HP with the Hugo.  As I mentioned a while ago, I added a small boost below 120Hz out of curiosity, and I enjoy that extra feel of a kickdrum pushing air and no problems with the bass; tight but moving.
IMHO, I don't find the 846 gives me quite enough bass, but still good to listen.  Have you considered the Angies in any of your searches?  I get  a good balance out of them including bass. 
And if bass isn't tight enough out of some HPs,maybe a bit of EQ'ing?

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #13,590 of 15,694
Shure 846...? It s a bit expansive and I don't love the fitting of the balanced in ear ..
But I have to you agree that you can be right, even from my sm3v2 the sound become very detail and realistic, so detail that loose a bit in musicality and going to be fatiguating

Tried Shure 846 on Hugo/Mojo as well. It does sound too bright to me. It sound great and very detailed on well recorded music. But it's just too harsh on not so well recorded and very complicated tracks. Too bad, the fit is perfect for my ears.

I generally like neutral to slightly bright sound signatures but to my ears SE846 is not a good match for Hugo/Mojo due to the reason I stated above. Hidition NT-6 is bright but it doesn't sound so harsh and fatiguing which makes it a very resolving in-ear that allows me to enjoy for longer listening than most headphone/in-ears that leans toward bright signatures.

Most people describe it as bright in-ear but retains musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back