Chord Hugo
Sep 27, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #12,001 of 15,694
Following some messages read recently, I made comparison between the HD-USB input of the Hugo using USB Audio output of my Nexus 7 (OTG) and my silent PC using the USB interface Yellowtec Puc 2 (with 5V Aqvox supply)  via spdif output.
For my taste, I prefer with a large margin the spdif input of the Hugo. The duo Puc2/Hugo is magic. The couple Hugo/USB android Nexus 7 is just very fine.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #12,002 of 15,694
today tried captain America winter soldier bd with Hugo and benchmark ahb2 combo. the nick fury suv attack scene was so real that it sounded like a window had opened in front of me. every small directional cue and explosion was so realistically conveyed even in two channel mode that I hardly felt any need of multi channel set up. Hugo is dynamic range champion and if partnered with right kit it can be great for hassle free two channel set up even for movies.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #12,003 of 15,694
what more, the ever low ouput impedence of Hugo allowed for directly connecting both power amp and monitor audio rsw12 sealed sub to rca out of hugo using rca splitter. so Hugo volume controls both the amp and sub. nothing imho can be as straight forward as this.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #12,004 of 15,694
Just listening to daft punk - random access memory - album 24-88,2 flac thru jriver media center 19 on macbookpro.hugo is connected via audioquest cinnamon rca to cayin cs55a tube amp. Only one word waw! Amazing détail ,flow, warm sound! Luv it!
One question though, i couldn t connect marantz cd player via coax to hugo??? Neither my tv receiver? I just bought a ship coax cable and was womdering if it was the reason???source was correctly choosen on hugo(red) no sound???

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #12,005 of 15,694
One question though, i couldn t connect marantz cd player via coax to hugo??? Neither my tv receiver? I just bought a ship coax cable and was womdering if it was the reason???source was correctly choosen on hugo(red) no sound???

Manual says connect to the yellow phono socket on your source?

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #12,006 of 15,694
I have denon universal player and marantz cd player,tried to connect coax out to coax in in the hugo nothing! Is there different coax cables with different specifications??? It s my first coax cable so far:unamused: And not familiar at all! Just bought a ship one to investigate the results !

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #12,007 of 15,694
I have denon universal player and marantz cd player,tried to connect coax out to coax in in the hugo nothing! Is there different coax cables with different specifications??? It s my first coax cable so far:unamused: And not familiar at all! Just bought a ship one to investigate the results !

Not too familiar with coax cables either, but I do know there are digital coax cable versus analog coax cables, so you might want to make sure yours is digital.  Hopefully others can confirm or correct this info!!

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #12,009 of 15,694
Just listening to daft punk - random access memory - album 24-88,2 flac thru jriver media center 19 on macbookpro.hugo is connected via audioquest cinnamon rca to cayin cs55a tube amp. Only one word waw! Amazing détail ,flow, warm sound! Luv it!

What's a ship coax?

Manual says connect to the yellow phono socket on your source?

Which manual? Yellow is normally composite video...
Edit: Oh yes the Hugo's coax input is yellow - I see now.

All coax cables should work - They are normally yellow for video,white and red for phono applications and black for single digital use or subwoofer, but it's all the same cable.

Not too familiar with coax cables either, but I do know there are digital coax cable versus analog coax cables, so you might want to make sure yours is digital.  Hopefully others can confirm or correct this info!!

See above...

Ahhh that s it! I think i bought the wrong one! Thank s for the info!

Again, not sure what cable you have bought...
Most units that have coax digital out also have optical digital out. Have you tried connecting to your CD player via optical?

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #12,011 of 15,694
Yes my cd player is connected via optical to hugo, working fine! The coax is called bandridge 20 usd.

There are 2 types of cable commonly referred to as coax. The one's I described above and ones used for aerials (antennae), which have different connectors. If it's terminated in RCA/phono male jacks then it should work. Obviously make sure that you use the digital out from the CD player and the coax in on the Hugo. Check to see whether the output requires selection from the player (unlikely)...

Edit: If you have bought the wrong type, then I'm sure you must have some audio or video coax in the house somewhere - you may need to use one lead of a pair or triple cable.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #12,012 of 15,694
for those who want to use dsd files thru their bdp's USB input and coaxial out, there is sw for Mac which encodes dsd into 24bit 176khz flacs which plays like any other flac on bdp. for windows there is no sw but there is a plugin for foobar which allows conversion of dsd files into dop flacs. these can be played on portable players like fiio x3 and x5 too. this oviatrs the need if using USB input of Hugo or other USB to coaxial converters.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #12,014 of 15,694
for those who want to use dsd files thru their bdp's USB input and coaxial out, there is sw for Mac which encodes dsd into 24bit 176khz flacs which plays like any other flac on bdp. for windows there is no sw but there is a plugin for foobar which allows conversion of dsd files into dop flacs. these can be played on portable players like fiio x3 and x5 too. this oviatrs the need if using USB input of Hugo or other USB to coaxial converters.

What is a bdp?  Why would you want to mix usb with coaxial?  Why would you encode DSD to PCM on the fly?  What's an oviatrs?

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #12,015 of 15,694

What is a bdp?

What's an oviatrs?

Perhaps a Bryston BDP digital audio player? (Could also be a blu-ray disc player. Okay, I'm obviously just guessing here ...)

No idea what "oviatrs" means though, but its position in the sentence seems to suggest that it's less likely to be "an oviatrs", i.e. a noun, than a verb. (Perhaps "omits"?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back