Chord Hugo
May 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #10,681 of 15,694
I know the Chord DAVE sounds expensive, but when you look at the rest of Chord's available equipment and price tags, I feel it is something that fits in fine with their line-up. Personally I own Chord pre-amp and monoblocks for my speaker system, and had a QBD76HD.. I sold it as I wanted better performance and was willing to pay.. even now with my emmlabs dac2x, it's still the cheapest item in my system.

The flagship wouldn't be for everyone and it's good that the company continues to push the forefront as it benefits all their other product lines. That's why Chord has the 2Qute, Hugo, Hugo TT, etc.. so consumers have a choice at which level they want to enter at.

Add: I'm really glad they put in a headphone output this time round. I'd have kept my QBD76 for headphone usage if it did!

May 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #10,682 of 15,694
MSB DCS sell expensive DACS too but I haven't ever wasted my time to audition them because they are overpriced.

at this price level, just buy a Linn LP12 and some records. Thanks Chord, but no thanks you can keep the Dave and I'll keep my money

Guys just try to listen to a Linn KDS renew, honestly you would be very happy 3200 GBP. End game.

If the DAVE was priced at QBD76 level then fair enough but this goes too far.

What a way to piss off your customers.

May 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #10,683 of 15,694
  MSB DCS sell expensive DACS too but I haven't ever wasted my time to audition them because they are overpriced.

at this price level, just buy a Linn LP12 and some records. Thanks Chord, but no thanks you can keep the Dave and I'll keep my money

Guys just try to listen to a Linn KDS renew, honestly you would be very happy 3200 GBP. End game.

That sounds too harsh to me. The Dave sound may very well be worth its price, it's just that only few will be able to afford it. And BTW, who listens to LPs these days! Many don't even own CDs anymore, so the LP12 recommendation is a bit elitist.
wink.gif

May 15, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #10,685 of 15,694
  What sort of a soundbar are you using? Must be quite something to wish to run it out of a Hugo. I am also interested in a similar setup :).

sorry I'm late but yes . I'm thinking it's very good idea to use hugo for gaming and watching movies . since I can't use in my work so I think it's good idea to use with my Tv so I bought a new Definitive Technology W Studio Multi Room  sound bar with Wireless Subwoofer , still couldn't find way to pair it with hugo .

May 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #10,688 of 15,694

sorry I'm late but yes . I'm thinking it's very good idea to use hugo for gaming and watching movies . since I can't use in my work so I think it's good idea to use with my Tv so I bought a new Definitive Technology W Studio Multi Room  sound bar with Wireless Subwoofer , still couldn't find way to pair it with hugo .

My soundbar has RCA inputs.  Seems as though that might be the only way to connect to the Hugo.

May 15, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #10,689 of 15,694

Why - no one *has* to buy it. I say good luck to them. No one else has been able to design such advanced product using market leading technology, so the product should demand a premium price.

Ah I have it ! ...... maybe they used a rough school of thumb based on number of taps, I.e. Dave has eights times the number of taps as the Hugo and is also *around* eight times the price (well a bit less I guess)

Based on the wonderful sound quality of the Hugo, though, I would be really interested to learn on how much better Dave sounds.

May 15, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #10,692 of 15,694
I am thinking about replacing Algorythm Solo -dB + RSA S71B with Chord Hugo. I am however confused with Hugo's ability to pull high resolution sound from iPhone. I read on the forum that Hugo can pull 24/192 sound from iDevices, while Solo can only pull 24/48 sound. Given that a solo is Apple certified it doesn't make sense it is inferior to a not certified device. Am I missing something? Please help.

May 16, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #10,694 of 15,694
A little favor (or favour in UK) for we mere mortals here, would you please kindly move DAVE-related topics to a new thread so that future owners won't be missing anything? Many Thanks!

In my case, for CD player as a transport I prefer SPDIF coax compare to Optical and for mac mini I prefer USB compare to Optical. Optical sounds bass heavy with slightly less detail.

FYI - another fellow owner of Hugo tried WW Supernova 7 and that turned out to be superior to both coax via AP2+PurePower as well as USB

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/8730#post_11028347

Hello People,
What are the best Toslink cables you know of that fit the Hugo ('new' Chassis)?
I like the WireWorld Supernova 7 - but am open to other suggestions.

Thanks

This one looks OK to me and we could ask them to give us a quote for 0.5m instead of 3.0m

GaMs9ZF.jpg

http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-digital/

I am thinking about replacing Algorythm Solo -dB + RSA S71B with Chord Hugo. I am however confused with Hugo's ability to pull high resolution sound from iPhone. I read on the forum that Hugo can pull 24/192 sound from iDevices, while Solo can only pull 24/48 sound. Given that a solo is Apple certified it doesn't make sense it is inferior to a not certified device. Am I missing something? Please help.

We went through quite a few stages before so here we go:

1. Pre-CCK Era was pretty much like the "Dark Age" when everyone must pay Apple for their MFi Program. We only had just a few portable products (e.g. from Cypher Labs and Fostex etc.) back then, and they're always limited to 16/48.
  2. Post-CCK Era kicked in when Apple released their Camera Connection Kit. That's really designed for USB Mass Storage in mind for transferring pictures from a digital camera. However, that happened to work for UAC2 (USB Audio Class 2.0) as well and we could connect something like USB DAC or USB microphone to an iPad via CCK. Basically we could go all the way up to 384KHz as well as the multiples of DSD without any issues.
  3. Post-iOS 7.X Era turned out to be even better since both iPod Touch and iPhone running iOS 7.0 or above could benefit from CCK.

This is an older one for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0 or above

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

This is the latest one for iPod Touch 5G (or later) and iPhone 5 (or later) running iOS 7.0 or above

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

This is an unofficial product from China and it's more convenient as a single-piece solution, of course it might not work anymore once we've updated iOS in the future

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43233663546

laoSTmL.jpg

May 16, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #10,695 of 15,694
Why - no one *has* to buy it. I say good luck to them. No one else has been able to design such advanced product using market leading technology, so the product should demand a premium price.

Ah I have it ! ...... maybe they used a rough school of thumb based on number of taps, I.e. Dave has eights times the number of taps as the Hugo and is also *around* eight times the price (well a bit less I guess)

Based on the wonderful sound quality of the Hugo, though, I would be really interested to learn on how much better Dave sounds.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back