Chord Hugo
May 15, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #10,666 of 15,692
CHORD ELECTRONICS INTRODUCES THEMOST ADVANCED DAC IN THE WORLD: DAVE
Chord Electronics has launched its most advanced DAC to date. Given the acronym DAVE, Chord’s latest-generation digital-to-analogue convertor features the very best conversion technology available, using proprietary techniques never seen before.
DAVE is a highly advanced reference-grade DAC, digital preamp and headphone amplifier. Hand-made in Kent, DAVE is based around a proprietary FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) offering more than ten times the program capacity of its predecessor.
At its heart lies a new (and in electronics terms, huge) LX75 version of the Spartan 6 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA). The FPGA’s extraordinary capability enables a number of key sonic benefits including significantly improved timing and the best noise-shaper performance of any known DAC. DAVE’s technology delivers music with unmatched reality and musicality, with an unrivalled timing response.

Technology in depth: new WTA filter
Chord Electronics has implemented a brand new WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filter with 164,000 taps. WTA filtering is now up to 256 FS (that's 256-times the sample frequency) — no other DAC has ever FIR filtered at such a high rate! In order to process signals at this unprecedented rate, DAVE has massive parallel-processing capacity with 166 separate DSP cores just for the WTA filtering alone. This enables DAVE to reproduce the original unsampled analogue signal more accurately than any other DAC.
The output stage has been advanced with a new 20-element Pulse Array DAC and a unique second-order analogue noise-shaper, which gives ultra-high-frequency linearity. Its output feeds both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA outputs, as well as an advanced headphone output with more than enough capability for the most impedance-challenging headphones.

Display
A key benefit over its predecessor is a full-sized LCD display, showing input, sample frequency and volume, plus set-up and configuration options. The display, which sits behind the famous Chord porthole, is clearly visible from a variety of angles and retains the signature colour display for volume and sample rate as introduced by the landmark Hugo DAC/headphone amp. On its fascia, DAVE also features a rotary encoder with a large stainless steel controller and ball buttons, enabling direct interactivity in addition to the supplied remote control.
DAVE’s advanced technology is enshrined in Chord Electronics’ trademark casework which has been precision-milled from solid aircraft-grade aluminium to deliver functional strength and rigidity, as well as great beauty. Simply stated, DAVE is the most advanced DAC in the world, something Chord Electronics is immensely proud of.

Why DAVE?
Chord has given its most advanced DAC to date a moniker that best reflects the product’s capability; a device so advanced and with so few compromises, that it is absolutely truthful in the extreme; a standard that all other DACs on the market simply cannot hope to match.
Chord initially looked at using Latinised versions of the term ‘Extreme Truth’ or ‘Veritas’ in a move away from model names with simple numbers and letters. Chord eventually chose the acronym DAVE which joins Hugo and stands for Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis.

Specification
Inputs:
USB B-style 44 kHz to 768 kHz DXD and Quad DSD
2x optical
1 x AES
4 x Coax
Dual-data mode available
44kHz to 192kHz 44kHz to 192kHz
44kHz to 384kHz
Outputs digital:
2x ultra-high-speed coax 768kHz dual-data mode (for use with future-unannounced Chord Electronics products)
Maximum output voltage: 6 volts RMS
THD and noise at 2.5 volts: RMS 0.000015 %
THD and noise at 2.5 volts: 127dBA Awt (124dBA into 33 ohms) Dynamic range at -60 dBFS 1kHz -127 dBA A wt
(No measurable noise floor modulation, no a harmonic distortion) (Analogue distortion characteristic: no distortion for small signals) Power requirements: mains power 80 volts to 260 volts; AC 20 watts

Price/images
DAVE will be available in the autumn priced at £7,995.

May 15, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #10,667 of 15,692
Thanks for updating us!
That positioning of the headphone out looks ridiculous though and so does that display... the price as well (I mean to me, that is).
Hugo looks much better I think :)

May 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #10,668 of 15,692
Greed is the justification.Theirs no way on earth,that Dave(lol)will cost £7995 to make.still I'm sure some people will pay that sort of price,but i certainly won't be one of them.

Discount supermarkets still make profits so do not see the point being made. The target customer is clear

May 15, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #10,669 of 15,692
I'll be listening to B.B. King on my Hugo today.  Rest in peace.

May 15, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #10,670 of 15,692
  Thanks for updating us!
That positioning of the headphone out looks ridiculous though and so does that display... the price as well (I mean to me, that is).
Hugo looks much better I think :)

Why do DACs always have to look like Household Appliances nowadays??
What's wrong with those people  — 
deadhorse.gif

May 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #10,671 of 15,692
Discount supermarkets still make profits so do not see the point being made. The target customer is clear
The point being made is no dac is worth that sort of money.You can bet your bottom dollar over half of what your paying for that dac will be clear profit,that's thousands of pounds pure profit for one item.i believe in people making money but really,they must see you coming.

May 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #10,673 of 15,692
So «Dave» is the famous «project xxxx». I must say I'm slightly (or more) disappointed about the price and the look. Although I generally like Chord's styling, there's too much of it in Dave for my taste.

May 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #10,675 of 15,692
May 15, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #10,676 of 15,692
The point being made is no dac is worth that sort of money.You can bet your bottom dollar over half of what your paying for that dac will be clear profit,that's thousands of pounds pure profit for one item.i believe in people making money but really,they must see you coming.

err small point if I may, but there are other considerations before you make unfair assumptions on how much profit is being made (I don't work for Chord btw)... firstly when a product leaves the UK it is subject to export taxes & duties, in Europe we have VAT the UK rate is 20% of the product retail price. Then you have to factor in the Distributor & Dealer networks, you can betcha they have kids to feed so will want to earn something for selling the products.

Now my personal take on things is that 'Dave' is a upgrade on the QBD and offers a lot more besides, anyhow here's a photo of John Franks holding Chord's new flagship DAC.

May 15, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #10,678 of 15,692
  err small point if I may, but there are other considerations before you make unfair assumptions on how much profit is being made (I don't work for Chord btw)... firstly when a product leaves the UK it is subject to export taxes & duties, in Europe we have VAT the UK rate is 20% of the product retail price. Then you have to factor in the Distributor & Dealer networks, you can betcha they have kids to feed so will want to earn something for selling the products.

Now my personal take on things is that 'Dave' is a upgrade on the QBD and offers a lot more besides, anyhow here's a photo of John Franks holding Chord's new flagship DAC.

Now that looks much nicer to me, without what seems a dispensable rack.

I also found the hidden headphone jack:

May 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #10,679 of 15,692

Now that looks much nicer to me, without what seems a dispensable rack.

I also found the hidden headphone jack:

a couple more photo's of Dave...

Here is a twenty year progression of Chord DAC's - Dac 64 = 1024 tap filter (top) - QBD 76 = 18,000 taps (middle) & Dave =164,000 taps (foreground).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back