Chord Hugo
Feb 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #9,661 of 15,694
Apologies for quoting your post of some months ago but I am slowly trawling through this thread thinking about buying the Hugo and see that you have a Leckerton and the TF- 10s both of which which I have.

I wondered how the TF-10s sound with the Hugo. And secondly do use the Leckerton UHA -6S ii as a headphone amp with the Hugo at all?

Thanks

I hate to disappoint, but my TF10s have passed on.  I'm using  846s now.  But, I found on whatever IEMs or phones I use, the Hugo definately beats the UHA-6 IIs.  As much as the 6 improved greatly from the IPod160 I was feeding it, the Hugo has much better control of the bass than the UHA.  Don't forget I'm using OPA209s.  
I use the UHA for general screen-reading purposes now, and save the Hugo for music listening sessions.  And if I had the Hugo bag, I'd be using it portably with my X5.
HTH.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #9,662 of 15,694
I hate to disappoint, but my TF10s have passed on.  I'm using  846s now.  But, I found on whatever IEMs or phones I use, the Hugo definately beats the UHA-6 IIs.  As much as the 6 improved greatly from the IPod160 I was feeding it, the Hugo has much better control of the bass than the UHA.  Don't forget I'm using OPA209s.  
I use the UHA for general screen-reading purposes now, and save the Hugo for music listening sessions.  And if I had the Hugo bag, I'd be using it portably with my X5.
HTH.

Thanks,

No worries I will be testing the TF10s out on Thursday. I do love my Leckerton but if I get a Hugo, I think both my headphone Amps have to go in order to justify the purchase.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #9,663 of 15,694
Thanks,

No worries I will be testing the TF10s out on Thursday. I do love my Leckerton but if I get a Hugo, I think both my headphone Amps have to go in order to justify the purchase.

Ican't see you missing your UHA-6 too long after getting a Hugo.  I keep the 6 just in case.  And to answer the other question in your first post:  I don't use the 6 as an amp with the Hugo, as I find the sound from H to be very relaxing on its own.  Last night, I had a beautifully mezmorising listen with my Xs, and found it hard to go to sleep for wanting more.
I really hope you find ol' Hugo to be ear-opening.
Kevin

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #9,664 of 15,694
Well for all you hugo folks out there....i just got an aurender flow to compare with the hugo. Aurrender flow is a heavy piece of aluminum  slab and very sleek looking with beautiful controls.

BUT there is something still special about the hugo 
The hugo has better bass, stereo separation, and instruments have more space ...in comparison the aurender sounds dull and compressed. The aurender is very good sounding dac but falls short if you compare it with hugo.

The sad truth is the hugo is over $1000 and i was hoping to replace it with the aurender flow. But once again Hugo wins!

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #9,665 of 15,694
  Well for all you hugo folks out there....i just got an aurender flow to compare with the hugo. Aurrender flow is a heavy piece of aluminum  slab and very sleek looking with beautiful controls.

BUT there is something still special about the hugo 
The hugo has better bass, stereo separation, and instruments have more space ...in comparison the aurender sounds dull and compressed. The aurender is very good sounding dac but falls short if you compare it with hugo.

The sad truth is the hugo is over $1000 and i was hoping to replace it with the aurender flow. But once again Hugo wins!

I had a listen to the Hugo and found it on the lean side. You mentioned it had better bass - does this mean better impact/slam/punch?

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #9,666 of 15,694
Last night, I had a beautifully mezmorising listen with my Xs, and found it hard to go to sleep for wanting more.
I really hope you find ol' Hugo to be ear-opening.
Kevin

Thanks again.

But will I? Clearly for most people who have heard the Hugo, the answer seems to be a resounding Yes. But. I feel a little nervous. Along the lines of - there is something wrong with me if I don't like the Hugo. And if I do like it, is it only because my brain has been preconditioned to believe that is really is better?

Time will tell tomorrow and I plan to be open minded. Maybe do a blind test in the demo room?

Another question - is the Hugo susceptible to electrostatic interference. I travel on a train with my audio equipment on a table in front of me and currently get no problems with Dx90 into the Leckerton, but a few with the Dx90 with no Amp?

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #9,668 of 15,694

This is the new chassis Hugo. The bottom base length is longer than the top base of the Micro USB port. When I mean "came off" I literally mean, as I was pulling my USB cable out of the port, it broke off (I didn't use a lot of strength to simply just break it off). Currently using the HD Micro USB port for the time being but I would like to have the other Micro USB port repaired.

unfortunately that is the older connector

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #9,671 of 15,694
I am a bit late to the party here as this thread began in January.

As an owner of chord DACs from 2000 with the original DAC64 and now with the QBD76 and Blu cd player combo (Astonishing) I can say that with the Hugo you own what is probably one of the best DAC's in the world bar two others made by chord, the QBD76HD and the Red reference MKII cd player.

The reason.. Timing. Rob watts spent 25 years developing this DAC technology based on his work in the 80's and when he owned DPA. There are no DACS around from any other chip manufacturer that understand the use of TAP lengths to decrease the timing errors that occur when DAC conversation takes place. the way Rob Watts does. Brilliant engineer. 

I would employ you to try your Hugo against a 30k DAC you will be surprised that in many respects the HUGO comes out on top never mind the QBD76HD, which is in a class of its own.

On a personal note the chord DAC's including the Hugo are as close to my Vinyl turntable as I have ever heard and that is one heck of a compliment seeing as my turntable is an SME model 10 with a Series V tonearm. 

Enjoy..

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #9,672 of 15,694
Thanks again.

But will I? Clearly for most people who have heard the Hugo, the answer seems to be a resounding Yes. But. I feel a little nervous. Along the lines of - there is something wrong with me if I don't like the Hugo. And if I do like it, is it only because my brain has been preconditioned to believe that is really is better?

Time will tell tomorrow and I plan to be open minded. Maybe do a blind test in the demo room?

Another question - is the Hugo susceptible to electrostatic interference. I travel on a train with my audio equipment on a table in front of me and currently get no problems with Dx90 into the Leckerton, but a few with the Dx90 with no Amp?

My dad never suffered fools gladly.  Neither should you.  It's an expensive piece of engineering musical art you're considering, so ignore the fanboy pressure either way and buy or don't buy at your own wants.
Secondly, I've heard more static from my Leckerton and none that I can recall, on my Hugo.
HTH

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #9,673 of 15,694
All I can say is let your ears do the talking believe me you will know if its the right device for you.
If you're not sure then find your nearest authorised Chord HIFI dealer and have listen before you buy, if you are able to do that.

I am writing from experience as someone who is as fussy as you could possibly be about sound quality,, not the sound of the system but the music, after all that's what I  love listening to. The timing, pitch, instrument timbre, depth and width of the soundstage presented to your ears these are the traits you should be listening for. 

Don't miss-understand me, the Hugo is a portable device so the music it presents should not be taken out of context in relation to a fixed device like a good high end DAC with enhanced power supply, discreet components etc, and the headphone you use will present the music in deferent ways depending on the which one you choose. I use an Oppo PM-1, as well as a Bowers and Wilkins and they present the music in very different ways, and that is the beauty of the Hugo, it does what it does so well that you can here the difference between each headphone and that is the mark of a superior product.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #9,674 of 15,694
All I can say is let your ears do the talking believe me you will know if its the right device for you.
If you're not sure then find your nearest authorised Chord HIFI dealer and have listen before you buy, if you are able to do that.

I am writing from experience as someone who is as fussy as you could possibly be about sound quality,, not the sound of the system but the music, after all that's what I  love listening to. The timing, pitch, instrument timbre, depth and width of the soundstage presented to your ears these are the traits you should be listening for. 

Don't miss-understand me, the Hugo is a portable device so the music it presents should not be taken out of context in relation to a fixed device like a good high end DAC with enhanced power supply, discreet components etc, and the headphone you use will present the music in deferent ways depending on the which one you choose. I use an Oppo PM-1, as well as a Bowers and Wilkins and they present the music in very different ways, and that is the beauty of the Hugo, it does what it does so well that you can here the difference between each headphone and that is the mark of a superior product.

As it happens I am going to see a dealer tomorrow (yay!!) and will test it as both a portable Dac into UE TP FI -10s and Sennheiser 600s, as well as into a Stereo 2- channel set-up. I should also be able to try it at home.

I will let my ears be the judge but your comments & experience are useful.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #9,675 of 15,694
  Does anyone know if these locking connectors will fit inside the Hugo? It's hard to tell just looking at the pictures.

Straightwire Maestro's in case your wondering. Close up below.

I worked for Straight Wire when those locking connectors were first employed, and I believe the diameter is too large for the Hugo. You can always have them re-terminated if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back