Chord Hugo
Feb 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9,676 of 15,694

I worked for Straight Wire when those locking connectors were first employed, and I believe the diameter is too large for the Hugo. You can always have them re-terminated if need be.

Well you might of been the dude that sold them to me. So many years ago.  I hope re-terminating them doesn't change the sound quality. They're really in a league of their own.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #9,677 of 15,694

Well you might of been the dude that sold them to me. So many years ago.  I hope re-terminating them doesn't change the sound quality. They're really in a league of their own.

I worked at SW for about a year in 92-93 as its sales director. I hated living in south Florida, so I moved to northern CA.

Maestro was very popular back then having received numerous write-ups about its sonic attributes. I'm happy to hear you're still enjoying yours. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #9,678 of 15,694
  Day #2

Thought people would like to know I can confirm the Hugo works with iphone 5 using the lightning USB camera cable (I'm guessing that iPads are not an issue as well).
Software player used is an Onkyo HF and have been able to output 24/192 and DSD64 into the Hugo (the Hugo lights up with the expected color for that format)!!
Have not tried this with an Android device but assume if I could get it to work with an iOS device the Android should be much easier...

Will get to SQ at some point but thought that this was significant enough --> Anyone with a smart phone now has an instant music server.
Now if we could load it up with 256GB or memory..

You get Hi res indicator light when playing hugo via iPhone? I did not think iPHone could ouput high-res files...
mmmmm....

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #9,680 of 15,694
Hugo owners

1. Does the silver Hugo have the same finish and look of a Grace M903?
2. Which finish looks better in low light?
3. Does recent silver have the same connectors as black?

Thanks

also
In ear like Shure 846 or over ear like TH900, LCD3 better with Hugo?

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #9,681 of 15,694
  You get Hi res indicator light when playing hugo via iPhone? I did not think iPHone could ouput high-res files...
mmmmm....

You can use Onkyo HF app to play hires files and out put through CCK cable (camera kit) and then to USB-Micro USB into Hugo hires input.
Works great for me on the go in my messenger bag. I don't strap it together though. Keep the usb chord long and just take out the iPhone to change songs while my IEM is connected to the Hugo.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #9,684 of 15,694
also
In ear like Shure 846 or over ear like TH900, LCD3 better with Hugo?

I have the Roxanne and UERM and I prefer the TH900 and even the HD800 with Hugo. But I also prefer not to have things sticking in my ears if I can help it. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #9,685 of 15,694

I would employ you to try your Hugo against a 30k DAC you will be surprised that in many respects the HUGO comes out on top never mind the QBD76HD, which is in a class of its own.

On a personal note the chord DAC's including the Hugo are as close to my Vinyl turntable as I have ever heard and that is one heck of a compliment seeing as my turntable is an SME model 10 with a Series V tonearm. 

Enjoy..

Thanks but many of us are keen to hear it alongside a certain 2300USD DAC that should be released by the end of April at the latest. Very, very keen.  

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #9,686 of 15,694

I would employ you to try your Hugo against a 30k DAC you will be surprised that in many respects the HUGO comes out on top never mind the QBD76HD, which is in a class of its own.

On a personal note the chord DAC's including the Hugo are as close to my Vinyl turntable as I have ever heard and that is one heck of a compliment seeing as my turntable is an SME model 10 with a Series V tonearm. 

Enjoy..

Thanks but many of us are keen to hear it alongside a certain 2300USD DAC that should be released by the end of April at the latest. Very, very keen.  

It's out in Canada 5400$ if you mean the TT. Consider a sale though as I just got the hugo, cable upgrades for my 846 and th900. , sooo if I can just chill with what I have for a while...if that's possible.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #9,688 of 15,694

I guess I'm not in the memo loop... 2300US$ DAC release in April?

I'm guessing Schiit Yggdrasil.

Btw, how does Hugo stack up to the rest of their DACs, namely Bifrost and Gungnir?

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #9,689 of 15,694

Even if schiit ones do have a chance in sound, they still are not portable, which is one of the basic principles of hugo.

not to speak of the fact that hugo can standalone drive some of the hardest to drive headphones.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #9,690 of 15,694

My Hugo first impressions

* Bigger than I expected and more sturdy. In pictures, I thought it looked a bit plasticky. Not a bit. The black model looks very elegant
* Cool, so cool, wow this is a cool device to pick up, touch and look at.
* Cool features - being able to look inside the device and see the the Spartan chip and the 3 LEDs ; having the different colours to reflect different source specifications and the volume control lighting is helpful.
* Intuitive to use, once you have used it for a day - on/off switch on, press to select the source, one for cross-feed (if you want), then adjust the volume to your chosen colour.
* All my connectors coaxial or earphone plugs fitted -:)
* Bluetooth works fine, but I need to keep the Iphone still. Spotify streaming 320K sounds very acceptable.
* No hiss at all with UE TF10s

Sound - initial feelings

1. At the dealers, I found it much easier to determine a difference in quality when listening through earphones than through a desk top into speakers and comparing the Hugo to the otherwise fine Dx90, the latter feels more lightweight and thinner in the sound it produces
2. As people have mentioned the bass is rich & full. The music flows like silky water
3. It doesn't sound thin at all with the UE TP 10s
4. Yes the Hugo *is* good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back