Chord Hugo
Feb 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #9,586 of 15,694
The Hugo has tempted me for sometime and I have read a fair amount of this thread and appreciate the Hugo uses its proprietary technology.

I realise this is a hobby where people think they have a great sounding pierce of equipment and then they move to something else.

So to help me make my choice:

For those who still have a Hugo, why do you ?

And for those who did buy one, why do you not have one now ?

Thanks !

I have listened to it in a very long session, and i decided to take into account the price and follow the thread for a time, then buy it. the only reason to buy it versus anything else is the sound quality. it is above anything else ever created. do not understand me wrong, there is a difference, of about 5-10% between it an my fiio x5,

so your dx90 should be somewhere 3-7% different to chord hugo, but this is the hobby.

if you want the ultimate sound, and you want it portable, chord hugo is the best option alavaible. Ifi micro idsd something is pretty good, but there is a difference between it and hugo, so yes, hugo is the best portable.

this is just my honest opinion now, but hd800 or something more flagship as a headphone/iem would justify chord hugo more. this is why i am yet to buy something ultrasone edition 5 unlimited, ultrasone signature dj, and some iem, before, to test it with my to be ultimate headphone and iem. with hd800 it sounded great, but i cannot use open back, so i did not test that extensive.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #9,587 of 15,694
The Hugo has tempted me for sometime and I have read a fair amount of this thread and appreciate the Hugo uses its proprietary technology.

I realise this is a hobby where people think they have a great sounding piece of equipment and then they move to something else.

So to help me make my choice:

For those who still have a Hugo, why do you ?

And for those who did buy one, why do you not have one now ?

Thanks !

You really need o listen to it if you can then all will become apparent! 

But from my first encounter with a Hugo demo unit last year (I come from primarily been a Hi-Fi speaker set up guy and only went into Head-fi a few years ago on a serious level) but first minute of hearing one was immediate to me I had not heard this level of SQ in a device this small yet it sounds so analog to listen to it becomes smooth and fluid with great clarity and space it makes listening to music enjoyable and fun like the old days of listening to vinyl on Hi-Fi as the Hugo makes it feel detached from the analytical fault finding of the weakest link in the performance of the recording or equipment we all tend to do to justify making that move onto the next thing you mentioned.  

Also I have heard these now with quite a few different sources and headphones and they sound great with anything i have heard and headphones and earphones scale well with the Hugo feeding them. 

That's just my personal experience I had with the Hugo and welcome anything that is this portable and flexible that can match it for SQ.  It is not quite perfect maybe if you do have heavy to drive cans in 600 ohm region to their full potential but that is why the TT Hugo is here for if you are serious with that heavy load type of cans.  I will move onto something else for sure... when the Hugo II comes out! - as it will be a while before anyone can match this natural free flowing sounding dac with a good head amp in a package this small. 

Or just ask the studio engineers who are now using it for mastering sessions now ; )

Honestly though, if you can try and get to listen to one if possible as no matter how good something is which by demographic for Hugo is anything to go by is another story: anyway everyone might love Coca Cola for example, but does not mean you will...

I love Coca Cola.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #9,588 of 15,694
You will have first dibs, given your location with the TT, please let us know what you think, especially concerning heavier demand cans.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #9,590 of 15,694
  what kind of noise can come from an usb?

Android Kitkat is known to cause noise via USB on cellphones. Also, I imagine any unstable beta androids derivative build will do the same. My Cyanogen Nightly 12-20150207-NIGHTLY-bacon on my OnePlus One is making a digital crackling noise nonstop.

Anyone know anything about tweaking the android OS caused noise via usb otg?

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #9,591 of 15,694
You really need o listen to it if you can then all will become apparent! 

But from my first encounter with a Hugo demo unit last year (I come from primarily been a Hi-Fi speaker set up guy and only went into Head-fi a few years ago on a serious level) but first minute of hearing one was immediate to me I had not heard this level of SQ in a device this small yet it sounds so analog to listen to it becomes smooth and fluid with great clarity and space it makes listening to music enjoyable and fun like the old days of listening to vinyl on Hi-Fi as the Hugo makes it feel detached from the analytical fault finding of the weakest link in the performance of the recording or equipment we all tend to do to justify making that move onto the next thing you mentioned.  

Also I have heard these now with quite a few different sources and headphones and they sound great with anything i have heard and headphones and earphones scale well with the Hugo feeding them. 

That's just my personal experience I had with the Hugo and welcome anything that is this portable and flexible that can match it for SQ.  It is not quite perfect maybe if you do have heavy to drive cans in 600 ohm region to their full potential but that is why the TT Hugo is here for if you are serious with that heavy load type of cans.  I will move onto something else for sure... when the Hugo II comes out! - as it will be a while before anyone can match this natural free flowing sounding dac with a good head amp in a package this small. 

Or just ask the studio engineers who are now using it for mastering sessions now ; )

Honestly though, if you can try and get to listen to one if possible as no matter how good something is which by demographic for Hugo is anything to go by is another story: anyway everyone might love Coca Cola for example, but does not mean you will...

I love Coca Cola.

Thanks very helpful. Perhaps I can make the Cambridge meet and try it there.

The Hugo would also replace a Rega Dac I have into a Valve amplifier into speakers. You mention speakers, what does your Hugo sound like going into your home HIFI and into speakers ?

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9,592 of 15,694
Heard they had made the mini plug more accessible but even having a new unit, my edition 8 won't fit and my esw11ltd that was recabled whn I bought it(sadly) both don't fit. I use a 1/4 inch plug adapter over half the time I use my hugo and it sticks way out...

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #9,593 of 15,694
Thanks very helpful. Perhaps I can make the Cambridge meet and try it there.

The Hugo would also replace a Rega Dac I have into a Valve amplifier into speakers. You mention speakers, what does your Hugo sound like going into your home HIFI and into speakers ?

I'm using the Hugo primarily as my source in a Hifi set up - (Classe cap2100 amp, B&W CM10 floor standers and a REL s/3 sub) - in short it sounds glorious! You really get a sense of how 'open' is open sound with proper speakers. The sound fills the room and there's literally meters of separation between instruments, simply amazing.

Just for the record I have a pair of HD700 to use with the Hugo in a mobile set up, and it sounds great, but I guess I prefer speakers... :wink:

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #9,594 of 15,694
Just for the record I have a pair of HD700 to use with the Hugo in a mobile set up, and it sounds great, but I guess I prefer speakers... :wink:
Have you tried using either the crossfeed on the Hugo or binaural recordings? (the latter makes much more of a difference than the former to me!)

FWIW, using a necro pair of headphones, am impressed with the Hugos ability to both tame, and in turn drive the Sony SA5K...

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #9,595 of 15,694
If any body interested, here is my black Hugo with leather case on sale:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754013/fs-chord-hugo-black-and-original-black-leather-case

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #9,597 of 15,694
Feb 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #9,598 of 15,694
Why do you sell it?
What do you use instead of the hugo?

Don't want to sell actually. I need some cash. Hugo made me sell my prev DAC Hegel HD25. That is how good it is.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #9,600 of 15,694
was listening to some of opus 3 label recordings through Hugo as source via coaxial input. after listening to so many audiophile labels like Telarc, mfsl, chesky, Linn, water lily, rca redseal, reference recordings, pentatone, JVC xrcd and many more , I found that opus 3 conveys the best imaging. only Hugo could deliver such realism. great !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back