Chord Hugo
Feb 5, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #9,571 of 15,692
I need to find a micro to micro to use this with my phone's spotify app; this is for my bed-side on my night-stand.

Anybody know if there will be an audible difference, when limited to Spotify's 320 kbps, between connecting via bluetooth or through the phone's micro-usb?

I imagine I won't get an input delay via line-out? Bluetooth gives me a 2 second delay, which does not matter for music alone, but makes Netflix not viable.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #9,572 of 15,692
I got a Hugo last week and I am finding it every bit as good as everyone says, but I am having a problem with it. I am experiencing a loud hissing noise that comes on sometimes.

These are the things I have observed:

1.  It does not come on all the time, but when it does it is a constant volume.
  2.  I do have Shure 846 earphones, but the noise I am talking about is *not* the small hissing noise everyone is talking about in connection with the 846 (I know this and it does not bother me). 
  3.  My problem is a lot louder hissing noise that is also audible with Etymotic ER4S (low sensitivity / high impedance).
  4.  When I switch the hugo on, the noise is not there, but when I start playing music through an input  - so far coax (and USB SD/HD I think - not sure whether both USB - haven't tried the other inputs), all is well for about 5 seconds, then I can hear the noise "turn on" - i.e. it just starts and then sometimes it won't go away even if I switch everything off and remove all cables and then turn back on.
  5.  Once the noise starts, changing sources won't make it go away.
  6.  If I leave the hugo turned off for a while and then turn back on, I get no noise, but the noise is started again by putting music through an input. (Not sure I have enough occurrences of this one to be sure though.)

I did do a search of this thread the other day and I found something similar but it seemed to have no follow up, and now I can't find the post again!

Any ideas? Faulty unit? Something I am doing wrong? I am expecting it to be a faulty unit, but I am posting this here to see if it is something known and easily stopped somehow. If not, I will get a replacement.

Apart from this, when it plays OK it is very very good indeed, and it is a good feeling to have that kind of super high quality sound available wherever I go.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #9,574 of 15,692
I got a Hugo last week and I am finding it every bit as good as everyone says, but I am having a problem with it. I am experiencing a loud hissing noise that comes on sometimes.

These are the things I have observed:

•  It does not come on all the time, but when it does it is a constant volume.
  •  I do have Shure 846 earphones, but the noise I am talking about is *not* the small hissing noise everyone is talking about in connection with the 846 (I know this and it does not bother me). 
  •  My problem is a lot louder hissing noise that is also audible with Etymotic ER4S (low sensitivity / high impedance).
  •  When I switch the hugo on, the noise is not there, but when I start playing music through an input  - so far coax (and USB SD/HD I think - not sure whether both USB - haven't tried the other inputs), all is well for about 5 seconds, then I can hear the noise "turn on" - i.e. it just starts and then sometimes it won't go away even if I switch everything off and remove all cables and then turn back on.
  •  Once the noise starts, changing sources won't make it go away.
  •  If I leave the hugo turned off for a while and then turn back on, I get no noise, but the noise is started again by putting music through an input. (Not sure I have enough occurrences of this one to be sure though.)

I did do a search of this thread the other day and I found something similar but it seemed to have no follow up, and now I can't find the post again!

Any ideas? Faulty unit? Something I am doing wrong? I am expecting it to be a faulty unit, but I am posting this here to see if it is something known and easily stopped somehow. If not, I will get a replacement.

Apart from this, when it plays OK it is very very good indeed, and it is a good feeling to have that kind of super high quality sound available wherever I go.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Try different sources, if it continues, looking like defect. It should just work properly, easy peazy like. Someone with more tech experience chime in. I'd talk to retailer/ distributer as well.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #9,575 of 15,692
Can I ask another question, for USB line, does Hugo uses it own power or does it use the USB power?  I tend to get noisy USB with my PC, so hopefully Hugo with its battery powered DAC doesn't use the USB powered lines.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #9,576 of 15,692
Can I ask another question, for USB line, does Hugo uses it own power or does it use the USB power?  I tend to get noisy USB with my PC, so hopefully Hugo with its battery powered DAC doesn't use the USB powered lines.

No usb is not powerd. There should be no noise in through the chord, regardless.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #9,577 of 15,692
I need to find a micro to micro to use this with my phone's spotify app; this is for my bed-side on my night-stand.

Anybody know if there will be an audible difference, when limited to Spotify's 320 kbps, between connecting via bluetooth or through the phone's micro-usb?

I imagine I won't get an input delay via line-out? Bluetooth gives me a 2 second delay, which does not matter for music alone, but makes Netflix not viable.
Look in the box you should find an OTG type that will work. If you have lost it ask chords distributor for a replacement if youd prefer an aftermarket type make sure it's OTG too.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #9,578 of 15,692
Just found the given micro-to-micro otg cable you mentioned . I didn't realize there were 2 different cables wrapped together. I had only seen the USB-B end and thought it was B-to-microB for the PC.

OTG means there are no pins to transfer power?

A normal cable with those pins still works right?

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #9,579 of 15,692
For those new to this thread, keep in mind that although the Hugo does not use the 5V USB power from the cable (coming from the computer, often dirty), it still needs that power to wake up the USB receiver (asleep to save battery until needed) and keep it awake (even though the power to the USB receiver comes from the internal battery).  So, you can't use powerless USB cables (nor the non-powered half of a dual conduit one).  Rest assured that this design, although requiring that 5V for wake up, does not use the dirty 5V and is a clever way to keep that dirty power further from the signal path..

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #9,581 of 15,692
  what kind of noise can come from an usb?

Glad you asked - we're talking electrical 'noise' and the folks at iFi believe they have it covered. FWIW, I have iUSBPower, Gemini cable and the iPurifier but you need a USB-B-to-micro adapter to use that lot with the Hugo unless you have a USB-SPDIF converter and you're prepared to use coaxial in on the Hugo.  

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusbpower/

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #9,582 of 15,692
  what kind of noise can come from an usb?

Well, since there is no real "good" noise...it is bad noise.  :)

USB receivers in DACs are powered by the 5V that either come from internal power OR, in many cases, relies on the 5V that courses through a USB cable (aka USB bus-powered).  iFi and others make various fixes for bus-powered devices, since unchecked that 5V coming down the cable is dirty power generated by the computer motherboard.  I own iFi stuff and find their iUSB power (a better, cleaner 5V supply that sits between a cable from the computer and a cable to the DAC) a very good fix for quieting the signal path (I reviewed it in the short-lived HPSoundings ezine).  So are dual conduit USB cables (allows either separate power or at least keeps the power leg far from the signal leg) and other fixes.  Hugo's fix is to use their battery internally, but only when needed; hence the use of a small resistor that sees the cable's 5V and wakes up the battery section.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #9,585 of 15,692
The Hugo has tempted me for sometime and I have read a fair amount of this thread and appreciate the Hugo uses its proprietary technology.

I realise this is a hobby where people think they have a great sounding piece of equipment and then they move to something else.

So to help me make my choice:

For those who still have a Hugo, why do you ?

And for those who did buy one, why do you not have one now ?

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back