Chord Hugo
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #8,986 of 15,694
For the rca coax i use cardas and vermouth cable for now. And the optical cable i use the stock that came in the package (ugly one
biggrin.gif
) But very soon i am gonna use chord premade cables. And that will be the digital coax cable / mini to 2xrca / and the optical cable. All by chords.

chord electronics will be making/selling digital coax and optical cables for use with the Hugo?  if so, that's great news.

when will these cables be available?  am definitely interested... 

cheers.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #8,987 of 15,694

chord electronics will be making/selling digital coax and optical cables for use with the Hugo?  if so, that's great news.

cheers.

I think Muzic might mean the other Chord which makes cables but is a completely separate company, links below to both, hth...

Chord Electronics (Hugo): http://chordelectronics.co.uk/

Chord Company (cables): http://www.chord.co.uk/

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #8,988 of 15,694

cheers.

They already available on the market for quite so long already. And they are not made exclusively for chord hugo. They are just the same with the other common digital interconnects with various lenghts of 0.5m/1m/1.5m etc but made by Chord. U can see it in their website. I really want the 0.5m in length. But in here, most of my local stores they only carry minimum lenght. Of 1m. So its too long actually. But its okay for me as i only use hugo as a home/transpotable gear. :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #8,989 of 15,694

What does the Cross feed actually do? It seems that the soundstage becomes significantly narrower based on what I'm hearing with the HD800. 

It's supposed to do the opposite of that, 'throwing' the music out there for a more 'out of the head' sound. I have found, many times, intended effects vary depending on gear (source, amps, headphones/earphones, etc) and material (16/24-bit, DSD, good/bad recording, etc). Sometimes, the variance is huge.

Incorrect. Crossfeed is designed for old recordings where individual instruments were placed, very often, entirely or mostly in either the left channel or the right. In some cases this was to "fake" the stereo image from mono tracks of individual instruments. With headphones some people don't like the sound this way, so crossfeed bleeds some of each channel into the other one to reduce this.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #8,990 of 15,694
I put Crossfeed in the same category as Equalization, namely a last resort if something is unlistenable. Both things I found somehow degrade the sound no matter how much I want them to work.
They seem to cure the problem, but add some level of distortion that just makes things sound off-kilter or vaguely unnatural to me.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #8,991 of 15,694
Incorrect. Crossfeed is designed for old recordings where individual instruments were placed, very often, entirely or mostly in either the left channel or the right. In some cases this was to "fake" the stereo image from mono tracks of individual instruments. With headphones some people don't like the sound this way, so crossfeed bleeds some of each channel into the other one to reduce this.

Ok, that would make more sense. Thanks, I'm going to go find some old stuff and try it out.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #8,992 of 15,694
I've been primarily using my Hugo as a standalone DAC in my home rig but yesterday decided to bring the little fella to work and wow, I forgot just how much synergy this guy has with the UERM's. Streaming TIDAL, and listening to the Hugo/UERM combo made for a very enjoyable, albeit somewhat unproductive day. Just too hard to focus on anything without getting lost in the music.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #8,993 of 15,694

You are correct. So is efftee when he/she said a more "out-of-head" sound. Insofar as the concept is concerned, crossfeed is meant to serve two purposes:

wikipedia:
"Crossfeed is the process of blending the left and right channels of a stereo audio recording. It is generally used to reduce the extreme channel separation often featured in early stereo recordings (e.g., where instruments are panned entirely on one side or the other), or to make audio played through headphones sound more natural, as when listening to a pair of external speakers." 

leckertonaudio:
"When we listen to a recording with headphones or earphones, the right ear gets only the right channel, and the left ear gets only the left channel. If a sound occurs only in the left channel, it's heard only in the left ear. The right ear gets nothing. This almost never occurs naturally due to a principle called diffraction. Diffraction is essentially the ability of a sound wave to bend around an obstacle. For example, when you are sitting in front of a stereo pair of loudspeakers, there may be no direct path from the left speaker to your right ear (because your head is in the way), but some of the sound from the left speaker is able to bend around your head and reach your right ear. The lower the frequency of the sound (compared to your head), the better it is able to diffract around your head. Really high frequency sounds mostly get absorbed by your head, but the low-frequency stuff just goes right around as if your head weren't there. As the sound is bending around your head to get to the opposite ear, it has to travel a longer distance, so there is also a slight delay of the sound to that opposite ear. Headphone crossfeed aims to simulate these three effects: diffraction, head absorption, and time delay. This is why it is sometimes referred to as an acoustic simulator. It simulates the acoustics of loudspeaker listening. Why use crossfeed? Quite simply, it can make headphone listening more natural and less fatiguing, especially over long periods of time. If you are sometimes bothered by that "inside-your-head" sound which headphones can give, crossfeed can reduce that."

Try it on the Hugo and decide if it works for both purposes.

Cheers.

(edited to attribute a quote correctly to efftee instead of ubs28. my bad, my apologies.)  

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #8,994 of 15,694
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #8,995 of 15,694
They already available on the market for quite so long already. And they are not made exclusively for chord hugo. They are just the same with the other common digital interconnects with various lenghts of 0.5m/1m/1.5m etc but made by Chord. U can see it in their website. I really want the 0.5m in length. But in here, most of my local stores they only carry minimum lenght. Of 1m. So its too long actually. But its okay for me as i only use hugo as a home/transpotable gear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, now I understand which cables you were referring to. Don't like cable-mess, so 0.5m cable sounds about right for me as well.
Please post your impression of your new cables after you have listened to them. Might just influence me to get some as well, who knows..

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #8,996 of 15,694
  I've been primarily using my Hugo as a standalone DAC in my home rig but yesterday decided to bring the little fella to work and wow, I forgot just how much synergy this guy has with the UERM's. Streaming TIDAL, and listening to the Hugo/UERM combo made for a very enjoyable, albeit somewhat unproductive day. Just too hard to focus on anything without getting lost in the music.

Yes. What you mention is the fundamental fun attribute of the Hugo.

Quite a few professional reviews have poked fun at the "Take it wherever Hugo" tagline.  

But, this is truly where it's at - the Hugo is a highly mobile DAC that is designed to travel with you. Wherever you take it (and you should take it wherever), you can look forward to pretty good sound when you whip it out and plug in.

Some people prefer to listen to higher-end and (usually) more expensive DAC systems. Those usually belong at home.

That said, one could really look hardcore plugging in a Vega or Devialet at the nearest Starbucks.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #8,999 of 15,694
Hi all, a proud owner of the Hugo.  A very revealing DAC for both headphones and my full stereo!

I purchased the Hugo primarily for my home audio, only to realise its so great to take with for all my trips and its not staying settled.  Now I'm looking for another desktop DAC AND a new pair of headphones.

I've tried various headphones, HD800, TH900, LCD-2 and HE6.  The Hugo seems to struggle with the HE6 but the rest is fine.  The TH900 seems to be a good match, any ideas of other headphones I should try?

Cheers,
Ray

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #9,000 of 15,694
  Hi all, a proud owner of the Hugo.  A very revealing DAC for both headphones and my full stereo!

I purchased the Hugo primarily for my home audio, only to realise its so great to take with for all my trips and its not staying settled.  Now I'm looking for another desktop DAC AND a new pair of headphones.

I've tried various headphones, HD800, TH900, LCD-2 and HE6.  The Hugo seems to struggle with the HE6 but the rest is fine.  The TH900 seems to be a good match, any ideas of other headphones I should try?

Cheers,
Ray

Perhaps the new Fostex TH500RP? It had a different sound from the TH900, wayyy different. It sounds warmer, silkier, has less bass impact, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back