Chord Hugo
Dec 6, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #9,001 of 15,694
  Hi all, a proud owner of the Hugo.  A very revealing DAC for both headphones and my full stereo!

I purchased the Hugo primarily for my home audio, only to realise its so great to take with for all my trips and its not staying settled.  Now I'm looking for another desktop DAC AND a new pair of headphones.

I've tried various headphones, HD800, TH900, LCD-2 and HE6.  The Hugo seems to struggle with the HE6 but the rest is fine.  The TH900 seems to be a good match, any ideas of other headphones I should try?

Cheers,
Ray

I agree that the TH900 is a great match, and that's what I use for most of my home listening. But I also like the HD800 and the UERM is awesome on the go. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #9,002 of 15,694
Hi, I've read bits and pieces here and there about the Vertere D-Fi USB cable and was wondering what's the difference between the D and Double-D, and whether it is going to make the Hugo even better (if that's possible)?

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #9,003 of 15,694
I have the Vertere DFi which is a single USB out into dual cable one for power one for signal terminated into a Micro USB for Hugo, it improved the sound over the stock cable nicely. or you could use the stock optical cable which sounds very good.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #9,004 of 15,694
FYI:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/chord-electronics-warranty-claims-22604/index2.html

This is the first such case I have "heard of".

Chord-E has responded responsibly, and is working on an amicable resolution.

Nevertheless, please be careful.

For the record, my unit plugs in fine, and continues to make music sound mighty fine indeed. Now going forward thinking it would be prudent to avoid the issue in the first place.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #9,005 of 15,694
Hi, I've read bits and pieces here and there about the Vertere D-Fi USB cable and was wondering what's the difference between the D and Double-D, and whether it is going to make the Hugo even better (if that's possible)?

The difference is the amount of wires. Hence the name. Since the Hugo does't consume any USB power the Double-D is not necessary. Nor does it improve the sound. The regular D is just fine and sounds pretty good contrary to its cheap look. :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #9,006 of 15,694
(...)  
I've tried various headphones, HD800, TH900, LCD-2 and HE6.  The Hugo seems to struggle with the HE6 but the rest is fine.  The TH900 seems to be a good match, any ideas of other headphones I should try?

Cheers,
Ray

I run in line out mode to a Ray Samuels SR-71B from my Hugo and can drive my Audeze LCD-3s no problem.  I understand the HE6 is quite power hungry, but the SR-71B will drive it.  Something to think about.  I'm thrilled with mine, and it is ultra silent, even when driving IEMs.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #9,007 of 15,694
Level3... he posted this problem in the 'portable' Hugo thread as well... if you are familiar with this thread you will know that Chord have dealt with any customer-service issue amicably & promptly and always to the customers satisfaction.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #9,008 of 15,694
I have the Vertere DFi which is a single USB out into dual cable one for power one for signal terminated into a Micro USB for Hugo, it improved the sound over the stock cable nicely. or you could use the stock optical cable which sounds very good.

The difference is the amount of wires. Hence the name. Since the Hugo does't consume any USB power the Double-D is not necessary. Nor does it improve the sound. The regular D is just fine and sounds pretty good contrary to its cheap look. :)

Hi, thanks for the responses, guys. So if I wanted the cable to also charge a device, I'll need the Double-D then. The 2 wires, do they end in 1 or 2 Micro jacks, ie 1 USB A to 1 or 2 USB Micro, 1 for data and 1 for power or both wires into 1 Micro jack? I'm unable to find any pictures anywhere.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #9,009 of 15,694
The issue should be that companies should be held accountable just a bit better. There is no reason why a device shouldn't be warrantied if it is sold. If it breaks due to the manufacturer, they should be held accountable. It's beyond my comprehension as to how me selling my brand new unit to another consumer equates to loss of warranty.

That's so true. It begs the question whether manufacturers warrant the product or the owner? The warranty is given to ensure something is not defective and operates within the specifications of the device. What has that got to do with who the owner is?!

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #9,010 of 15,694
Thanks for the suggestions.  I am finding Hugo plus my phone and a full headphone a little unwieldy on the go, adding another amp onto the mix would stop me bringing anything at all.

I've also made up my mind to get a closed can, I live in a noisy busy city and much prefer a little isolation.  The TH900 seems to be one of the best closed cans?  I heard the isolation department is not the best but I wouldn't want something huge and heavy like the LCD XC.  

Are there any competitors to the TH900 (closed cans) that I can try?  I'm lucky to be in a city where I can demo almost any headphones in a single place, and with the multiple output of the Hugo its great for a A/B test.

Cheers,
Ray

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #9,011 of 15,694
Hi, thanks for the responses, guys. So if I wanted the cable to also charge a device, I'll need the Double-D then. The 2 wires, do they end in 1 or 2 Micro jacks, ie 1 USB A to 1 or 2 USB Micro, 1 for data and 1 for power or both wires into 1 Micro jack? I'm unable to find any pictures anywhere.

Nah  - the single wire version does have power - just the Hugo doesn't draw any.  The Double-D (separating the signal path from Power) terminates in single B, Micro or mini.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #9,012 of 15,694
Mine has the Micro USB running into the HD USB input.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #9,013 of 15,694
Hi isquirrel,

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe you have tried Hugo with Audiophilleo as well. Which one do you prefer Hugo via Audiophilleo or Hugo via Vertere D-Fi USB cable?

Thanks

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #9,014 of 15,694
  Hi isquirrel,

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe you have tried Hugo with Audiophilleo as well. Which one do you prefer Hugo via Audiophilleo or Hugo via Vertere D-Fi USB cable?

Thanks

You are quite correct, actually Currawong put me onto the AP/Hugo combination. He was right, my experience was that it lifted the Hugo's performance to the magical level. However and I caution on this, it is an expensive route to go for the performance increase, which is perhaps 5-10%, what I couldn't quantify and its a subjective thing is that I found the AP1 & PP combo had a sound signature that was subtle but I ended up really liking. it was creamy smooth, I am an analog guy so that's my thing.

For sensible budget constraints taking into account the cost of the Hugo and that the AP1SE & PP combo is the same cost as the Hugo, which really doesn't make economic sense I would recommend using the stock optical cable over USB. I preferred it over all (even to the DFi) by a small margin as it was smoother.

I ended up using the AP1 & PP on the QBD where it scaled nicely.

Hope that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back