Chord Hugo
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #8,882 of 15,694
SleepyOne, have you tried the Olimex USB ISO with your noisy PC? For 16/24 it works extremely well. I followed the recommendation of Rob Watts and couldn'd be more pleased. I use it between my noisy Synology NAS and Hugo.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #8,883 of 15,694
Nov 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #8,884 of 15,694
Using my HD800 (possibly the most revealing headphone around?), I compared the Chord Hugo against the Lehmann Black Cube Linear partnered with the Halide DAC HD, both fed by the same iMac playing lossless audio.

First impressions are that it's very difficult to distinguish, they both sound amazing. 

Bearing in mind, the DAC HD is fairly inexpensive at around £360, but benefits from a recommend amp partner for the HD800, the Lehmann BCL. I thought the Hugo would be significantly better, but to me it is not. 

Has anyone compared the Hugo to amp / DAC combinations? Some say the Hugo is unbeatable as a DAC, not not always as a headphone amp. 

Also tried the Hugo with the BCL on volume bypass doesn't seem much different to the aforementioned. 

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #8,885 of 15,694
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #8,886 of 15,694
I just received a black Hugo from Moon Audio.

Right now, I'm using HD USB in and Fostex TH900 with Silver Dragon V3 out and comparing the setup to Schiit Uber Bifrost / Lyr 2 Combination with HiFiMan HE-560. The problem is there is no comparison. The Chord Hugo and Fostex combination is better than anything I've ever used for my audio collection.

I've tried out FLAC 192/24 files of Black Sabbath, Cream, Metallica, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, Cream, Fun, American Authors, Arianna Grande, Jesse J, Dave Brubeck, Dusty Springfield and on and on. I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music for a 64 year old man. No matter what type of music, the Chord Hugo is absolutely incredible.

My only complaint? I wish it wasn't so small and portable because this is my desktop amp as of right now. Also, I think the cables that come with the Hugo pretty much suck.

Since I am doing the Ambassador thing with Moon Audio, I should point out to any naysayers that Drew did not recommend the Hugo to me. His wife did, proving there is a good woman behind every man
beyersmile.png

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #8,887 of 15,694

Right now, I'm using HD USB in and Fostex TH900 with Silver Dragon V3 out and comparing the setup to Schiit Uber Bifrost / Lyr 2 Combination with HiFiMan HE-560. The problem is there is no comparison. The Chord Hugo and Fostex combination is better than anything I've ever used for my audio collection.

I've tried out FLAC 192/24 files of Black Sabbath, Cream, Metallica, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, Cream, Fun, American Authors, Arianna Grande, Jesse J, Dave Brubeck, Dusty Springfield and on and on. I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music for a 64 year old man. No matter what type of music, the Chord Hugo is absolutely incredible.

My only complaint? I wish it wasn't so small and portable because this is my desktop amp as of right now. Also, I think the cables that come with the Hugo pretty much suck.

Since I am doing the Ambassador thing with Moon Audio, I should point out to any naysayers that Drew did not recommend the Hugo to me. His wife did, proving there is a good woman behind every man :beyersmile:  
mrfcpa, great right up and congratulations. BTW I'm 58 and isn't it funny how much audio gear has changed, as in shrunk, and gotten almost mind blowingly better. Marantz receivers and TEAC 4-track reel to reel tape recorders, remember those?

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #8,888 of 15,694
Hi all,
I'm going to use the Hugo as a desktop DAC. I'm thinking of buying the Luxman p700u amp. I've been tols the Hugo would give me better performance than the Luxman $5000. DAC at half the price. What are your experiences with high end desktop headphone amps and Hugo vs more expensive DAC's. I have AKG 812 and HD 600 cans.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #8,889 of 15,694

Has anyone compared the Hugo to amp / DAC combinations? Some say the Hugo is unbeatable as a DAC, not not always as a headphone amp. 

Also tried the Hugo with the BCL on volume bypass doesn't seem much different to the aforementioned. 

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Should read Rob's comment on this where he says Hugo DAC and amp is one of the same.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #8,890 of 15,694

Since I am doing the Ambassador thing with Moon Audio, I should point out to any naysayers that Drew did not recommend the Hugo to me. His wife did, proving there is a good woman behind every man
beyersmile.png

cannot disagree with your opening statement, three rock albums that definitely got my attention were Led-Zep's Celebration Day, Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East & Gov't Mule's The Deepest End... another revelation is old soul music the Hugo gives the genre required warmth with a extra dash of detail, yummy.

err behind every good man is a ignorant cat... my experience
wink_face.gif

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #8,891 of 15,694
Can you please help me out on this one?
I have a Chord Hugo, which i enjoy very much as dac/amp and pre amp for my desktop speakers all at the same time.
Having also an Oppo PM-1, I feel that there is more potential with this can, I am not able to reveal so far. So to say satisfied, but not extremly happy, somehow I feel I can do better, much better.
I am using a Pc with Jriver MC 19 as transport linked to the hugo with a spdif cable.
Is there a better way to improve the oppo with an external amp and use the Hugo as a dac only or ist there a better headphone match to the Hugo itself? i am listening  to a lot of Classic rock from some 30-40 years ago, ripped in wav on my SS hard drive.
I missing basically better instrument seperation, Transperancy and a tangible soundstage..
Wish to solve this issue but do not know where to start..

Thank you for your tips.
Ron

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #8,892 of 15,694
Regrettably, I am old enough to remember things like the TEAC recorder and the Revox reel-to-real. Heck, I even remember owning a pair of AR-LSTs (speakers) which everyone thought was the end all to end all. I guess everyone was wrong :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #8,893 of 15,694
Except I was comparing it against my own Quad Elite CDP (own DAC), my own Audiolab M-DAC, a friend's Naim CD5 XS and his standalone DAC (a Musical Fideltiy M6).  Now, none of these machines are complete slouches when it comes to CD quality playback - qutie the opposite.  But the Chord QuteHD was street's ahead in presenting a coherent reconstruction of the sound available.  There was a sea change in bass presentation with an accuracy that you can get from the best vinyl, a correctness in tonal balance too.  .  It left all the others in the shade.  I can only go on what I heard. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #8,894 of 15,694
Please help me with this.
So, I've been through websites and threads but I could not find a clue about this.
How is the Hugo charged? Through USB? I went to Chord's website but it says it does not draw power via USB and I have not been able to find what it gets power from.
Is it charged via an ACadapter? another USB input? This has been driving me crazy:p Thanks for the answers.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #8,895 of 15,694
  Please help me with this.
So, I've been through websites and threads but I could not find a clue about this.
How is the Hugo charged? Through USB? I went to Chord's website but it says it does not draw power via USB and I have not been able to find what it gets power from.
Is it charged via an ACadapter? another USB input? This has been driving me crazy:p Thanks for the answers.

Via a wall-wart. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back