Chord Hugo
Oct 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #8,431 of 15,694
Do any of you guys mind comparing the Hugo's sound to the AK240's? I was going to buy the AK240 then my friend told me about the Hugo. At the moment, I really can't decide which one to go for. thanks.

You need a transport with the Hugo. If you want to save money over AK240 plus Hugo then try the Sony Nwz-zx1 and Hugo combination.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #8,436 of 15,694
I am another victim of the weak usb connector(as a portable user I have to plug in/out lots of times), even worse, I bought this from online as it was out of stock in north america, and they removed the S/N sticker (hate to send back for repair as it might take months), so not sure how can I get the warranty (I think this may be common to earlier adopters due to stock issue)

Right now I fixed myself, just wish it never happen again, hopefully Chord still can take care of this in the future.

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #8,437 of 15,694
Wow - seeing that makes me happy I use the coax connector, even if the 'Gen 1' case means it's not a perfect fit for my Monster cable. Still boggles my mind that a device intended - presumably - for portable/transportable use seems to have undergone so little ergonomic testing prior to release, but the form factor means the Hugo could easily be hidden, even mounted underneath a desk and 'forgotten' if used in fixed output mode into a dedicated amp. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #8,438 of 15,694

The Hugo is better IMO -- more "3D" in its sound, but when I fly I take the AK240 as it is much more convenient and almost as good.

One of the things I loved so much about the AK240 when I tried it was the massive soundstage. Do you think the Hugo has one that is as good (or better) ?

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #8,439 of 15,694
You need a transport with the Hugo. If you want to save money over AK240 plus Hugo then try the Sony Nwz-zx1 and Hugo combination.

I was actually thinking DX90 or the new Fiio X7(coming soon) but I guess I forgot about Sony.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #8,440 of 15,694
Its different product category. If you were going to buy AK240 for portability, then Hugo may not be so portable as you will still need a transport.
Also if planning to use full over ear headphones, AK240 may not be able to drive them.

Sounds wise, you need to listen for yourself to see what you prefer.

I see a lot of people find them good match for eachother, me included so AK240 gonna piggy ride my Hugo soon.
biggrin.gif

I envy u :)
Unfortunately, I'm living in Korea and there's no place to try the Hugo although the AK240 is everywhere here lol.
For a HD650, AK240s good enough right?

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #8,441 of 15,694
Please forgive me if this has been covered already - there are hundreds of pages to skip through. My "problem" is this: 

My Hugo sounds great when connected via optical cable to my AK120. However, this setup will not play files with a sample rate over 44kHz. 
Conversely, my Hugo sounds good, though not great, when connected via the Camera Connection Kit to my iPhone. With the Onkyo App, I can play all my high resolution files.

In both cases I have no idea where the weak link is; player, cable or Hugo. 

Can anyone suggest either a way to play higher resolution files via my AK120, or a cable/App that will enable a better sound from my iPhone.

Many thanks.

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #8,442 of 15,694
I have a AK120 and I play 24/192 with no problems using the supplied optical cable. I had some problems getting this to work when I first got my Hugo. The problem was that I didn´t insert the optical cable deep enough into the Hugo. The optical cable makes a distinkt click when it´s inserted correctly. Also the mini-plug must be deeply insertet to the AK120 as well.

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #8,443 of 15,694
Ak120 optical is inconsistent. For me nothing over 24/96 work using the hugo supplied cable and i don't feel like spending more money anymore.

DX90 worked with the ibasso supplied cable.

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #8,445 of 15,694
  Sorry if it´s already answered, but the Hugo could drive properly the HD800?

Thank you

In terms of volume, absolutely. In terms of it's ability to bring out the best in these very demanding headphones, I'm afraid the answer is no. The Taurus is the only amp I own with the ability to do that, although many claim you need a tube amp to tame the HD800 treble - I've got mine hooked up to the Taurus as I type this and I'm not experiencing any issues with the treble. Source is the Marantz SA-14S1 and it's onboard headphone amp is whole lot 'spikier' with classical SACDs than the Taurus, at least at this early stage in the burn-in process. FWIW, I dont have any issues with the way the Hugo drives the HD800 - in the absence of the Taurus I'm sure I could live with it - it just doesnt present them in their best light. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back