Chord Hugo
Mar 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #887 of 15,694
rudi0504,

I hadn't realised that you only need one coax cable to connect the Hugo, as I mistakenly thought that it would be a 2 into 1 cable, i.e. one RCA plug from the source (typically via headphone out) into two RCA plugs, one for the left channel and one for the right. Great news about the coax sounding best, must try it for myself.

Thanks very much for the invaluable information. :beerchug:

Today I have tried Hugo with coax cable :

Source : iBasso HDP R10
Dac / Amp : chord Hugo
Headphone : LCD 3
Cable : ibasso HDP r10 > cord Hugo use coax cable about 100 USD from Kimber

Sound quality :
High : more detail and extended than use another connector like USB , optical cable , Bluetooth
I heard cymbal more presence
Mid : more natural and neutral
Bass : more weight and body , the best bass impact compare to other connector I have tried
Separation : the best separation compare to the other connectors
Soundstage : I feel more 3 D and grand

Overall : with coax sound quality from Hugo is the best and very grand like desktop dac amp > follow by USB > optical cable > Bluetooth is
Good because of noise , with android Bluetooth sound quality is better than IDevices.

IMO

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #888 of 15,694
rudi0504 said:
with android Bluetooth sound quality is better than IDevices.

This is predictable, given most Androids now have Apt-X and iOS doesn't.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #889 of 15,694
News from the USB cable front...

I just received an Audioquest Cinnamon USB A to micro USB cable (one of the few cables with a micro USB option). The micro USB end does not fit into the recessed micro USB slots! This is a pain even though I am REALLY enjoying the Hugo so far.

I am totally OK with not every cable working with such a compact device but still the micro USB connector is not exactly bulky.  It might be time for Chord to offer some recommendations.

I think I will give the UK Verterre (sp?) cable a try instead. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #891 of 15,694
News from the USB cable front...

I just received an Audioquest Cinnamon USB A to micro USB cable (one of the few cables with a micro USB option). The micro USB end does not fit into the recessed micro USB slots! This is a pain even though I am REALLY enjoying the Hugo so far.

I am totally OK with not every cable working with such a compact device but still the micro USB connector is not exactly bulky.  It might be time for Chord to offer some recommendations.

I think I will give the UK Verterre (sp?) cable a try instead. 

@smial1966 has the Vertere D-Fi USB to Micro USB and a Hugo, so I guess he could confirm.
I have just the cable and not the Hugo.. 6 more weeks of waiting.. so I can't confirm.. yet.. :wink:

Edit:
You could try to slice off the edges on the plug with a carpet knife or something?
I guess that you won't have to take that much off to make it fit?

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #892 of 15,694
It does look like the carpet knife mod suggested on the micro usb end could work...I just don't want to mess with it!
Custom Cable was quick to verify that the Vertere cable fits securely. I will be ordering.

Nice support considering the UK to West Coast time difference

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #894 of 15,694
Overall : with coax sound quality from Hugo is the best and very grand like desktop dac amp > follow by USB > optical cable > Bluetooth is
Good because of noise , with android Bluetooth sound quality is better than IDevices.

I agree, the Hugo sounds best with the coax input. A good usb/spdif converter doesn't hurt.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #895 of 15,694
I just received it and have not had time to try it. I can only try on my computer as I do not have the ZX1 cable yet and not sure how to connect my 901. I suppose I need to use the 901 proprietary line out can, but then I need to get a usb female to micro usb male cable.

2ih9shz.jpg

Congrats Mike for your new Hugo :beerchug:

If your HM 901 has coax out like my HDP R 10 please use it , lax is the best SQ you can get from Hugo .
Or optical out

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #896 of 15,694
rudi0504,

I hadn't realised that you only need one coax cable to connect the Hugo, as I mistakenly thought that it would be a 2 into 1 cable, i.e. one RCA plug from the source (typically via headphone out) into two RCA plugs, one for the left channel and one for the right. Great news about the coax sounding best, must try it for myself.

Thanks very much for the invaluable information. :beerchug:

Hi Smial1966

RCA I the Hugo is line out for connection to another amp / home amp

Coax on Hugo is line in , you can connect your dap / CD player as transport via coax line out .

From my experience in home audio , the best sounding cable as follow :

AES EBU : the best SQ > COAX / SPDiF > USB > optical >Bluetooth

IMO

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #897 of 15,694

I agree, the Hugo sounds best with the coax input. A good usb/spdif converter doesn't hurt.

In my experience Hugo sounded excellent on it's own usb input, and i've used a stock usb cable from my phone. The usb input is very good.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #900 of 15,694
In my experience Hugo sounded excellent on it's own usb input, and i've used a stock usb cable from my phone. The usb input is very good.

Please try it with all what Hugo can do like USB , coax , optical and Bluetooth .
The best is coax > USB > optical > Bluetooth
Overall Hugo SQ is incredible

Note : if Hugo has big hole for home coax or RCA and I can use my Shunyata coax and RCA
I believe SQ would be must better on portable Dac / Amp, so far already the best dac / amp

IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back