Chord Hugo
Mar 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #767 of 15,694
I usually prefer a preamp in the signal path compared to source with volume control though...

If that's because of the extra oomph the pre-amp adds before sending the signal to the power amps then the Hugo shouldn't need it if it can drive speakers by itself.  If it's an impedance matching thing then I guess it would still be trial or error.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #768 of 15,694
This is a very sad day, I was hoping that someone would fault the Hugo so I can move on & save money. But then Mr Rudi came out with all these wonderful posts & pictures with Master CIEM maker smiling away with Hugo, I can't help but gave up the will power to resist..

Very sad day on my mind , but deep inside, the heart is secretly very happy
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #769 of 15,694
Regarding the potentially problematic RCA connections - so far I've used Signal Cable Analog Two and NuForce Focused Field interconnects with no trouble. The enclosure doesn't have much room, and it sure looks like it won't fit... but both of those models are fine. Based on that I'd say lots of interconnects should fit, though certainly not all.

I'll have to test my CableDyne Reference Silver to see if that works. I suspect it may not, but we'll see. I can understand why Chord might want to revisit this aspect, but rest assured it is not the end of the world even with the original design. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #770 of 15,694
Micro USB to Micro USB, short, has anyone found any quality connectors of this type, and in right angle? 

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #771 of 15,694
Not yet. I did have an email exchange with audioquest on this topic. They made the point that USB cables have an A and a B end. Apparently micro usb is typicall at the B end of the cable. So, their existing Cinnamon cable is available with USB A on on the source end and micro USB on the DAC end. Similarly, AQ is coming out with a USB A to Lighting cable but no Lightining to micro usb. I guess there needs to be an intermediate hub for the gender change.

Just to set a baseline in comparison to the stock cable, I ordered the Cinammon USB to micro usb cable. About $65 US so my performance expectations are modest.
The Vertere cable from the UK looks promising as well but still does not solve the micro usb to micro us or lighting challenge

Confirmation from others more in the know on cables would be appreciated. I'm just establishing a place to start, then see if I hear the difference.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #772 of 15,694
Make your own I guess but I know there are some high end cables coming up. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #773 of 15,694
i have problem also with the rca jack with hugo, now after my friend modiifed my rca shell it fit hugo properly.
here is the pic before it cant fit without removing the shell
now it's fit

after modi

fied shell

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #775 of 15,694
I finally heard it today and am very impressed by the sq. Tested with shure 846, LCD XC and hd800 and the this is definitely a full size desktop sound quality. I still can't believe I am hearing from a portable device. If this was a blind test today, I would have been fooled into thinking its s a full size separate dac and amp combo. Due to my usual weakness, I bought it today and now have to wait 4 weeks for the new chassis. I heard that the power button will stick out more so we don't have to dig it with our nails.

May review it in 4 weeks.. Special thanks to master CIEM maker smiling at the Hugo, his approval meant a lot to me. - thanks rudi for the pictures, that pic was the final kill for me. Cheers..

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #777 of 15,694
Not yet. I did have an email exchange with audioquest on this topic. They made the point that USB cables have an A and a B end. Apparently micro usb is typicall at the B end of the cable. So, their existing Cinnamon cable is available with USB A on on the source end and micro USB on the DAC end. Similarly, AQ is coming out with a USB A to Lighting cable but no Lightining to micro usb. I guess there needs to be an intermediate hub for the gender change.

Just to set a baseline in comparison to the stock cable, I ordered the Cinammon USB to micro usb cable. About $65 US so my performance expectations are modest.
The Vertere cable from the UK looks promising as well but still does not solve the micro usb to micro us or lighting challenge

Confirmation from others more in the know on cables would be appreciated. I'm just establishing a place to start, then see if I hear the difference.

It has to do with USB standards. By USB standard, one side is host (provide power) and one side is target (receive power). Also part of standard is that the connectors are designed so you can't mistakenly plug in cable incorrectly. As such, the host side is always terminated with standard USB A connector. The target side can not use the USB A connector as it is reserved for host side, but can use basically all the other USB connector types (B, mini, micro, etc) as target. As such you will never see two host connectors (ie.A to A) or with two target connectors (all the other connectors to any other connector but A).

With the OTG USB standard extension, it allowed all sorts of USB connectors to connect to each other. The OTG standard allows this as the OTG standard requires some type of negotiation between the devices as to which device is host and which is target. Since OTG is so new in its adoption, there are very few cables made for it yet as OTG devices are only recently making it to market.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #778 of 15,694
It has to do with USB standards. By USB standard, one side is host (provide power) and one side is target (receive power). Also part of standard is that the connectors are designed so you can't mistakenly plug in cable incorrectly. As such, the host side is always terminated with standard USB A connector. The target side can not use the USB A connector as it is reserved for host side, but can use basically all the other USB connector types (B, mini, micro, etc) as target. As such you will never see two host connectors (ie.A to A) or with two target connectors (all the other connectors to any other connector but A).

With the OTG USB standard extension, it allowed all sorts of USB connectors to connect to each other. The OTG standard allows this as the OTG standard requires some type of negotiation between the devices as to which device is host and which is target. Since OTG is so new in its adoption, there are very few cables made for it yet as OTG devices are only recently making it to market.

There are several places that'll make them with whatever your desired connections are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back