Chord Hugo
Mar 4, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #782 of 15,694
You're likely to open up a huge can of worms with this contentious topic, suffice to say that I think investing in a better USB cable is a worthwhile upgrade, though the sonic improvement is subtle and not glaringly obvious. So I guess that if you're after that last 5% of performance then change the stock cable, if not, just enjoy your music and be happy.  

Quote:
Is the stock usb a to micro really bad? I am using it at home now

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #784 of 15,694
To night i have tried Hugo via rca line out to My another portable Amps

Source : Sony MDR ZX 1
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo as DAC
Amps : Mass Ko Bo 395
Wagnus Eosilon S
Headphone : LCD XC

Cable :
ZX 1 To Chord Hugo : Sony Lod to USB > USB to micro USB
Chord Hugo rca line out to Wagnus : rca interconnect With adapter rca to mini2'mini

My impresion :

With Mass Ko Bo 395 :
has No synergy , sound quality is not better than Chord Hugo Amp

With Wagnus :
Synergy very Good , it is better than With Hugo Amp Section
Sound quality like desktop amp

IMO

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #785 of 15,694
To night i have tried Hugo via rca line out to My another portable Amps

Source : Sony MDR ZX 1
Dac / Amp : Chord Hugo as DAC
Amps : Mass Ko Bo 395
Wagnus Eosilon S
Headphone : LCD XC

Cable :
ZX 1 To Chord Hugo : Sony Lod to USB > USB to micro USB
Chord Hugo rca line out to Wagnus : rca interconnect With adapter rca to mini2'mini

My impresion :

With Mass Ko Bo 395 :
has No synergy , sound quality is not better than Chord Hugo Amp

With Wagnus :
Synergy very Good , it is better than With Hugo Amp Section
Sound quality like desktop amp

IMO

rudi, how is the battery life of the zx1 when using it as a transport ? 

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #790 of 15,694
Assuming a perfect digital transfer then the cable used should theoretically make no difference to the sound quality, or so I thought until a friend persuaded me to borrow his Audioquest USB to temporarily replace my generic cable, as the sonic improvement was immediate and palpable. I have no idea why changing USB cables was sonically beneficial but I do trust my hearing!

There is something I do not understand here: as we are still in a digital phase,.i.e. transfering bits, data, the cable should play no role as long as you are using the correct cable. How would material or quality affect anything?

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #791 of 15,694
Assuming a perfect digital transfer then the cable used should theoretically make no difference to the sound quality, or so I thought until a friend persuaded me to borrow his Audioquest USB to replace my generic cable, as the sonic improvement was palpable.
I trust you I just have no idea why. And lack the technical knowledge to understand why too :D

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #792 of 15,694
The best explanation that makes sense to me has to do with the quality of the conducting material i.e. the metal purity of wire used and the extent to which the cable sleeving has shielding to reject extraneous noise/RF interference.

I trust you I just have no idea why. And lack the technical knowledge to understand why too :D

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #793 of 15,694
The best explanation that makes sense to me has to do with the quality of the conducting material i.e. the metal purity of wire used and the extent to which the cable sleeving has shielding to reject extraneous noise/RF interference.
Ok I will try a nicer cable if I find one for my 901 and ZX1.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #795 of 15,694
Incidentally, Hi-Fi Critic magazine did a USB group test last year and they broadly found that cable construction was more important to sound quality than price. As I recollect that a Supra cable (£30 approx) was subjectively rated higher than far more expensive offerings from other manufacturers.

Ok I will try a nicer cable if I find one for my 901 and ZX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back