Chord Hugo
Mar 3, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #754 of 15,694

So I figured I'd give it a go....  I quickly discovered that trying to shoe-horn speaker cables into an rca phono socket wasn't going to work, so I cut the end off some patch leads instead and attached the bare wires to a pair of old Dynaudio Contour 1.3................

Nice!  True 8ohm, 90db + speakers would give the Hugo an easier time probably and provide more headroom.

Is that unusual volume control easy to operate or a little fiddly- and is it possible to accidentally go to max volume?

Could be hooked up directly to active speakers too, but you would need good control of the volume control to make that a practical proposition.  Is it possible to select variable output on the RCA outs?

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #755 of 15,694
I was told 2 weeks 3 days ago.

I was told 2 weeks 2 days ago. By 2 different dealers.

So to recap, on Saturday I had one dealer telling me that there was a "Mk3" version of the Hugo coming, which was quickly refuted on here by another dealer. Now we find out on Monday that the lead time has doubled. 

I had some quality time with the Hugo over the weekend, and have placed an order. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #756 of 15,694

Nice!  True 8ohm, 90db + speakers would give the Hugo an easier time probably and provide more headroom.

Is that unusual volume control easy to operate or a little fiddly- and is it possible to accidentally go to max volume?

Could be hooked up directly to active speakers too, but you would need good control of the volume control to make that a practical proposition.  Is it possible to select variable output on the RCA outs?

The RCA outputs and headphone output are all connected internally, so it's the equivalent of feeding your speakers from a really beefy preamp output and skipping the power amp.  I've now got some 3m interconnects, so I'll cut the ends off those and see what the BX1s sound like.

The volume control is easy to use and you won't max it out by accident unless you're really drunk, but if it resets to max volume when switched on (I've only turned it off once since getting it, so I can't remember if it does that) then you may need to be careful.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #757 of 15,694

The RCA outputs and headphone output are all connected internally, so it's the equivalent of feeding your speakers from a really beefy preamp output and skipping the power amp.  I've now got some 3m interconnects, so I'll cut the ends off those and see what the BX1s sound like.

The volume control is easy to use and you won't max it out by accident unless you're really drunk, but if it resets to max volume when switched on (I've only turned it off once since getting it, so I can't remember if it does that) then you may need to be careful.

Look forward to your further findings.  Resetting to max volume everytime you switch on- I hope not!
tongue_smile.gif

Kind of wish they had incorporated a high quality bass EQ- I mean the subtle variety as utilised by JDS Labs and Neco in their Soundlab V4.  Bass frequencies get diminished outside even with good isolation. I would take that over Crossfeed.  It's no big deal though...)0

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #758 of 15,694

Look forward to your further findings.

The BX1s are up and running, and it's working very nicely indeed.  I think the Topping TP20mk2 with AQ cables had a little more bass, but I'll give the new interconnects some time to run in and see what happens.  I'm running with the volume set to green as I do for my HD800s and at the moment I can't see me bothering to put the Topping back into the loop.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #762 of 15,694
Suyama-san mentioned Hugo on his facebook but I dont know what he wrote in Japaness. Hope he will make a new ciem to pair with Hugo. Haha

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #763 of 15,694

Yes, exactly.  The Hugo can drive speakers as though it was an integrated amplifier, so long as you use the right connectors.

Gotcha.  Got confused when you mentioned using an i/c but obviously you pimped that to connect to passive speakers.

I usually prefer a preamp in the signal path compared to source with volume control though...

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #765 of 15,694
Suyama-san mentioned Hugo on his facebook but I dont know what he wrote in Japaness. Hope he will make a new ciem to pair with Hugo. Haha

MH 335 DW Studio Reference is his New top of The line
Sound quality incredible With Chord Hugo

My source was :

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Blue tooth

iPad Air 128 GB via lightning to USB > USB to micro USB

File music : 100 % WAV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back