Chord Hugo
Mar 2, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #14,746 of 15,692
  thanks hooster regarding rob's comments no net current draw from battery:

trickle charging i understand energy in = energy out. so my question;

if i start with a fully charged hugo then play and charge for 5-8 hours am i right in saying that due to trickle charging the battery depletion will be extremely small. so in this case i would not need to charge hugo again when i finish listening so i would just plug into charger and continue the next time i want to use it?

would the loss be minimal even if used on high volume for 8 hours say as an example?

also if the battery loss is minimal or zero even how many times could you repeat the cycle of listening whilst charging without charging afterwards for next use(assuming you started with a near full battery)// how many of these cycles just described until you have to charge hugo properly using the charger.

i hope that makes sense. cheers mk

Why would you unplug your Hugo from the charger when you are not using it? Constant plugging in and unplugging will just wear out your cables. 

If you insist on only having your Hugo connected to a charger when you are listening, and having it unplugged at other times, then I think that should be quite sufficient to keep the Hugo charged. If not it will let you know.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #14,747 of 15,692
thanks hooster,

im constantly in and out of my flat sometimes a 10 minute visit to a friend can end up being 10 hours. i just personally dont like the idea of leaving the hugo constantly plugged in like some people dont like leaving their dacs on 24/7. do you have any idea how many cycles just described till i need to do a proper charge. chord say net current in = net current out if you start with a fully charged hugo then play and charge. does that mean i would never have to charge hugo if used like this. im auditioning a hugo at midday tomorrow hoping to buy but i need to clear this up first.i would turn charger off at wall no unplugging cables. many thanks mk.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #14,748 of 15,692
  thanks hooster,

i would turn charger off at wall no unplugging cables. many thanks mk.

I think in that would be perfectly fine. I am not sure if you will ever have to charge the Hugo if you use it like you propose. If the Hugo is running out of juice it will let you know. 

From the manual:
"The charge status is indicated by a colour changing LED under the lens, blue being fully charged and will change to green and red as the batteries discharge. When there is no power left, the light will flash red and the output will mute. If the batteries are run down completely then Hugo must be switched off then the AC power adapter reconnected. Leave Hugo for at least 30 minutes to recharge before switching back on. Please ONLY use the power adapter supplied. Using a non-genuine power adapter may void your warranty."

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #14,750 of 15,692
Chord clearly states that only their own charger should be used on the hugo. however on their very own website it talks about 3rd party chargers supplying 2A also being ok. im completely confused can anyone help. finally are chord extra chargers available for purchase in the UK.

Yes they are. I emailed Chord's help line and they sold me one.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #14,751 of 15,692
As long as you turn it off when you're not using it, it should stop charging once it's full and you can leave it plugged in with no downside. (Assuming the Hugo works the same way as the Mojo in this respect.)

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #14,752 of 15,692
thanks alchemist,

what i mean is after using hugo in the manner described (playing and charging starting with a 100% battery so in theory no battery loss but in practice a very small battery loss) then i turn hugo off and disconnect from charger/// how many cycles can i use hugo like this till i have to do a proper charge. (ie roughly how many of these very small battery drains would add up so that i have to do a real charge.)

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #14,753 of 15,692
  thanks alchemist,

what i mean is after using hugo in the manner described (playing and charging starting with a 100% battery so in theory no battery loss but in practice a very small battery loss) then i turn hugo off and disconnect from charger/// how many cycles can i use hugo like this till i have to do a proper charge. (ie roughly how many of these very small battery drains would add up so that i have to do a real charge.)

I know that's what you were trying to figure out, but what I'm saying is, there's no real reason to disconnect the charger.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #14,755 of 15,692
I know that's what you were trying to figure out, but what I'm saying is, there's no real reason to disconnect the charger.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The question being asked is irrelevant because in practice you would leave the charger plugged in.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #14,756 of 15,692
2017 HEADFI'ER CHORD HUGO MINI REPORT.

After my obsessive bantering yesterday to do with concerns about charging what in effect would be my main piece of hifi equipment, today was the day to test. In the UK the weather was agreeably wet and armed with a rucksack containing a macbook air 512gb ssd early 2014, and a beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm headphones with suitable cables I set off on my first appointment of the day, to an equally agreeable high end hifi showroom where i had previously arranged to audition a Canadian Moon by Sim Audio 230HAD headphone amp/dac and its British equivalent the Naim v1. The journey started in 2012 whilst in student digs as an undergraduate unable to use speakers at night due to noise levels, and the disruption this might cause others auditioning for their finals, so in i went with a Akg550 and excellent entry level yulong u100. Last September i moved up to an Earmax pro tube amp in conjunction with a schitt modi multibit dac and an industrial intona. Still not satisfied I sold those pieces in favour of exploring the big boy dac avenue, curious to see just how  much detail can plausibly be retrieved by the targeted interaction of electrons on pcb's , flip flops, fpga's or whatever the latest thing is.

Fed by my entry level Beyers which till today have not been matched in comfort for me anyway...after being offered the complimentary glass of water and an invitation into the demo room while still operating on 3 hours sleep, such is the life of a mature postgrad, I fed some Dire Straits latest trick into the Naim v1 and was instantly impressed by its smoothness and fluidity, and effortless handling of the 600 ohm headphones. The Canadian Moon would excel and improve on this by offering an altogether more powerful and attacking amp section. Both units were of impeccable build. Something was missing however. Even though they handled the Beyers like there was no tomorrow, on comparing my previous small modi system there was no real gain in the expansion of the 2D soundscape that i was trying to escape, by exploring entry level higher end gear. This meant a moon purchase would in effect cancel all the effort I had put in till this point. Don't get me wrong here...the moon was a very attractive proposition if for the fact that the ultracompact unit did everything needed for the blissful occupation of being able to just finally enjoy one's music and forget what was reproducing it. However the package left me feeling bored, as this seemed to be practicality over the sacred mental buzz which was lacking.

My next appointment involved jumping into a taxi and quickly rushing to the showroom where my hugo demonstration awaited me. As a sidenote I had dismissed the excellent schitt gunjnir multibit as I do not have the funds to upgrade my amp/headphones to balanced level. I'm a firm believer that this particular dac needs a balanced set up to enjoy it at its maximum level of performance. The Metrum Musette another excellent R2R dac comes in near the price of schitt 'gumby' and it is single ended, but reports constantly dismiss it as being second to 'gumby', so by logical deduction this too was written off my list. With delta sigma not really exciting me, and having only briefly listened to the excellent mojo I knew i was in for a treat with the hugo. it turned out to be more... a real real treat. Remember it has only been a few months since i entered this world of hi fidelity headphone microcosoms, the Akg550 /u100 combo being a buy and forget little thing. It did rock though.

After eventually hooking up the hugo to my macbook air, and after being impressed by the solidity of its design (this was the first time i had seen one in reality..exciting stuff) was how dynamically and again effortlessly it drove my Beyers to high volume levels easily matching the two mains powered units i described earlier. It really makes you think about the product in a different light. Again a/b'ing Dire Straits latest trick (at this point it took me around 10-15 minutes to adjust and fully understand and appreciate what i was hearing with the hugo as compared to the moon/naim units which retail for £1500 so same as hugo) the saxophone became 3-dimensional in its representation. The room seemed to fade away. With Yo Yo Ma on cello i felt a lump in my throat, the breathing, the plucking of the cello's strings. At this point with just me in the demo room the lights seemed to flicker even though they were not. WOW......WOW.....my concerns about how I was going to manage hugo's battery felt completely irrelevant at this point. I tried a very bass heavy track to see how hugo would perform. Boom boom pow by the excellent Black Eyed Peas. I was shocked. I actually heard some detail in the lyrics here I had never heard before, something subtle but nonetheless all too apparent and totally real-not placebo. Im always aware of the placebo-effect. At this point i was sold. For now at least my journey was over. Add an industrial intona and some really nice high end headphones when I can afford it and i've found a tool here that in conjunction with a high fidelity streaming service like Tidal, will become my gateway to a world of music just waiting to be discovered.

If there was one criticism of hugo, and this isn't really a flaw it's me being silly, I found if I turned the volume to maximum i.e.to the white light the 600 ohm Beyers became slightly mushy and distorted. This was beyond a deafening level so in practice you would never do this anyhow. (and we're talking 600 ohm cans here) At light blue the volume was fantastic and perfect on my Beyers completely smooth not a hint of nastiness.. If the moon had a slightly more powerful amplifier section, and I mean quite slight here the dac section was 2D as was the Naim v1 in this regard. The salesman told me alot of customers had exchanged their Naim v1's for the hugo so they had stopped selling the Naim v1 even though it is still very good. With the hugo 2 being beyond my means right now I placed a 50% deposit on the black hugo and in early April I have agreed to return to pay the balance and take hugo home!! At £1125 this is 300-400 pounds cheaper than elsewhere in the U.K. so a great deal to round off a lively, wet, tiring but highly rewarding Friday.  (NB Right now I can't see any reason why I would consider a non Chord dac in any future upgrade.The only serious and affordable alternative under £2000 I feel are the Schitt Multibit dacs. Funds allowing of course. This from a completely neutral perspective)

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #14,757 of 15,692
2017 HEADFI'ER CHORD HUGO MINI REPORT.

I found if I turned the volume to maximum i.e.to the white light the 600 ohm Beyers became slightly mushy and distorted. This was beyond a deafening level so in practice you would never do this anyhow. (and we're talking 600 ohm cans here) At light blue the volume was fantastic and perfect on my Beyers completely smooth not a hint of nastiness.. If the moon had a slightly more powerful amplifier section, and i mean quite slight here the dac section was 2D as was the Naim v1 in this regard. The salesman told me alot of customers had exchanged their Naim v1's for the hugo so they had stopped selling the Naim v1 even though it is still very good. With the hugo 2 being beyond my means right now I placed a 50% deposit on the black hugo and in early April I have agreed to return to pay the balance and take hugo home!! so a great deal to round off a lively, wet, tiring but highly rewarding Friday.

Visit the Naim forum. Many Owners of Naim systems post that they prefer the Hugo or 2Qute, to Naims own dacs.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #14,758 of 15,692
hi mike,

this is exactly what the dealer told me. he said they have even stopped selling naim v1 because customers just want to exchange for hugo's lol..  its a lovely unit Naim, beautiful design, powerful amp, but dac is 2D. Hugo feels like it moves you from head to feet.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #14,759 of 15,692
Update!!

The Canadian Hugo2 Review Tour thread is now a Canadian/U.S.A Tour thread, U.S.A. applicants welcome.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/837542/official-chord-hugo2-canadian-u-s-a-tour-thread

beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #14,760 of 15,692
@musickid, I have been using beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm with hugo for over two years and I have also exactly the same impression. I never needed to go beyond light blue to dark blue ( dark blue In case of some movies ) I use it with Lenovo i7 4th gen laptop with few jitterbugs and oyaide A class USB cable . I would say the ability 'to bring the listener to the venue ' of this combo is unmatched . the combo does not exaggerate anything, just everything extremely life like and real. any instrument be it sax, trumpet , piano , violin , bass , strings , percussions and cymbals are more real than any other dac I have heard .( I have not listened to Dave yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back