Chord Hugo
Dec 29, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #14,461 of 15,694
buyer guide, advice. a mojo or a hugo to drive my K10's? Only to be used at my desk. The Hugo is still far more detailed, Right? but the Mojo is more plug and play... 

In general I would say Hugo without doubts.
However consider that with both SE846 and K3003 iems I could hear a hiss when connected to the Hugo.
No problem with the MOJO.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #14,462 of 15,694
Hello...

Question for you guys.. I got an LG V20 Android Smart phone..  I use my chord hugo with it via APX bluetooth.. sounds good... however i would like to use it wired.

The LGV20 has USB type C.   How can i plug it directly to my hugo to avoid loosing quality via wireless?

whats the best way?  I cant seem to find a USB type c OTG cable for the hugo... 

thanks !

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #14,463 of 15,694
  Hello...

Question for you guys.. I got an LG V20 Android Smart phone..  I use my chord hugo with it via APX bluetooth.. sounds good... however i would like to use it wired.

The LGV20 has USB type C.   How can i plug it directly to my hugo to avoid loosing quality via wireless?

thanks !

Probably a good place to start is the Shanling M1 thread, which has many users happily using it with a Mojo.

Example post is http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd/1710#post_13081685

There are cheaper cables available if you search the thread, but anything that works for the Mojo should work with the Hugo. 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #14,464 of 15,694

Hello...

thanks !

Probably a good place to start is the Shanling M1 thread, which has many users happily using it with a Mojo.

Example post is http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd/1710#post_13081685

There are cheaper cables available if you search the thread, but anything that works for the Mojo should work with the Hugo. 
normal_smile .gif

There's also a couple of USB-C cables listed in the 'Cables and How to Connect' section of the Mojo thread (post#3), that Mimouille had been using successfully (Shanling M1 > Mojo)

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #14,465 of 15,694
1) Will a 2Qute give me exactly the same performance of a Hugo if we exclude the headphone amp section?
2) will the TT give me an improvement in SQ over the Hugo?

For desktop layout reasons I need to have a DAC with all the connectors on the back and not mixed as the Hugo does, and I definitely want to buy Chord again.

Thanks.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #14,466 of 15,694
Hello...

thanks !
Its out there but not as many as non c type connectors.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #14,467 of 15,694
1) Will a 2Qute give me exactly the same performance of a Hugo if we exclude the headphone amp section?

For desktop layout reasons I need to have a DAC with all the connectors on the back and not mixed as the Hugo does, and I definitely want to buy Chord again.

Thanks.

2) yes TT is an improvement plus it has balanced out xlr

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #14,468 of 15,694

Thanks.

TT is reported to be better sound quality. Some of the improvement can be because the TT usb inputs are galvanicly isolated.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #14,470 of 15,694

Thanks.

2). Unfortunately YES! Only as I can't afford, LOL. Read comparisons in my review linked below. But a greater authority and grip to the sound. More than I expected there to be.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #14,471 of 15,694
TT is reported to be better sound quality. Some of the improvement can be because the TT usb inputs are galvanicly isolated.

​This is what I would consider a weakness of the TT, it's subpar galvanic isolation and the need to feed 5Vbus to the DAC.  Best is separate galvanic isolation outside the DAC and no 5Vbus running to DAC.
TT has a more robust power supply and added features if that is needed for your system.  For about 1K more than a Hugo in cost it might be worth it (about the cost I figure to add a better power supply to a Hugo), I wouldn't pay more than that.  About 2K to 2.6K it can be had.

Not a big fan of 2Qute design.  It isn't worth it for the price.  Should be around Mojo price.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #14,472 of 15,694
Well then that would put Hugo at 1200 bucks max and mojo at 300 bucks max, TT at 2500 bucks. There sorted and all at the ratios of what suggested retail is now. However you would have to scour used prices and be very lucky.

Here are fr charts on why TT sounds as good as it does.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-hugo-tt-da-headphone-amplifier-measurements#3i87EaFzdQ3LC8zW.97

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #14,473 of 15,694
https://world.taobao.com/search/search.htm?_ksTS=1483212842700_29&spm=a21bp.7806943.20151106.1&search_type=0&_input_charset=utf-8&navigator=all&json=on&q=chord%20TT&cna=xVy%20EEC9GGgCAcm%2FKUXnkUZz&callback=__jsonp_cb&abtest=_AB-LR517-LR854-LR895-PR517-PR854-PR895Quote:
Well then that would put Hugo at 1200 bucks max and mojo at 300 bucks max, TT at 2500 bucks. There sorted and all at the ratios of what suggested retail is now. However you would have to scour used prices and be very lucky.

Here are fr charts on why TT sounds as good as it does.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-hugo-tt-da-headphone-amplifier-measurements#3i87EaFzdQ3LC8zW.97

​LOL, like Stereophile is a great resource, just another marketing tool. 

Here is TT for around 2600, NEW, above link.  I'm sure you could do better with used.
Hugo NEW - $1100  (Best choice with DIY galvanic power supply Rossi for about 1K as desktop or just fine with supplied batteries and Intona) (better used old no 5Vbus required)
Mojo NEW - $350 (get this for mobile only)
2Qute is a little less than Hugo NEW, not that I would pay that as my above posting indicates.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #14,474 of 15,694

​LOL, like Stereophile is a great resource, just another marketing tool. 

Here is TT for around 2600, NEW, above link.  I'm sure you could do better with used.
Hugo NEW - $1100  (Best choice with DIY galvanic power supply Rossi for about 1K as desktop or just fine with supplied batteries and Intona) (better used old no 5Vbus required)
Mojo NEW - $350 (get this for mobile only)
2Qute is a little less than Hugo NEW, not that I would pay that as my above posting indicates.

I rather buy it used than buy it from that site. It's asking for trouble since "normal shops" sell the Hugo TT close to $5000. If it is too good to be true, ......

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #14,475 of 15,694

I rather buy it used than buy it from that site. It's asking for trouble since "normal shops" sell the Hugo TT close to $5000. If it is too good to be true, ......

Guess you haven't discovered the power of the chargeback when wronged on CC purchase.  No risk, all assumed by the seller.  Either way, this gives a benchmark for used prices.  If you can find used with a much lower price or decent enough discount, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back