Chord Hugo
Dec 8, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #14,311 of 15,694

Works fine in Jriver using AISO on win10.

Don't think it sounds as good as SD, I don't really use it.

Well I can see the AISO driver in foobar, so I know the driver is installing fine.  But the hardware itself is not detecting.  I'm going to have a massive trouble shoot in the morning.  Frankly if it wasn't for the fact that I have a few HD albums I like, I would just leave it on SD input.  I've never heard such a spacious analogue sound, a great purchase. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #14,312 of 15,694
if you select chord asio output in foobar, you don't need hugo as a device. in fact with asio you can even disable hugo as a device. if even then hugo is not showing any sampling rate light , try installing hugo driver while hugo is attached to pc. hugo driver installs both asio and hugo as a device.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #14,313 of 15,694
if you select chord asio output in foobar, you don't need hugo as a device. in fact with asio you can even disable hugo as a device. if even then hugo is not showing any sampling rate light , try installing hugo driver while hugo is attached to pc. hugo driver installs both asio and hugo as a device.

Thanks rkt31.  Yeah the big issue is no sample lock on HD.  I tell ya it's like having the unruly HAL 9000 sitting on my desk.  I'm just hoping that the HD input isn't faulty, but that seems fairly unlikely.  I'm going to go through a long trouble shoot, from a cold restart with nothing else plugged in, all the way to a motherboard bios update if all else fails.  HAL won't get the better of me.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #14,316 of 15,694

Quote:

On Hugo: 100 ohm load, 127.18 milliwatts is the maximum power. On TT: 31 ohm load, 336.26 milliwatts. For both units that's the maximum power observed.

Thank you that makes sense, newbie question, ideally should you be looking to pair the TT with 31 Ohm load HP? If you look at just the numbers 336.26 miliwatts is not earth shattering, yet listeners say it is more than loud enough.

Are these specifications official? If they are then they maybe very conservative numbers on the safe side. 

Looking at these numbers:

Ohm mW
16 15,87
25 20,51
31 41,48
62 80,84
100 127,18
199 101,49
300 67,28
763 26,48

Why there is more output with higher harder to drive HPs? It does not make sense to me.

It's because the figures are nonsense.

Hugo actual output is:
Output power - 1KHz 1V sinewave both channels driven 0.1% distortion
  600 Ohms 35mW
  300 Ohms 70mW
  56 Ohms 320mW
  32 Ohms 600mW
  8 Ohms 720mW
Also Hugo TT share identical output stages, (except for increased bias current), same PSU voltage, same gain. So will deliver almost identical power for a given battery voltage.

Rob

Thanks, Rob! I have hoped that you would chime in.

BTW, it seems that the HiFiMan HE1000 (34 Ω) is the ideal partner for the Hugo, as it fits the sweet spot in terms of current supply.
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #14,317 of 15,694
though hugo has high quality digital volume control but using a high impedance headphones will allow hugo to operate with less digital attenuation that's why I use hugo and mojo with beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #14,318 of 15,694
though hugo has high quality digital volume control but using a high impedance headphones will allow hugo to operate with less digital attenuation that's why I use hugo and mojo with beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm.

The HE1000 has rather low sensitivity, so still needs light blue. But even with my Shure SE846 which needs pink most of the time the Hugo sounds stunning. 
smile.gif
(And my 66 year old ears hear no trace of hiss.)

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #14,319 of 15,694

I'm fine with that and it's alright – I can perfectly live with deviating preferences. But I strongly suspect you haven't even (seriously) tried equalizing them – my own equalizing adventures usually last as long as my crossover network tunings... (and since you haven't mentioned SonarWorks). So in my book you still have no idea what the Hugo is capable of – unless my allegation is wrong, in which case I apologize.

Hi JaZZ, can you please shed more light on SonarWorks? How does that work?

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #14,320 of 15,694
  Its because the figures are nonsense.

Hugo actual output is:
  600 Ohms 35mW
  300 Ohms 70mW
  56 Ohms 320mW
  32 Ohms 600mW
  8 Ohms 720mW
Also Hugo TT share identical output stages, (except for increased bias current), same PSU voltage, same gain. So will deliver almost identical power for a given battery voltage.

Rob

Thanks Rob, still 70mW @ 300 Ohms does not sound like a lot of power, Has it got enough juice to drive HPs which are rated higher than 300 Ohms and above, like HD800S as an example? What is accepted level of output from a Headphone AMP for a good listening experience? Does Hugo do things different to to your Headphones?

Do you recommend using an external amp with Hugo TT or just the Hugo?

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #14,321 of 15,694

I'm fine with that and it's alright – I can perfectly live with deviating preferences. But I strongly suspect you haven't even (seriously) tried equalizing them – my own equalizing adventures usually last as long as my crossover network tunings... (and since you haven't mentioned SonarWorks). So in my book you still have no idea what the Hugo is capable of – unless my allegation is wrong, in which case I apologize.

Hi JaZZ, can you please shed more light on SonarWorks? How does that work?

I'm not the right person to answer your question, but here's a useful link. Actually it's a software equalizer that can be loaded with preconfigured curves for a bunch of popular headphones.

Originally Posted by Here2rock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...still 70mW @ 300 Ohms does not sound like a lot of power, Has it got enough juice to drive HPs which are rated higher than 300 Ohms and above, like HD800S as an example?

Don't worry! The Hugo can play extremely loud with the HD 800 (which is in fact rather 450 Ω than 300 Ω). Even chesebert would confirm that.
wink.gif
The HD 800 may have a high impedance, but at the same time it is very efficient. Also read rkt31's post above!

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #14,322 of 15,694
The digital attenuation doesn't affect the sound in any way if it's outputting a low level signal or a very high one won't matter in turns of quality as with Robs design, the volume function is formed as an integral part of the noise shaper!! This is right at the heart of the Chord Dac so there is no bit attrition or any loss of data. This in marked contrast with virtually all other digital volume controls in the market so I'm not too surprised at your view on this matter.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #14,323 of 15,694

Hugo actual output is:
  600 Ohms 35mW
  300 Ohms 70mW
  56 Ohms 320mW
  32 Ohms 600mW
  8 Ohms 720mW

Rob

Thanks Rob, still 70mW @ 300 Ohms does not sound like a lot of power, Has it got enough juice to drive HPs which are rated higher than 300 Ohms and above, like HD800S as an example? What is accepted level of output from a Headphone AMP for a good listening experience? Does Hugo do things different to to your Headphones?

You do not need a lot of power for 300 ohm headphones. The HD800S will give 90dB SPL at 0.22v RMS; this means you will get 116 dB SPL from Hugo using HD800S; that is levels that will cause long term hearing loss, so yes it's plenty.

Unless the 'phones are crazily insensitive, I would not use an external amp - you will only lose transparency. Much of the supposed benefits of external amps is that it offers more distortion - and 2nd harmonic distortion thickens up the sound, making it sound phat with a bigger bass. Now if you prefer that then I won't argue - one's taste is personal. But it is not accurate.

I agree with Jazz - if you have 'phones that are too bright simply use some EQ. Better still is to purchase warmer headphones, such as the AQ nighthawks.

Rob

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #14,324 of 15,694

I would love you hear you feedback when you get it but it seems a serious mismatch to me.

I have them finally and the Focal Utopia + Chord Mojo is not a serious mismatch. It sounds pretty good. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #14,325 of 15,694

Hugo actual output is:
  600 Ohms 35mW
  300 Ohms 70mW
  56 Ohms 320mW
  32 Ohms 600mW
  8 Ohms 720mW

Rob

You do not need a lot of power for 300 ohm headphones. The HD800S will give 90dB SPL at 0.22v RMS; this means you will get 116 dB SPL from Hugo using HD800S; that is levels that will cause long term hearing loss, so yes it's plenty.

Unless the 'phones are crazily insensitive, I would not use an external amp - you will only lose transparency. Much of the supposed benefits of external amps is that it offers more distortion - and 2nd harmonic distortion thickens up the sound, making it sound phat with a bigger bass. Now if you prefer that then I won't argue - one's taste is personal. But it is not accurate.

I agree with Jazz - if you have 'phones that are too bright simply use some EQ. Better still is to purchase warmer headphones, such as the AQ nighthawks.

Rob

Thank Rob, much appreciated, I am going to audition the amp with Utopia. AQ Nighthawk seems to be your favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back