Chord Hugo
Apr 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,381 of 15,692

Only digital inputs are found on Hugo and we only get an analog outputs. No analog inputs whatsoever.

eek.gif

eek.gif

confused.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,382 of 15,692

Is there actually anypoint in doing all the initial pressing to get into bypass mode? 

From the Robert Watts interview: "Now the volume control - pressing the cross feed button at start-up does not eliminate the volume control, it only sets it up so that it has exactly the same gain as Qute. I added this so that I could do careful listening tests with Qute."

Can't remember where but someone commented that they got better results by reducing the volume slightly (to blue, IIRC)- but I think that was to a preamp for speaker use.  More 'range' on the preamps volume control and slightly better sound too

Thanks for pointing out this...

I will try to use my 47lab  preamp out to see. However, when I tried with my SS amp using the Hugo default vol level and off the speaker out (without any resistors) for HE-6, it still felt underpowered. However, I will try increase the vol from a preamp to see if I can yield better result than increasing the vol level of Hugo...

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,383 of 15,692
Your welcome Hugo boss, at least everyone gets to see what the new chassis is like now, listening to it in the garden with the Mrs, superb!

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,384 of 15,692
I don't care what chord says it sounds well better as you run it in, wasn't mega blown away when I first put it on but after less than an hour it's really opening up, trust me chord ain't any different from any other expensive electronics, it needs running in fact!

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,386 of 15,692
Your welcome Hugo boss, at least everyone gets to see what the new chassis is like now, listening to it in the garden with the Mrs, superb!

with what headphone are you using it ?   

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #1,388 of 15,692
I'm using sennheiser ie 800 and Mrs using the musical fidelity eb 33 which are amazing for 80 quid

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,390 of 15,692
Just using my I phone 5s with the hd usb and lightning cable resting on a audiophile base platform, simple but superb!

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,391 of 15,692

Thanks for pointing out this...

I will try to use my 47lab  preamp out to see. However, when I tried with my SS amp using the Hugo default vol level and off the speaker out (without any resistors) for HE-6, it still felt underpowered. However, I will try increase the vol from a preamp to see if I can yield better result than increasing the vol level of Hugo...

Well, I'm sure you are not the only one confused because Chord have a 'volume bypass' section in the manual, which they say you need to activate for standalone dac use.

Perhaps it should be retitled 'max gain' mode because there is never any bypassing going on.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,392 of 15,692
Glad to see you have finally got your Hugo. Now on warm up, I agree things sound better the more times you listen to Hugo. I have been listening to one since September, and I swear it sounds better now than then - it very much has the ability to surprise even 8 months on - I was listening to some castanets today, and the click was extraordinary - very sharp, and precisely focused. So is it Hugo breaking in, or my brain breaking in to Hugo, or is it that Hugo has the power to surprise like live music? I do not know - but I know that getting used to Hugo sound is not something that happens quickly, and it is something that you will find sounds better and better - but doing careful listening tests with old units and new units does not reveal a big difference in sound.

Another point in a posting earlier - it does not matter which source is selected, DoP will be decoded to DSD on all inputs.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,393 of 15,692
  Glad to see you have finally got your Hugo. Now on warm up, I agree things sound better the more times you listen to Hugo. I have been listening to one since September, and I swear it sounds better now than then - it very much has the ability to surprise even 8 months on - I was listening to some castanets today, and the click was extraordinary - very sharp, and precisely focused. So is it Hugo breaking in, or my brain breaking in to Hugo, or is it that Hugo has the power to surprise like live music? I do not know - but I know that getting used to Hugo sound is not something that happens quickly, and it is something that you will find sounds better and better - but doing careful listening tests with old units and new units does not reveal a big difference in sound.

Another point in a posting earlier - it does not matter which source is selected, DoP will be decoded to DSD on all inputs.

Welcome to the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back