Chord Hugo
Apr 1, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #1,352 of 15,691
  Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had A/B'd the Hugo vs the Auralic Vega?

I am in the market for a new Dac for my home system but would love it to also have the portability and headphone amp as a bonus to take on the road. It's also much cheaper =)

But sound is the number one thing to me, I can audition the Vega but don't have access to a hugo.

Any help would be most welcome!

I haven't done a back to back comparison of the hugo to the vega, but I have listened to both at different times and compared both to a Lavry DA11.  My memory is that the Vega has more detail but it was sliding into sounding a bit too analytical with the HD800. The Hugo sounded a bit more natural than the Vega, but think had a bit less detail. Pick your poison. Neither seemed like an across the board upgrade to my DA11 (though there were elements of each I liked better than the DA11).

To my ears, the Hugo is competitive against all of the <$1200 DACs I have heard.  There are likely DACs in the >$1200 which will be better than the Hugo, but they aren't portable, or from another perspective, something like a used DA10 can be found used for $500-600 which would be in the same SQ league as the Hugo saving lots of money which could go to other things.  Of course a DA10 doesn't do anything for your portable use.

To my ears, the Hugo is the best sounding portable DAC/headphone amp on the market today, but it's amplifier can't stand up against any of the higher quality desktop headphone amps, and you will likely find desktop DACs which are superior to the Hugo at it's price.

--Mark

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #1,353 of 15,691
When I went out searching for a Dac/amp to power my lcd-xc from my ak240 I was looking for power, clarity, clear separation and the most neutral sound. When my local dealer suggested I test out the Hugo I told him he was mad about the price for a portable and refused to demo it. Nearly bought the ALO rx mk3-b+ which was excellent but decided to read up abit on the Hugo. All the comments on this thread made me grumpily head back for a listen. My jaw literally dropped on the first track that I thought I was familiar to death. The Hugo imparted a magical emotion to the vocals that made it come alive and imparted life to the instruments as well. 1hr later I felt the Hugo was a magic box rather than a Dac/amp and the price is a small price to pay for magic that glows in a little small portable box.

Now the Hugo and my xcs are like 2 long lost lovers that sing magically together every night when they meet.

So jayboy76, you feed the HUGO with your AK240 ? 

- Is it true that then you can't anymore play native DSD from the AK240 ? (I understand that the DSD cannot be streamed-out through Optical). So, what happen if you play a DSD file AK240>HUGO>LCD XC ?  Is it converted to PCM or does it just don't play ? 

- Is there a real setp-up in SQ between  AK240>LCD XC  v/s  AK240>HUGO>LCD XC ?  How will you describe the difference ?  is it only a matter of available power ? 

thanks for your advices ...

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #1,354 of 15,691
I'll get my chord hugo this morning with new chassis so ill post some pics of the rca sockets as it seems to be a major issue in here

AHHH... this new chassis availability is really not clear !  some dealers tells me that they have it now, while others just told me that it will be in available from CHORS within 4 weeks !!!  how can we be sure it is the new chassis ?  Does the new ones have a different part # or a different serial N° serie ? 

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #1,355 of 15,691
Thanks Mark for the feedback.

I face a difficult decision =) My home system could use a boost in detail which was why I was considering the vega over the metrum hex.

But the Hugo sparked my interest also due to it being able to be used as a portable solution also.

Thanks again for the feedback

-Dave

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #1,357 of 15,691

Has someone tested :  Samsung  Note 3 + Chord HUGO ? any pics ? 

Today, with Android 4.4, do we still need UAPP to stream 24/96 bits out to an external DAC ? (I understood that Android 4.4 bring some flexibility for USB Audio)

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,360 of 15,691

so you mean only rca out white and red that changed? arghhh i need a bigger spdif hole also

Only one solution left :  
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #1,362 of 15,691
This is the new chassis, see the bigger gap between rca sockets

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,364 of 15,691
I haven't had chance yet, I'm gonna get it home now and have a play with it, Mrs wanted to go food shopping, pain in the backside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back