Chord Hugo
Apr 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,411 of 15,688
HUGO + Roxane  anyone ? 

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,412 of 15,688
Not Roxanne but I use JH13 freq and the combination is very impressive. I'm sure you won't be disappointed using the Hugo with the Roxanne's.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,414 of 15,688

I haven't done a back to back comparison of the hugo to the vega, but I have listened to both at different times and compared both to a Lavry DA11.  My memory is that the Vega has more detail but it was sliding into sounding a bit too analytical with the HD800. The Hugo sounded a bit more natural than the Vega, but think had a bit less detail. Pick your poison. Neither seemed like an across the board upgrade to my DA11 (though there were elements of each I liked better than the DA11).

To my ears, the Hugo is competitive against all of the <$1200 DACs I have heard.  There are likely DACs in the >$1200 which will be better than the Hugo, but they aren't portable, or from another perspective, something like a used DA10 can be found used for $500-600 which would be in the same SQ league as the Hugo saving lots of money which could go to other things.  Of course a DA10 doesn't do anything for your portable use.

To my ears, the Hugo is the best sounding portable DAC/headphone amp on the market today, but it's amplifier can't stand up against any of the higher quality desktop headphone amps, and you will likely find desktop DACs which are superior to the Hugo at it's price.

--Mark

I think most people already knew that the Hugo's amp, while excellent, was not quite at the level of higher quality desktop headamps.  Interesting though that you also find its DAC section no better than a Lavry DA10.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,415 of 15,688
Well my initial thouhts of the Hugo. The volume control wheel and on/off switch should definitely be redesigned in the future in my opinion.. the wheel is tight to turn but loosens at the ends of the volume level, that can be seen as a good or a bad thing but the positioning of it is in a bad location if you plan to stack it or lots of portable use, not bad if it's at a desk though.

Lots of electrical interference with ZX1 bluetooth > Hugo

3.5mm jacks are deeply recessed so no right angle jack will fit, had to use a 3.5mm to 6.5 adapter with my K10s.

Initial impressions so far through toslink and my computer:

Soundstage is very spacious and airy, it makes the voacls sound so smooth and amazing. The detail and separation is good. Bass has great control and impact, mids are sweat and detailed. The decay is really smooth, has a solid prescence but it isn't too slow or fast and just puts a smile on your face. I just can't get over how emotional the vocals are.

Really hard to decide whether it is worth it or not, keeps pulling me back.

The K10's won't fit the Hugo?!
My Hugo arrives next week, and I am about to order the K10's.. is the right angle plug standard, or have you asked Noble for it?
But the sound is good I understand from what you write? Worth it.. that always depends.. but do know anything better?

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,416 of 15,688

I think most people already knew that the Hugo's amp, while excellent, was not quite at the level of higher quality desktop headamps.  Interesting though that you also find its DAC section no better than a Lavry DA10.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am not sure I would call the amplifier excellent... I would call it pretty good for a portable amplifier.  I didn't do an A/B, nor could I have done a true A/B test, but I think the amplifier in the Headamp Pico Power drove the HD800 better than the amplifier integrated into the Hugo.

As to the DAC, I should maybe clarify myself.  Both the DA11 and the Hugo have a good DAC.  I would put them in the same league.  If you put ten people in a room and asked them to pick their favorite, I am not sure what the ratio would be. It would not surprise me if more than 50% preferred the Hugo, but I won't bet on it.  I didn't spend enough time with the Hugo to state definitively which I would prefer.  I lean toward the DA11, but that is what I have been listen to (or earlier the DA10) for 5+ years so it's like an old friend but if I spent multiple days with the Hugo I could imagine preferring it.  Given it's cost (and reviews)  I had hoped the Hugo would significantly better sounding that the DA11.  I didn't find this, hough there are los of great features which could easily justify the purchase if I really needed those features.

--Mark

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,419 of 15,688
Originally Posted by verber /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Given it's cost (and reviews)  I had hoped the Hugo would significantly better sounding that the DA11.  I didn't find this, hough there are los of great features which could easily justify the purchase if I really needed those features.

Yup
normal_smile .gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,422 of 15,688
Glad to see you have finally got your Hugo. Now on warm up, I agree things sound better the more times you listen to Hugo. I have been listening to one since September,

and I swear it sounds better now than then - it very much has the ability to surprise even 8 months on - I was listening to some castanets today, and the click was extraordinary - very sharp, and precisely focused. So is it Hugo breaking in, or my brain breaking in to Hugo, or is it that Hugo has the power to surprise like live music? I do not know - but I know that getting used to Hugo sound is not something that happens quickly, and it is something that you will find sounds better and better - but doing careful listening tests with old units and new units does not reveal a big difference in sound.

Another point in a posting earlier - it does not matter which source is selected, DoP will be decoded to DSD on all inputs.

Thanks Rob we are both really made up with the Hugo never thought I would get the Mrs into hifi but the Hugo has changed all that, must be a great feeling to be able to design a product that gets such high praise

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,424 of 15,688
Noble will again be partnering with Chord at the forthcoming Axpona Hi-Fi show in Chicago (25th-27th April)... we will have the sensational Hugo on demonstration... more updates nearer the event.

Link: http://www.axpona.com/

I will also be heralding news of future events at Munich (Germany) & Newport Beach (USA) soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back