Chord Hugo
Oct 23, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #12,316 of 15,694
Don't feel dispirited. Remember that the reasons that you bought the Hugo in the first place haven't changed , ie its sheer musicality and the delight you get when you play music through it :D

And you wouldn't have Hugo's airier sound, wider soundstage and I believe slightly extended top end. Mojo's very good but I think Hugo still has the edge for transparency.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #12,317 of 15,694
And you wouldn't have Hugo's airier sound, wider soundstage and I believe slightly extended top end. Mojo's very good but I think Hugo still has the edge for transparency.

+1
Fully agree.
I tested again the Mojo today and brought my Hugo to compare.
The difference is very clear to me!!
Be happy you own the Hugo, you are a lucky guy! Enjoy it!

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #12,318 of 15,694

Those opinions are good to hear. 

Thanks for validating my petty reactions. 
gs1000.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #12,319 of 15,694
To put it in perspective, we have only been advised of the similarities between the Mojo and the Hugo. The details of any differences are not being revealed as yet.
However the projected sales numbers are what drives the price point and we Hugo owners have paid a much higher R&D price per unit as the projected sales were so much lower. You could say that we have funded the development of the Mojo.
We were all happy to pay this and just because there is a new product does not stop us enjoying the fine qualities of the Hugo

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #12,320 of 15,694
I tried the Mojo yesterday at my local distributor. Its a nifty kit, and offers alot at its price point. At less than half the cost of the Hugo (more like a third of the hugo), it is certainly close in performance.

In terms of musicality and detail retrieval, while they are pretty even, the airiness, extension and soundstage of the hugo was SIGNIFICANTLY better. So to me (a hugo owner, so I may be/already am biased), I feel that while the Mojo is good, the Hugo has it beat.

I do think the Mojo will be a good addition to the Hugo's lineup, and for those considering the Hugo, but is unable to meet the price and mainly uses IEMs (like me), it is a good alternative. For those of us who have the Hugo though, the slight difference in presentation and huge difference in form factor may make it a good addition to what we already have.

Personally, I'm still considering getting the Mojo, but Canjam is just around the corner and I'm actually TRYING to save for it. The Mojo just put a spanner in my plans!

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #12,321 of 15,694
  I tried the Mojo yesterday at my local distributor. Its a nifty kit, and offers alot at its price point. At less than half the cost of the Hugo (more like a third of the hugo), it is certainly close in performance.

In terms of musicality and detail retrieval, while they are pretty even, the airiness, extension and soundstage of the hugo was SIGNIFICANTLY better. So to me (a hugo owner, so I may be/already am biased), I feel that while the Mojo is good, the Hugo has it beat.

I do think the Mojo will be a good addition to the Hugo's lineup, and for those considering the Hugo, but is unable to meet the price and mainly uses IEMs (like me), it is a good alternative. For those of us who have the Hugo though, the slight difference in presentation and huge difference in form factor may make it a good addition to what we already have.

Personally, I'm still considering getting the Mojo, but Canjam is just around the corner and I'm actually TRYING to save for it. The Mojo just put a spanner in my plans!

Just my 2 cents.

Just out of curiosity, as Hugo owner, what makes you consider buying the Mojo?

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #12,324 of 15,694
That size. Its now perfectly stackable with my phone or X3ii. Sure its still rather thick. But not overly so. I've attached a pic for comparison.

To me the size is not pocketable at all (I already commented this in the Mojo thread).
There is no way I'm going to stack the Mojo with my iPhone (ah, by the way, in flight mode to avoid interferences... and calls!!) and bring the pile around when commuting or even less so in bed!

My ideal solution for true portability would be very simple: my AK120 II with a Tidal/Spotify app and a 4G connection.

Mmmmh, maybe it's not that easy...

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #12,325 of 15,694

That size. Its now perfectly stackable with my phone or X3ii. Sure its still rather thick. But not overly so. I've attached a pic for comparison.

To me the size is not pocketable at all (I already commented this in the Mojo thread).
There is no way I'm going to stack the Mojo with my iPhone (ah, by the way, in flight mode to avoid interferences... and calls!!) and bring the pile around when commuting or even less so in bed!

My ideal solution for true portability would be very simple: my AK120 II with a Tidal/Spotify app and a 4G connection.

You make it sound like RF interference is being experienced by a majority of users, but that simply isn't the case. Lots of people using Mojo with phones, with no problems at all.

Just sayin'...

beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #12,326 of 15,694

You make it sound like RF interference is being experienced by a majority of users, but that simply isn't the case. Lots of people using Mojo with phones, with no problems at all.

Just sayin'...

beerchug.gif

Well I don't have any statistics but the official recommendation from Chord is to switch the phone to flight mode to avoid RF.
I read it somewhere in the Mojo thread.

Now, if the RF is limited to only a few cases fine, otherwise don't you think it's a big limitation for an AMP/DAC made to be used with smartphones?

And what kind of solution is to switch the phone to flight mode????
It's like saying that if it rains in your BMW the solution is to stay in your garage???!!!!

Seriously now, please!!!

Anyhow...
beerchug.gif
 let's see the feedback from the first users. 

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #12,327 of 15,694

Maybe consider the new Pionner and Onkyo Dap coming out next month. Both offer Astell and Kern performance but with the ability to use Tidal and Spotify.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #12,328 of 15,694
It's one thing to make a device compatible with smartphones (not just smartphones, of course, but also any DAP with D/O), but no DAC-Amp maker can 100% negate the fact that a smartphone is fundamentally a relatively powerful RF transmitter.

One can only try to minimise interference as much as reasonably possible. Circumventing the laws of physics isn't realistically viable.

I'd even venture to suggest that many a skilled designer-engineer of extravagantly-shielded, high-end, fullsize hi-fi components would turn a ghostly shade of pale-green at the prospect of their products being used with a smartphone lying directly on top of them...

But yes, we shall see how things pan out, as market penetration increases, over the coming weeks and months
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #12,329 of 15,694
well actually my vamp verza is made with six layers of anti interference pvc. Now i prefer hugo by a long shot, but i get almost 0 interference from vamp, i always turn off my phone if using hugo (airplane mode) or use a long usb to micro cable attached to my cck if using the phone as a stationary source. So its trade offs as always in design. I cant comment on mojo tho one way or another.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #12,330 of 15,694
Maybe consider the new Pionner and Onkyo Dap coming out next month. Both offer Astell and Kern performance but with the ability to use Tidal and Spotify.

You've heard the Onkyo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back