Chord Hugo
Jul 21, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #11,387 of 15,694
  It seems that you a source problem. Can you name the source you are using?

The Hugo amp is very capable. You should not have any bass problem with any phones impedance!

Hm, wouldn't the source technically be the Hugo itself? But I have it connected via USB to my Sony Vaio laptop (and I'm ashamed to say that I almost prefer the sound of the laptop directly powering my 'phones as compared to Hugo.
eek.gif
The Hugo sounds more detailed and spacier, but quite a bit hinner, brighter, less bassy to me -- at least that is the case with my Ultrasone Pro 900s, the Fostex jack doesn't fit into the Vaio's headphone out, so I haven't tried). Same with my Sony ZX-1, can't plug the Fostex in there, but from memory I think that I had the same impression with the Ultrasone. The highs on the Hugo just seem to somehow increase way more than the bass with high volumes.

I seem to remember, incidentally, that there were others that described that phenomenon (audionewbie and hykhleif come to mind), so I'm not sure it's not the Hugo. Perhaps it's just the fact that the synergy is not my thing. That damn treble is just sooo hot! And I don't mean that in a good way. It would be interesting if others could chime that have had a similar experience.

Edit: I'm just listening to some vinyl rips I made myself, and things actually improve a bit; the sound is warmer, fuller, a little darker, all in all a bit more to my liking. The lower end improves, but still I can't dispose of that overly upfront treble.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #11,388 of 15,694
What app are you using on your sony laptop? Does it have EQ?

Quote:

Hm, wouldn't the source technically be the Hugo itself? But I have it connected via USB to my Sony Vaio laptop (and I'm ashamed to say that I almost prefer the sound of the laptop directly powering my 'phones as compared to Hugo.
eek.gif
The Hugo sounds more detailed and spacier, but quite a bit hinner, brighter, less bassy to me -- at least that is the case with my Ultrasone Pro 900s, the Fostex jack doesn't fit into the Vaio's headphone out, so I haven't tried). Same with my Sony ZX-1, can't plug the Fostex in there, but from memory I think that I had the same impression with the Ultrasone. The highs on the Hugo just seem to somehow increase way more than the bass with high volumes.

I seem to remember, incidentally, that there were others that described that phenomenon (audionewbie and hykhleif come to mind), so I'm not sure it's not the Hugo. Perhaps it's just the fact that the synergy is not my thing. That damn treble is just sooo hot! And I don't mean that in a good way. It would be interesting if others could chime that have had a similar experience.

Edit: I'm just listening to some vinyl rips I made myself, and things actually improve a bit; the sound is warmer, fuller, a little darker, all in all a bit more to my liking. The lower end improves, but still I can't dispose of that overly upfront treble.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #11,389 of 15,694

I'm running Foobar2000 v1.3.8; correct me if I'm wrong, but would a software EQ not be rendered moot since the computer's amp/dac section is bypassed? Haven't really tried EQ'ing, but at least on the NW-ZX1 all EQ's (as well as the "Clear Bass" function, sadly), are disabled when using the Hugo.

As I'm something of a knob twiddler (sheesh, get your mind out of the gutter!) anyway, it would be nice to have a hardware device that would allow for some additional tonality adjustments.
I guess I could be happy if the Hugo just had two potis for bass/treble ...

Edit: Submitted too early

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #11,390 of 15,694
  I'm running Foobar2000 v1.3.8

So it would be easy to get the bass you want – with a good equalizer.

...correct me if I'm wrong, but would a software EQ not be rendered moot since the computer's amp/dac section is bypassed? Haven't really tried EQ'ing, but at least on the NW-ZX1 all EQ's (as well as the "Clear Bass" function, sadly), are disabled when using the Hugo.

USB and any other digital output will output the signal as provided by foobar, hence equalized.

As I'm something of a knob twiddler (sheesh, get your mind out of the gutter!) anyway, it would be nice to have a hardware device that would allow for some additional tonality adjustments. I guess I could be happy if the Hugo just had two potis for bass/treble ...

Count yourself lucky that nowadays tone controls can be done in the digital domain – without any signal-degrading analogue electronics components in the signal path!
smile.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #11,391 of 15,694
I have read some of the comments above. The Hugo is not about bass or treble frequency responses. 

The Hugo is probably the most transparent DAC on the planet (other than Hugo TT) and tells it like it is. If you don't like what you are hearing, well the problem is the recording, or your headphones.

Also the Hugo is all about musicality and musical flow, and it is hard to appreciate these qualities if you don't compare it to how live music sounds.

I would not advise you to sell your Hugo and be patient. Nowadays, unless I listen to my Hugo as a source, I just don't bother to listen to any music at all. I find all other sources just don't have that same flow and ease of listening.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #11,392 of 15,694
  USB and any other digital output will output the signal as provided by foobar, hence equalized.

Count yourself lucky that nowadays tone controls can be done in the digital domain – without any signal-degrading analogue electronics components in the signal path!
smile.gif

You're right about foobar, of course. I posted, shut down my computer and immediately realized this. Kind of a one-person, triple facepalm moment. Oh well, it was way past my bedtime. (I live in Europe.)
And you're probably right about the second part as well, although I'm not so sure if a little analogue signal-degrading (i.e. "warmth") might be just what the doctor ordered ...

I have read some of the comments above. The Hugo is not about bass or treble frequency responses. 

The Hugo is probably the most transparent DAC on the planet (other than Hugo TT) and tells it like it is. If you don't like what you are hearing, well the problem is the recording, or your headphones.

Also the Hugo is all about musicality and musical flow, and it is hard to appreciate these qualities if you don't compare it to how live music sounds.

I would not advise you to sell your Hugo and be patient. Nowadays, unless I listen to my Hugo as a source, I just don't bother to listen to any music at all. I find all other sources just don't have that same flow and ease of listening.

With all due respect, this is a discussion that I kind of hoped not to have to get into. I absolutely appreciate what the Hugo does in theory. In real life, however, I experience what I have described (I turn up the volume until my ears bleed looking for something I seem to lack the experience and the verbage to describe. Some kind of warmth maybe, a fullness, perhaps an analogue quality of some sort, an element of being overwhelmed perhaps. There is a chance that I'm just missing the "wow factor" that this device does not provide (and perhaps rightly so). I'm sorry, I really can't describe it any better, I just know that I will know it when I hear it.

It is a possibility that I will grow more accustomed to the sound I'm getting right now over time. However, I'm really just trying to spend some more money on gear here. I didn't know this kind of thing was frowned upon in this neck of the woods as well. Whatever happened to "sorry for your wallet"? I just want to spend some money, goddammit!
biggrin.gif
Just view it as an experiment, assuming that I have a little time on my hands and would like to indulge my OCD.

All joking aside, I actually think this is an important point: I have somehow gotten it in my head that the Hugo is straining to give my the sheer POWER that I am after. I really need to have the feeling that my amp is infinitely more powerful than my headphones, that there is a bottomless pit of sound that I dive into and lose myself in when I fire my gear up. I cannot say how much of this is psychological. It would be interesting if I would hear the Hugo differently if it was a larger unit, but I somehow doubt it. The thing is, I need the transportability, because I work at home and move from my desk to the living room to the balcony to the garden all the time. So I need a monster, but one that follows me around willingly.

Perhaps it might help to put basic principles aside and be more specific. Has anyone ever added a Headstage Arrow, a VorzAmp Duo or a Digizoid Zo FS to the chain and not run away screaming? If so, I dare you to speak up.
ph34r.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #11,393 of 15,694
Perhaps some pictures to further illustrate my point:

If Hugo is this:

... or even this:

... then I might be looking for something more along the lines of this:

... or, well, even this:

And believe me, people, this is as shocking for me as it is for you.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #11,397 of 15,694
It's interesting how my tastes have changed as I have gone on in this hobby

I found the MDAC (sabre but well regarded at the time) harsh and bright so gravitated towards "darker" more "analogue" DAC. The Hugo came along and I got it for portable use but stick with my darker Metrum. But over time I have come to feel that sound was actually less accurate, less lifelike than the Hugo. Listening to classical music helped me realise this. So now the Hugo is my mainstay for all situations and 'phones.

It's a journey.

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #11,398 of 15,694
  All joking aside, I actually think this is an important point: I have somehow gotten it in my head that the Hugo is straining to give my the sheer POWER that I am after. I really need to have the feeling that my amp is infinitely more powerful than my headphones, that there is a bottomless pit of sound that I dive into and lose myself in when I fire my gear up. I cannot say how much of this is psychological. It would be interesting if I would hear the Hugo differently if it was a larger unit, but I somehow doubt it. The thing is, I need the transportability, because I work at home and move from my desk to the living room to the balcony to the garden all the time. So I need a monster, but one that follows me around willingly.
Perhaps it might help to put basic principles aside and be more specific. Has anyone ever added a Headstage Arrow, a VorzAmp Duo or a Digizoid Zo FS to the chain and not run away screaming? If so, I dare you to speak up.
ph34r.gif

Honestly, it would be a shame to get a Hugo just to get rid of its greatest strenght: accuracy. Particularly if you could get both at once: accuracy and meat – for free. The Hugo has a strong output stage, capable of driving most headphones with ease. The TH-900 with its 27 ohms is easy to drive, so in view of this the Hugo actually is «infinitely more powerful than your headphones», so to speak. Maybe it would already help to just power down the 6-9 kHz range by 2 or 3 dB to make the sound rounder, maybe additionally some of the upper treble. Or increase the bass to your liking. But please don't sacrifice the qualities of the Hugo if there's another way to approach your sonic ideals than downgrading the sound by means of lesser electronics!
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #11,399 of 15,694

ph34r.gif

You might want to research the ALO Continental Dual Mono (there's a new review on Headfonia).  A tube hybrid portable amp might give you the analog sound and power you're referring to.  I haven't used an amp with my Hugo (using HD600 and K10's), so I'm just throwing this out there.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back