Chord Hugo
Jul 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #11,416 of 15,694

Frank, is that with PC in JRiver?  If so, are you using any of the DSP effects?  Which we shouldn't have to.

Hi,

Yeah - using JRiver from a Windows 7 Pro laptop.  I don't have my configuration in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that I have the Chord ASIO selected.  Then under Device Settings, have DSD bitstream over DoP selected.  Under Settings -> Bitstreaming, have yes for DSD.  I don't believe that I have anything else set, though I may be forgetting something.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #11,417 of 15,694
in the old days (this is from the vault for us codgers) you only had to insert a CD & press play... progress is meant to make things easier...
wink_face.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #11,418 of 15,694

Hi,

Yeah - using JRiver from a Windows 7 Pro laptop.  I don't have my configuration in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that I have the Chord ASIO selected.  Then under Device Settings, have DSD bitstream over DoP selected.  Under Settings -> Bitstreaming, have yes for DSD.  I don't believe that I have anything else set, though I may be forgetting something.

I'm using those exact settings with the latest version of JRiver, DSD dropouts, infrequent but none the less distracting.  I even tried to reload the drivers from Chord.
Not a huge problem, WASAPI driver sounds great.  Let's see if a clean install of Windows 10 will solve this issue soon enough.

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #11,419 of 15,694
  Before you even consider dumping the Hugo, please try it with optical in from a good source. It is far superior to any USB implementation I have tried, unless you are using something like an Empirical Audio Off Ramp. The TH900 is match made in heaven for the Hugo, as it's efficient enough not to pray on the Hugo's only weakness (outright power in amp section). Seriously, try optical in with a good DSD recording and even something as lowly as the old AK100. The Hugo scales well with improving the source and I strongly suspect that is the cause. There was a World of difference between my notebook running Foobar or Jriver via USB, vs, optical in from AK or better still from my transport.

Thanks a bunch, Lorne, really appreciate that. Yes, I would very much like to try optical. Sadly, my only sources at the moment are my laptop and ZX1, both of which I can't really connect via optical (that I knew of). I'm buying a new laptop as soon as Windows 10 is out, but that probably won't change anything, and the ZX1 is going nowhere I love that thing so much I'd never even update to the ZX2.

Edit: Oh. My. God. I literally discovered this second that my laptop has an optical out.
eek.gif
Had this old thing for ages and never used that output (always jacked my cans directly into the headphone out). I hope it's at least some fun for you guys watching as the monkey is trying to walk upright. Well, at least I was right about the ZX1. Just checked to be sure ...
tongue.gif
Orange light flashing. I'm going in. Will report back. 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Everyone I know who have tried optical then tried coaxial afterwards prefers coaxial.

Not that I knew him, but I seem to remember Rob Watts at least prefers optical as well.

Wow, just got the Uptone Regen, hooked it up via Mobo USB from my PC JRiver Windows 7 (no optimization) with a Supra cable to the Regen and my Black Dragon micro from the Regen to the Hugo HD (will test the adaptors direct).  Big difference I am hearing, bass is far more noticeable, louder but defined.  I am hearing things in the low range that I never heard before.  I used to get some sibilance issues from my PC and it would fatigue me over time.  Now that is all gone.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #11,421 of 15,694
  Wow, just got the Uptone Regen, hooked it up via Mobo USB from my PC JRiver Windows 7 (no optimization) with a Supra cable to the Regen and my Black Dragon micro from the Regen to the Hugo HD (will test the adaptors direct).  Big difference I am hearing, bass is far more noticeable, louder but defined.  I am hearing things in the low range that I never heard before.  I used to get some sibilance issues from my PC and it would fatigue me over time.  Now that is all gone.  I notice I have to turn up the volume more now, blacker background.  If USB PC audio can sound this good with the Hugo, looking forward to more optimization of my digital chain.  Count me a believer now.  Bits are bits but electricity can be the damnation.
On further listening, with the Regen in the chain, there is a far better balance between lows (much more pronounced), mids (brought forward), highs (as is, less overwhelming).  All makes for a very nice balance.  Right now just playing a lot of familiar pop wave.  Will try out other genres as the night comes.

This is interesting to hear, I had a Concero HP that would have definitely benefitted from a device like this, but I thought the hugo wouldn't be affected as the power comes from the batteries? With the Concero HP I got noise pollution from power when I used IEMs, with the Hugo I don't get any. Maybe it's down to the laptop?

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #11,422 of 15,694
Maybe it's down to the laptop?

Yep, anything you do to optimize the laptop/PC/Apple by cutting down on dirty power/grounding/timing issues will elevate your SQ.  More so the Hugo since it does not have galvanic isolation.

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #11,423 of 15,694
j river use 64bit processing which I feel consumes memory even if there is no dsp processing enabled hence drop outs with dsd. problem is severe if multichannel dsd is ouput from jriver. I have compared jriver and foobar. foobar is much simpler and straight forward and never causes skipping of dsd. you can set the stereo as preferable area inncase if sacd iso rips. foobar is smoother and cleaned too as compared to jriver. dsd thru jriver sounds kind of processed IMHO.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #11,427 of 15,694
Hi guys, hoping you can help, or maybe Rob can advise?
My Chord Hugo has developed a rattle when shaken, like something is loose inside. The dealer seems fairly sure this is normal but I would like some reassurance.
Does yours rattle? Is this normal?

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #11,428 of 15,694
My Chord Hugo has developed a rattle when shaken, like something is loose inside. The dealer seems fairly sure this is normal but I would like some reassurance.

I don't know how to fix or advise anything for you but I can tell you that my Hugo and other Hugos I've listened to and dealt with had no such rattle when shaken.
Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #11,429 of 15,694

This is NOT normal; I'd have this serviced as soon as possible before your Hugo develops a serious fault. There should be nothing loose inside your DAC. The only moving part is the volume "sphere".

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #11,430 of 15,694

It's not the little plastic cover for the optical port is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back