Chord Hugo
Jun 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #10,879 of 15,694
  Also difference is that with DX90 music sounds good whole day and not only during the night due to it’s battery power

confused.gif

Although I also prefer to stack up my Hugo with a DX90, I think the battery life (using a S3 one) of DX90 is not so good => it ''only'' takes around 4-6 hrs before it's empty...or do you mean that you change the battery as soon as it's empty?

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #10,880 of 15,694

confused.gif

Although I also prefer to stack up my Hugo with a DX90, I think the battery life (using a S3 one) of DX90 is not so good => it ''only'' takes around 4-6 hrs before it's empty...or do you mean that you change the battery as soon as it's empty?

During the day electrical circuit is full of crap from other electrical devices, this effects computers and in the end quality of music reproduction. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #10,881 of 15,694

confused.gif

I dunno how it is to compare the DX50 and the 90 in terms of sound when only using the coaxial output but I think it makes more sense to use a DX50 instead of a DX90 if you're only going to use the coaxial out because the DX50's got more battery life, same UI and interface, lags less, less expensive, and puts out the same bitrate/resolution as the DX90 does out of its coaxial output. I cannot guarantee anything because it's been a while since I've got a chance to listen to a DX90 but that's only my theory.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #10,882 of 15,694
  I dunno how it is to compare the DX50 and the 90 in terms of sound when only using the coaxial output but I think it makes more sense to use a DX50 instead of a DX90 if you're only going to use the coaxial out because the DX50's got more battery life, same UI and interface, lags less, less expensive, and puts out the same bitrate/resolution as the DX90 does out of its coaxial output. I cannot guarantee anything because it's been a while since I've got a chance to listen to a DX90 but that's only my theory.

Good thoughts.  Didn't know about the DX50 having identical output to the DX90 on the coax output.  Truly, I am looking for a transport solely for the Hugo, so I don't much care about the SQ difference in the headphone out.  Thanks!

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #10,883 of 15,694

Good thoughts.  Didn't know about the DX50 having identical output to the DX90 on the coax output.  Truly, I am looking for a transport solely for the Hugo, so I don't much care about the SQ difference in the headphone out.  Thanks!

I'm not sure if there's a difference in sound though. Anyway, best way to buy something is always to try it out before buying. :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #10,884 of 15,694
My frustration with HUGO:

Okay I like the sound be I will be lying if I say I think the layout and overall industrial design is worthy of the price it is asking for. 

Lets start with the negative: For start for a product that cost 2.5K the 1/8 and 1/4 inch jack are among the cheapest in the industry. The RCA is also of a poor quality. The optical connector used varies based on different model. With my model and AK120 24/192 is no go however same Ak120 and same cable with a different HUGO works just fine! I thought it was my AK120 but it turns out to me only my HUGO which has this issue. Right now I am enjoying the AK120 and Marantz HD-DAC1 using the stock HUGO cable, why on earth HUGO refuses to work using the same setup I have no idea. 

The USB at the back is so fragile that I broken mine once.  The most expensive part of HUGO is perhaps the case and that too is perhaps a design flaw as it is too thick for Bluetooth to work without dropping out. From an industrial design view HUGO is noway a nicely layout product and I am sure if they do redesign it certain things might change.

Now the love: It is perhaps the best DAC of its size. Yes I see it strictly as a DAC first, it has a nice full sound with no apparent emphasis on any frequency. I find myself always needing an amp to improve on the dynamic as using the HUGO alone i tend to listen at the louder volumes (passed dark blue) using my IEM which is way too loud however adding a simple O2 fixes all that for me.

At this point I want to contact HUGO to get my unit replaced as I am certain my optical input is faulty but I honestly cannot be bothered. It is something I must eventually do but I really don't want to. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #10,885 of 15,694
  My frustration with HUGO:

Okay I like the sound be I will be lying if I say I think the layout and overall industrial design is worthy of the price it is asking for. 

Lets start with the negative: For start for a product that cost 2.5K the 1/8 and 1/4 inch jack are among the cheapest in the industry. The RCA is also of a poor quality. The optical connector used varies based on different model. With my model and AK120 24/192 is no go however same Ak120 and same cable with a different HUGO works just fine! I thought it was my AK120 but it turns out to me only my HUGO which has this issue. Right now I am enjoying the AK120 and Marantz HD-DAC1 using the stock HUGO cable, why on earth HUGO refuses to work using the same setup I have no idea. 

The USB at the back is so fragile that I broken mine once.  The most expensive part of HUGO is perhaps the case and that too is perhaps a design flaw as it is too thick for Bluetooth to work without dropping out. From an industrial design view HUGO is noway a nicely layout product and I am sure if they do redesign it certain things might change.

Now the love: It is perhaps the best DAC of its size. Yes I see it strictly as a DAC first, it has a nice full sound with no apparent emphasis on any frequency. I find myself always needing an amp to improve on the dynamic as using the HUGO alone i tend to listen at the louder volumes (passed dark blue) using my IEM which is way too loud however adding a simple O2 fixes all that for me.

At this point I want to contact HUGO to get my unit replaced as I am certain my optical input is faulty but I honestly cannot be bothered. It is something I must eventually do but I really don't want to.

Good points @audionewbi , I personally feel that I would rather rid of the bluetooth and improve on other things like the headphone sockets and such. I don't see why someone would listen to the Hugo using bluetooth when they're serious about audio and paid 2.4K for one.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #10,886 of 15,694
  Good points @audionewbi , I personally feel that I would rather rid of the bluetooth and improve on other things like the headphone sockets and such. I don't see why someone would listen to the Hugo using bluetooth when they're serious about audio and paid 2.4K for one.

I would say get rid of two headphone out, keep the RCA, get rid of the micro-USB for 16/44.1 stick a USB B or better USB C which deals with power and data but dont have at the back. No one can use it that way. The jack is sticking at one end, the USB at the other, how are we meant to store it on the go without putting strain on that so fragile microUSB?

No matter what this is a very poorly designed unit. This what happens when an engineer designs it :D 

I am sure chord engineers would agree, I am sure their rate of return due to USB is higher than what they have expected. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #10,887 of 15,694
  I would say get rid of two headphone out, keep the RCA, get rid of the micro-USB for 16/44.1 stick a USB B or better USB C which deals with power and data but dont have at the back. No one can use it that way. The jack is sticking at one end, the USB at the other, how are we meant to store it on the go without putting strain on that so fragile microUSB?

No matter what this is a very poorly designed unit. This what happens when an engineer designs it :D 

I am sure chord engineers would agree, I am sure their rate of return due to USB is higher than what they have expected. 

It's their first try at a portable dac/headphone amp so let's hope things get better! :)
I personally can't agree with everything you wish to be changed but you know what, unless a small device such as the Hugo is customized for each customer, it's literally impossible to satisfy every need. Problem is though, that the Hugo is pretty much unbeatable at what it does at its size so there isn't much alternatives in the market (not a problem for Chord haha!).

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #10,888 of 15,694
  It's their first try at a portable dac/headphone amp so let's hope things get better! :)
I personally can't agree with everything you wish to be changed but you know what, unless a small device such as the Hugo is customized for each customer, it's literally impossible to satisfy every need. Problem is though, that the Hugo is pretty much unbeatable at what it does at its size so there isn't much alternatives in the market (not a problem for Chord haha!).

For sure but, yes there is a BUT, but perhaps instead of the HUGO TT maybe we should have seen a HUGO 2.0 with the problem address. But maybe that requires a complete redesign of PCB board and also the current owner of HUGO would not be too happy too.

As far is being beatable that is a different story. It comes down to how you see HUGO a dac/amp? A DAC, portable or transportable.

I have never taken my HUGO out for train rides, I have taken it 3 times to the beach and that is about it. I see it as transportable but really a desktop. I think for 2.5K there are tough competition for HUGO as a stand alone DAC. But as a transportable DAC/amp of its price range it has no competition as I know no other product in that price ranger that does what it does. Not that it is besting its price bracket but more as no other manufacturer things people are willing to have a 2.5K dac/amp. 

Honestly the least they could have done is use some heavy duty 3.5 mm jack, the one that Meier Audio uses. They focused too much on the case, which is great however the important part are so fragile. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #10,889 of 15,694
  I find myself always needing an amp to improve on the dynamic as using the HUGO alone i tend to listen at the louder volumes (passed dark blue) using my IEM which is way too loud however adding a simple O2 fixes all that for me.

Blue with IEMs? There's definitely something wrong with your HUGO. With IEMs, I cannot go past Red, with HD700 cannot go past Green.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #10,890 of 15,694
Blue with IEMs? There's definitely something wrong with your HUGO. With IEMs, I cannot go past Red, with HD700 cannot go past Green.

Its not about the can or iem its your source output through hd usb or other conection. Ie imac is 384 32 bit conect usb to hd presto blue light no matter if its 846 or th900 in my case. Sorry if you are speaking of something completly else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back