Chord Hugo
Jun 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #10,847 of 15,692
I just want to share my experience with the Hugo

Be very careful and only use the supplied charger. I keep mine next to a turntable and accidentally plugged my turntable charger in the turntable. I could smell something burning and before I could pull it out, it was too late, the Hugo was damaged.

I have sent it for repairs, but next time plan to clearly mark the charger clearly.

It might be a good idea for others to do the same to avoid my misfortune.

I miss the Hugo terribly, and just don't want to listen to music without it.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #10,848 of 15,692
I am a very careful person and usually would have spotted the mistake, but I had quite a late night listening to the Hugo till 4AM and woke up without enough sleep. Anyway lesson learnt, and will never make this mistake again.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #10,850 of 15,692
Noob question here. Would I be double amping if I were to plug the below?
Pc>usb>hugo>3.5mm>aego M 2.1

Are you talking using a headphone out?  I believe that would be double amping. Would you want to just use RCA cables and use Hugo as a DAC?

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #10,851 of 15,692
Noob question here. Would I be double amping if I were to plug the below?
Pc>usb>hugo>3.5mm>aego M 2.1

Are you talking using a headphone out?  I believe that would be double amping. Would you want to just use RCA cables and use Hugo as a DAC?

With the Hugo RCA out and headphone out share the same signal path. – Yes, it would indeed mean double amping, since the Hugo's headphone/line out is a very capable headphone amp by itself. Then again, classic DAC line-out stages (amps) aren't meant to drive headphones, so you effectively need a headphone amp (this without considering it double amping). But the fact remains that with the Hugo it would introduce an unnecessary amplification stage with its individual signal-degradation pattern. It may create a sound that's more colorful and spectacular, though (many amps do this), but it's less true to the original signal. This under the premise that the Hugo isn't forced to work on its upper limit with extremely unsensitive headphones; but there will be very few that it can't drive properly.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #10,852 of 15,692
So, about a week ago I bought myself a (2nd hands) Hugo* and I must say I'm deeply impressed with it's performance. Almost every iem/headphone I have scaled up in an impressive way.

Especially my PS500 and Z5 (single ended) shine, like they've never done before...

Btw, sorry to read on the fried Hugo's out there (I would be depressed for at least a month when that should happen to me)...hopefully they can be repaired at low costs...

(* @Freek, I don't think you're an active member on HF, but if you should read this => thanks for selling me yours and keeping your promise....appreciate it big time!)

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #10,853 of 15,692
  So, about a week ago I bought myself a (2nd hands) Hugo* and I must say I'm deeply impressed with it's performance. Almost every iem/headphone I have scaled up in an impressive way.

Hi @Kerouac, good to see you like the Hugo. I have a few questions: Do you hear any differences between the coaxial out of the DX90 and the X5? If you do, what are they? Also, is that coaxial cable you're using there the one that comes with your iBasso?
Thank you.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #10,854 of 15,692
Hi @Kerouac, good to see you like the Hugo. I have a few questions: Do you hear any differences between the coaxial out of the DX90 and the X5? If you do, what are they? Also, is that coaxial cable you're using there the one that comes with your iBasso?
Thank you.

Well, so far I've mainly used it with the DX90. But when I tried the X5 I think the sq was about the same, not totally sure on that though => will try that again later on this weekend. From a technical pov: shouldn't it be exactly the same as both daps are just transport when connected through coax?

Yes, the coaxial cable came with the DX90 and works fine imo...I'm also wondering if an upgrade coaxial cable would make a big difference (maybe less jitter => better sq). Curious about that myself => maybe another member out here knows and can advise on that?

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #10,855 of 15,692
  Well, so far I've mainly used it with the DX90. But when I tried the X5 I think the sq was about the same, not totally sure on that though => will try that again later on this weekend. From a technical pov: shouldn't it be exactly the same as both daps are just transport when connected through coax?

Yes, the coaxial cable came with the DX90 and works fine imo...I'm also wondering if an upgrade coaxial cable would make a big difference (maybe less jitter => better sq). Curious about that myself => maybe another member out here knows and can advise on that?

IIRC Chord has stated that the Hugo be immune to jitter, so different drives should make no difference. I haven't systematically compared it myself (FiiO X5 via coax and computer via Toslink), but heard and expect there to be no difference.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #10,857 of 15,692
IIRC Chord has stated that the Hugo be immune to jitter, so different drives should make no difference. I haven't systematically compared it myself (FiiO X5 via coax and computer via Toslink), but heard and expect there to be no difference.
Hi guys,different transports or drives do make a difference . I've got 2 cd player's,1 cd transport,2 blue ray players,1 laptop,and they all sound different,the best 2 being the cd transport by a long way with the Hugo.I also find optical sounds alot better than coax(more natural)I'd say.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #10,858 of 15,692
I also find optical sounds alot better than coax(more natural)I'd say.

Aaaah, if this is true indeed then I'm definitelly interested in the upcoming questyle daps, which both will have optical out
L3000.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #10,859 of 15,692
Hi guys,different transports or drives do make a difference . I've got 2 cd player's,1 cd transport,2 blue ray players,1 laptop,and they all sound different,the best 2 being the cd transport by a long way with the Hugo.I also find optical sounds alot better than coax(more natural)I'd say.

Interesting! I experienced sonic differences among different CD transports in the past (with the Bel Canto DAC2), but so far only heard a difference between USB and Toslink with the computer as source with the Hugo. The sound from the FiiO X5's coax is very good, actually excellent, certainly good enough to my ears. I can't compare it with the McCormack UDP-1 (universal player) because I use and need the X5's equalizer.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #10,860 of 15,692

Interesting! I experienced sonic differences among different DC transports in the past (with the Bel Canto DAC2), but so far only heard a difference between USB and Toslink with the computer as source with the Hugo. The sound from the FiiO X5's coax is very good, actually excellent, certainly good enough to my ears. I can't compare it with the McCormack UDP-1 (universal player) because I use and need the X5's equalizer.

The X5's digital output is bit perfect as long as the EQ is Off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back