Chord Hugo
Aug 29, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #7,891 of 15,694

This is true.  But there is always the other side of the coin, the FPGA's silicon is not often optimised for "audio" use but instead it is optimised for generic use.  So although FPGA can be ultra fast, but sometime it may compromise the switching noise and jitter performance in the audio sense.

FPGA may be more akin to a "software decode" DAC, taking this example further, one can think FPGA is somewhat similar as using an Intel i7 with the appropriate OS and Player software to decode/upsample the data, but with FPGA, the software and hardware are both embedded inside.

Hence, agree that there is many ways to skin a cat and FPGA is surely one of them
cool.gif

"software decode"? i7+OS? switch noise? jitter performance?  You don't seem to understand what is a FPGA.  I'm no stinking expert but these are totally NOT what an FPGA is.  What you described is using sth like a qualcomm snapdragon chipset with it's audio codec on android and its apps where "software" of various abstract levels are involved.  Yes! it's your run-of-the-mills cellphone that usually don't sound very good.  Saying an FPGA is like that is grossly inaccurate.

Not saying FPGA is a silver bullet, and in fact far from it.  It takes MORE efforts and MORE experience/knowledge BOTH on the technical and audio side for a DAC designer to properly design his/her own chip that is better than a PCM1792 / ESS9018 / CS4398.  It's not only about how fast or slow its processing speed/power is, but the advancement is in the fact that it now allow audiophile designers to design and "manufacture" their own hardware chips in (relatively) tiny quantities to their very specific chip design parameters based on the need of hi-end audiophiles.  I'm sure there would be many poorly implemented FPGA DACs at the end of the day.  I'm not even sure how many people out there possess this unique combination of skill sets of a brilliant "audiophile engineer". 

But at least with Hugo it is shown this can be done and done at a reasonable price point.  Ambitious and qualified designers is now no longer bounded by the performance of DAC chips from these handful of makers.  THAT is why FPGA is an exciting development for audiophiles.  I just hope it won't be reduced/twisted into another marketing buzzword with lazy/greedy marketeers stuffing FPGA chips with crappy design, put up four big letters on the box and then sell this crap as the next best thing.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #7,892 of 15,694
Very true, kkcc,

However, there is also the possibility of using off the shelf chips UNconventionally and also implementing supporting/enhanced functionality with an FPGA as well. PBD, Allnic and others do this.

To do all in FPGA takes a lot of programming skills and access to IP rights, hence Rob has a leg up there.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #7,893 of 15,694
 I'm no stinking expert but these are totally NOT what an FPGA is.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

"FPGAs contain programmable logic components called "logic blocks", and a hierarchy of reconfigurable interconnects that allow the blocks to be "wired together" – somewhat like many (changeable) logic gates that can be inter-wired in (many) different configurations. Logic blocks can be configured to perform complexcombinational functions, or merely simple logic gates like AND and XOR. In most FPGAs, the logic blocks also include memory elements, which may be simple flip-flops or more complete blocks of memory.“

FPGA is a programmable IC with a lot of logic blocks and memory etc (silicon). And one use a programming language (software) to connect them together and to create whatever function one desires.

However, each and every of those "logic blocks" are standard design, they are not optimised for audio.  Not like when one designs a dedicate DAC chip, one can (only if he wishes) optimise some blocks for audio.  For example, he can enlarge certain part of the silicon so that although the function is same the same, it is lower noise than the standard design etc.

Anyway, what I meant was simply that FPGA is just another way of doing DAC design, as with everything, they all have their pros and cons.  And don't get me wrong, I think Chord did do a good job in designing Hugo for sure.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #7,894 of 15,694
So, I'm a happy Hugo owner for about 3 weeks. As a Chord "faithful" having recently upgraded from the QuteHD, I admire the technology and the sound. The only unhappiness is the whole cabling issue. Having a more recent unit, rca interconnects were not an issue. Its the USB. My dealer loaned me an AudioQuest Cinammon usb cable. I liked the sound coming out of this, but my only major complaint is that the micro usb doesn't fit tightly. The slightest nudge disconnects the device and then my computer can't recognize - very frustrating. I've seen the graphic pictures of usb butchery and not wanting to go down this road, I ordered the USB "B" to micro audioquest adapter. Gleefully plugging in my much more expensive Cardas Clear cable and anticipating further sonic delights, I was vastly disappointed by the sound quality. My statistically insignificant sample revealed that the adaptor deteriorates the sound. Now I'm in the market for a different cable. Having seen that Paul Pang produces a worthy cable, is anyone familiar with any other cost effective choices in the micro usb vein? Not wanting to dredge through 525 pages, I would appreciate any further advice on this. At the risk of being shunned by the ueber faithful Chordites, I posit the opinion that Chord erred in not thinking about the availability of true audiophile grade cables to fit their brainchild. The build it and they will come ideology, doesn't seem to be inspiring resolution of this issue. Indeed, I called audioquest and alerted them to my misfortune and their customer service people are not even aware of the issue. Must be low on their hierarchy or world issues next to genocide and world hunger. 

Also loving my Hugo until last night when i pick it up the screws fell out! The one right underneath and in between RCA out. Gave me quite a surprise, but easily fixed. Luckily this was at home, but if fallen out else where, it would surely be lost. Since i got the unit, it has not left the house so must be poorly screwed from factory.

The micro USB connector does give me a bit of concern, esp the provided OTG that seems to not really fit and go in all the way. Will have took for after market cables. Otherwise,moving the sounds it produce and loving the black one-off Hugo!

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #7,895 of 15,694
 I'm no stinking expert but these are totally NOT what an FPGA is.  

"FPGAs contain programmable logic components called "logic blocks", and a hierarchy of reconfigurable interconnects that allow the blocks to be "wired together" – somewhat like many (changeable) logic gates that can be inter-wired in (many) different configurations. Logic blocks can be configured to perform complexcombinational functions, or merely simple logic gates like AND and XOR. In most FPGAs, the logic blocks also include memory elements, which may be simple flip-flops or more complete blocks of memory."

FPGA is a programmable IC with a lot of logic blocks and memory etc (silicon). And one use a programming language (software) to connect them together and to create whatever function one desires.

However, each and every of those "logic blocks" are standard design, they are not optimised for audio. Not like when one design a dedicate DAC chip, one can (only if he wishes) to optimised some blocks for audio. He can enlarge certain part of the silicon so that although the function is same the same, it is lower noise than the standard design etc.

Anyway, what I meant was FPGA is just another way of doing DAC design, as with everything, they are have their pros and cons. And don't get me wrong, I think Chord did do a good job in designing Hugo for sure.

Is this the FPGA chip?

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #7,896 of 15,694
if someone could port whatever Hugo has in a DAP package for iems, I think that will be THE killer DAP.
really losing interest in the DAP out there........sigh...

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #7,897 of 15,694
Is this the FPGA chip?

Yes, Hugo uses a Xilinx Spartan-6  FPGA:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/spartan-6/

"Spartan®-6 FPGA delivers an optimal balance of low risk, low cost, and low power for cost-sensitive applications, now with 42% less power consumption and 12% increased performance over previous generation devices. Part of Xilinx’s All Programmable low-end portfolio, Spartan-6 FPGAs offer advanced power management technology, up to 150K logic cells, integrated PCI Express® blocks, advanced memory support, 250MHz DSP slices, and 3.2Gbps low-power transceivers."

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #7,898 of 15,694
Also loving my Hugo until last night when i pick it up the screws fell out! The one right underneath and in between RCA out. Gave me quite a surprise, but easily fixed. Luckily this was at home, but if fallen out else where, it would surely be lost. Since i got the unit, it has not left the house so must be poorly screwed from factory.

I experienced exactly the same last sat night! One of the screws fell out and it was the same exact position as yours, right between the RCA out! It cant just be a coincidence that both our sets have the screw in the exact same position fall out. Are the bolting and screwing of screws automated? If automated I would think that the machine doing that particular screw has it tightening torque out of spec resulting in a poorly tightened screw.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #7,899 of 15,694

I experienced exactly the same last sat night! One of the screws fell out and it was the same exact position as yours, right between the RCA out! It cant just be a coincidence that both our sets have the screw in the exact same position fall out. Are the bolting and screwing of screws automated? If automated I would think that the machine doing that particular screw has it tightening torque out of spec resulting in a poorly tightened screw.

Sorry to hear this but also glad that I'm not the only one. For the moment there I thought something funny with my unit. Seems like Hugo chassis design is an after thought.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #7,900 of 15,694

"FPGAs contain programmable logic components called "logic blocks", and a hierarchy of reconfigurable interconnects that allow the blocks to be "wired together" – somewhat like many (changeable) logic gates that can be inter-wired in (many) different configurations. Logic blocks can be configured to perform complexcombinational functions, or merely simple logic gates like AND and XOR. In most FPGAs, the logic blocks also include memory elements, which may be simple flip-flops or more complete blocks of memory.“

FPGA is a programmable IC with a lot of logic blocks and memory etc (silicon). And one use a programming language (software) to connect them together and to create whatever function one desires.

However, each and every of those "logic blocks" are standard design, they are not optimised for audio.  Not like when one designs a dedicate DAC chip, one can (only if he wishes) optimise some blocks for audio.  For example, he can enlarge certain part of the silicon so that although the function is same the same, it is lower noise than the standard design etc.

Anyway, what I meant was simply that FPGA is just another way of doing DAC design, as with everything, they all have their pros and cons.  And don't get me wrong, I think Chord did do a good job in designing Hugo for sure.

Not sure what you are arguing here as we all know ANY hardware chips are consist of "those standard design logic blocks".... also ANY chips, FPGA or not were programmed, on these gate levels, "by connecting them together to create whatever function one desires."  Chips being programmed is vastly different than the idea of software emulation of hardware feature.  The difference is that for normal chips they are programmed before being manufactured and a high MOQ is required to cover the high cost to develop/manufacture, but with FPGA they are general chips that can be programmed to implement CUSTOM HARDWARE functionality as if they were purposed-designed and manufactured chips.  It is not a microprocessor architecture controlled by low lever programming language, but the functions are built on the hardware (i.e. connected gates) level into the chip itself.  You may want to check out this very short overview white paper on FPGA chips from TI. 

My point is, FPGA is not JUST another way, but a fundamentally different way to design a complete DAC with chips (be it the DAC chips or other supporting ones) that are designed and spec'ed specifically for a unique DAC implementation.  All the pros and cons of designing a DAC with off the shelf chips still applies to DAC with FPGA chips, but FPGA chips allow the ADDITIONAL benefits of customizing the chips' performances/features based on the audio equipment designer's priorities and not the semiconductor company's priorities.  Whether one do a good or worthwhile job in customizing it is another story, but what Hugo, and others like  PBD, Allnic that Winson mentioned above prove that it is viable. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #7,901 of 15,694

"software decode"? i7+OS? switch noise? jitter performance?  You don't seem to understand what is a FPGA.  I'm no stinking expert but these are totally NOT what an FPGA is.  What you described is using sth like a qualcomm snapdragon chipset with it's audio codec on android and its apps where "software" of various abstract levels are involved.  Yes! it's your run-of-the-mills cellphone that usually don't sound very good.  Saying an FPGA is like that is grossly inaccurate.

Not saying FPGA is a silver bullet, and in fact far from it.  It takes MORE efforts and MORE experience/knowledge BOTH on the technical and audio side for a DAC designer to properly design his/her own chip that is better than a PCM1792 / ESS9018 / CS4398.  It's not only about how fast or slow its processing speed/power is, but the advancement is in the fact that it now allow audiophile designers to design and "manufacture" their own hardware chips in (relatively) tiny quantities to their very specific chip design parameters based on the need of hi-end audiophiles.  I'm sure there would be many poorly implemented FPGA DACs at the end of the day.  I'm not even sure how many people out there possess this unique combination of skill sets of a brilliant "audiophile engineer". 

But at least with Hugo it is shown this can be done and done at a reasonable price point.  Ambitious and qualified designers is now no longer bounded by the performance of DAC chips from these handful of makers.  THAT is why FPGA is an exciting development for audiophiles.  I just hope it won't be reduced/twisted into another marketing buzzword with lazy/greedy marketeers stuffing FPGA chips with crappy design, put up four big letters on the box and then sell this crap as the next best thing.

Agreed on this - designing a DAC with an FPGA is at least an order of magnitude more difficult than simply using another audio chip to produce a boutique DAC. You also have an almost infinite number of ways to screw things up, so yes I am worried we will see a lot of poorly measuring FPGA based garbage coming out soon, with the various claims of measurements don't matter, just listen to it... At least a chip based design will, at the DAC core, be competently designed, thoroughly reviewed and tested.

Just as a background, the digital part of ASIC's (that is the DAC chip) is designed using HDL or RTL, which is software. So I write RTL using Verilog and nowadays, due to the improvement in synthesis tools, there is often no difference in my RTL that is used for an ASIC or for an FPGA based DAC. Now the RTL completely defines the digital performance - the data that comes out is solely dependent upon the RTL, for a properly executed design. Now of course the execution of that RTL is different, but there are considerable benefits in FPGA in terms of power, as you are using a 28 nm process rather than a typical 180 nm mixed signal process. The downside to an FPGA is routing, which affects timing closure - getting the design to meet timing, but that is another story. The routing delays are normally balanced by the fact that the internal logic is much faster, as it is 28 or 20 nm silicon.

With Hugo, the RTL design is based on twenty years of work with FPGA based DAC's. Indeed, one of the reasons Hugo sounds as it does, was the result of a major upgrade over the past 6 years of all of the internal modules within the FPGA.

Rob

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #7,902 of 15,694

The micro USB connector does give me a bit of concern, esp the provided OTG that seems to not really fit and go in all the way. Will have took for after market cables. Otherwise,moving the sounds it produce and loving the black one-off Hugo!

our apologies about the screws falling out of your Hugo, I've alerted the Team and extra checks will be made to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #7,904 of 15,694
A Message from the Chord team..... for all owners of the Apple iPod Classic...

the camera-kit supplied will not work if you connect the iPod Classic to the Hugo... I have been reliably informed that this is because of IOS or lack of.

the iPod Classic is not compatible with the Hugo,hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back