Chord Hugo
Jul 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #6,797 of 15,694
Sadly i am on fatiguing side, it has so much detail that my ears are just not used to it. However maybe i am listening too loud.

Yup, it's easy to do with the Hugo, play to loud.  If I do it will fatigue me.  If I find just the right level, I can listen all night and it sounds great.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #6,798 of 15,694
Google "Akiko tuning stick" 6moons.

Or you can google "Akiko tuning stick JaguarAudio.com".

Thats where i got mine. They give you 15 day trial money back guarantee.

Funny thing is with Akiko, i keep turning the volume up because the sound starts from the room sort of speak and there is no fatigue.. so you don t even realize how high the volume was until your neighbor knocks on your door..

Give it a try. There is a AC version where you just plug it in your power strip or the RCA version where you stick it your components RCA hole..

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #6,800 of 15,694
  Just got my Hugo and volume bypass mode into my integrated amp sounds very bad, obviously some kind of a digital processing problem.  Does anyone know what I mean?

How many hours to burn in Hugo?

This only seems to happen with the USB connection.  The Toslink connection doesn't have distortion in volume bypass mode, but the volume doesn't seem to actually be bypassed.  I can still turn the volume up and down even though it starts up with the blue light under the volume control.  Could my Hugo be defective?

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #6,801 of 15,694
Those of you who own the objective 2 amp please try to pair Hugo with it and report back if you can.

This is kind of a late reply. XD

Noble Audio is graciously letting people in Seattle give their lineup a try with the Hugo. I own the Objective DAC and Objective 2, and the Geek Out (though it's in Light Harmonic's hands at the moment since I thought my unit was defective; I think I'll get it back in time). I can do a comparison with the three.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #6,802 of 15,694
  Just got my Hugo and volume bypass mode into my integrated amp sounds very bad, obviously some kind of a digital processing problem.  Does anyone know what I mean?

Turn off bypass mode and leave the volume at the default "green". The Hugo can output up to 3V, which is over the standard of about 2V. Some amps wont like this, usually ones where the volume control is not on the input.

Ok, now to introduce another annoying factor: I turned on my Hugo this morning and it didn't sound as good as it did last night, but it sounds good now. I think it needs at least 10 minutes to warm up and sounds best after it has been on somewhat (don't ask me how much) longer. I suspect some negative impressions of it have been a result of people using it while cold. Thankfully it doesn't use as much power left on all day as my Master 7 does!

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #6,803 of 15,694

i get exactly the same.  if i feed the hugo into my power amp directly, it sounds sublime.  if i turn volume bypass mode and connect it to my preamp's analogue inputs the sound quality drops significantly

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #6,804 of 15,694

This only seems to happen with the USB connection.  The Toslink connection doesn't have distortion in volume bypass mode, but the volume doesn't seem to actually be bypassed.  I can still turn the volume up and down even though it starts up with the blue light under the volume control.  Could my Hugo be defective?

same here - in the bypass mode (press and hold crossfeed switch while turning Hugo on) the volume starts in light blue but the volume control still works, it's not disabled

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #6,805 of 15,694
  http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-Lossless-Mastering-External-Connection/dp/B00EPFLJS8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406067249&sr=1-1&keywords=fiiox3#productDetails

will this Coaxial cable and Fiiox3 allow my Hugo Chord to by pass the X3's DAC?

how do i connect the provided cable? Coaxial adapter or something? cause it seems i won't be able to hook these directly

correct me if i was wrong. 

thanks in advance ^^

CCS 3.5mm Coaxial Cable | FiiO to Hugo |

This will work too

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #6,806 of 15,694
Turn off bypass mode and leave the volume at the default "green". The Hugo can output up to 3V, which is over the standard of about 2V. Some amps wont like this, usually ones where the volume control is not on the input.

Ok, now to introduce another annoying factor: I turned on my Hugo this morning and it didn't sound as good as it did last night, but it sounds good now. I think it needs at least 10 minutes to warm up and sounds best after it has been on somewhat (don't ask me how much) longer. I suspect some negative impressions of it have been a result of people using it while cold. Thankfully it doesn't use as much power left on all day as my Master 7 does!

I agree with you completely. The funny thing is I am not a fan of burn in but of course I do this with all the devices anyway. But I have posed this warm up question to many on various forums. And I am amazed at the answers. Some say leave it on for days to settle , others it's no effect . There is no doubt warm up matters and how long is a function of the device topology. Tube amps take less time to warm up about 20 mins or so. My speaker rigs with SS amp s I do min 30 mins. And it's just the same with DACS and even portible devices. However like some many odd facts in audio no one really post,s about it. The Hugo gets warm in a few mins if left inside my bag so about 15 mins or so is enough but it's summer here so it's already hot. The best answer I got on this topic was from ted of ps audio and Vince of msb tech. They both Said the devices are built and measured at a warmed state as the parts all change during cold to warm states . In fact some devices do perform as spec not until it reaches a certain internal temp. And yes the M7 is a heater and makes burning money a reality Whalen using it. My old krells are ridiculous in the amount of heat they through off.
Al

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #6,807 of 15,694
Here is alink to burn in

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/burn-in/#comments

I do think the unit is not bright and fine all around. What info think is some people have much more jitter than others and this effects the sound Ina big way. As I did try the offramp 5 and the ap1/pp. I felt it did not help at all and took away some of the Hugo's great qualities. Also for me the ap1/pp. Made it amost schrill. I know others may feel different and again it's just my opinion being stated. My pont is though in use it with the iPhone or surface pro and it's fine . It does get better from my caps in all battery mode but not earth shattering better but improved. I think who feel it's bright or fatiging especially with a LCD can have something rather odd going on. I would love them to post there setup and let's see what can be done to help.

Al

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #6,808 of 15,694
From what I learned in my electrical engineering course, resistors are the noisiest components of a circuit and they are more often than not heat-sensitive.

That being said, warming up solid state electronics, on a literal sense, probably alters its behavior slightly from when it was turned on. A similar thing probably happens for capacitors when charge is building up, especially in larger caps.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #6,809 of 15,694
Warming I get , but the burnin thing is just too much for me. As an example why does all the devices alway get better over time and not worse this alone makes it nonsense to me.
Second ad the device is being designed just hiw much does the designer take into account of the parts being used. My guess in this is plenty as some do chNge over time and a design goal in both spec,s and in voicing it must be considered. But no ones knows all the devices put other and how they will sound in let's say 500 hours of burn in.
Then take into account the manufacturing of the device and it's ever changing compOnent values.
Al

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #6,810 of 15,694
I can confirm that this $25 glass Toslink cable fits snugly into the Hugo and sounds great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00078I3O0

EDIT: It fits, but it doesn't sound as good as the stock Toslink cable that comes with the Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back