Chord Hugo
Jul 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #6,181 of 15,694
I'm not sure the ak240 and hugo should be compared for the reason al mentioned, dap vs dac/amp. For me it would be more a matter of need. If I need true portable (eg. For gym/running) the hugo doesn't meet my needs, rubber bands or fancy cases aside. While I do think hugo has better sound than ak240, it wouldn't be so good as to make me use hugo+whatever transport as portable device. Now on the other hand, if it just need my music to be transportable, the hugo is where it is at. Even with higher price of hugo+transport/dap, it is preferable over ak240 for me. On the other hand, if I didn't care about weight/awkwardness etc., I would take my kgsshv+sr009+lamp l5+string of car batteries with me for music.

Hahahaha and I thought the shoulder pack was big
Al

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #6,182 of 15,694
Still dont have my AQ cable - supposed to arrive on the 10th - but that's a much better discussion than rehashes of the old 'Hey the MkII sounds better than the MKI' stuff. Placebo is such a major part of this hobby and I guess nothing I type here will change that. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #6,183 of 15,694
Correct. Skeptics always win no matter how wild the accusations are.
Al

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #6,184 of 15,694
Ps I am still,waiting on someone on the aluminum foil on the simple usb cable . If someone who has a really expensive usb can compare it to the simple cheap one I would greatly appreciate it.
It does make a difference on the sata drive cables.
Al

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #6,187 of 15,694
  I'm getting quite alot of hissing with Shure SE846 and Chord Hugo. Does anybody have a similar experience?

Never happened to my tg334, jh13, or xba4 which are all very sensitive and/or low impedence.... what source are you using with the Hugo?

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #6,189 of 15,694

Thanks for the reply kkcc. I'm using a macbook pro as source. 

Maybe you can try using other inputs as sources to try isolating if the issue is from a specific source (the MBP or the usb cable in this case if other source like toslink or coax doesn't have issue), or the Hugo itself as it shouldn't hiss even with the se846.  

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #6,190 of 15,694

Maybe you can try using other inputs as sources to try isolating if the issue is from a specific source (the MBP or the usb cable in this case if other source like toslink or coax doesn't have issue), or the Hugo itself as it shouldn't hiss even with the se846.  

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems that I still get hissing when I use Mac as source. So it might be the usb cable. 

But then I've noticed that if I don't connect the Hugo to a source, and just turn it on whilst SE846 is connected, I get the same background noise. I'm not sure if its what others would call hissing, but the background is definitely not black or silent. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #6,191 of 15,694
Thanks for the suggestion. It seems that I still get hissing when I use Mac as source. So it might be the usb cable. 

But then I've noticed that if I don't connect the Hugo to a source, and just turn it on whilst SE846 is connected, I get the same background noise. I'm not sure if its what others would call hissing, but the background is definitely not black or silent. 

I don't have the se846 now but still have my tg334 that hiss worse with the ALO rx mk3 than the shures but it doesn't pick up any noise at all from Hugo regardless of any inputs (including bluetooth).

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #6,192 of 15,694
I don't have the se846 now but still have my tg334 that hiss worse with the ALO rx mk3 than the shures but it doesn't pick up any noise at all from Hugo regardless of any inputs (including bluetooth).

Yeh, I'm definitely picking up noise from the Hugo with the SE846- its very obvious and I noticed it the first time I fired up the Hugo with SE846. Although I can live with it, it is pretty disappointing. 

Thanks again kkcc for your helpful replies and advice.

Hmm..maybe it could be the tips..

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #6,193 of 15,694
Yeh, I'm definitely picking up noise from the Hugo with the SE846- its very obvious and I noticed it the first time I fired up the Hugo with SE846. Although I can live with it, it is pretty disappointing. 

Thanks again kkcc for your helpful replies and advice.

i hear hiss noises when i use the HD input. Everything else i don't and i use the blue usb moon audio cable. My source is my laptop with foobar

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #6,194 of 15,694
i hear hiss noises when i use the HD input. Everything else i don't and i use the blue usb moon audio cable. My source is my laptop with foobar

I'm just listening to some dsd file via fb2k foo_dsd_asio from my win7 x64 to hugo HD usb with my tg334 and no hiss. Using a cheap micro usb cable that came with my note2....

Are you still having this issue with your asio output? I tried switching between hugo's asio 1.03 output, DS, and WASAPI and was able to reproduce your issue.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #6,195 of 15,694
Been doing various burn in and using the Hugo to help in process. Basically have hugo running out of the RCAs and one or both headphone jacks. On the input side, I was doing usb from jriver/win server or coaxial from wadia/ipad. Here is the weird thing. When I was running a tone generator from the wadia/.ipad to coaxial I never had any issues. Now when I play random music from either the wadia/ipad to coaxial or jriver/win to usb, the chord will stop playing after a while. I'm not sure how long before it actually happens but within 4-6 hours. If I hit stop and play again, the hugo works like it never had an issue. Since it is happening from two different sources and interfaces, I assume the issue lies somewhere with the hugo, but why only music? I guess not really a huge issue until I wanted to so 24/7 burn in or long listening session with no interaction. Any ideas/suggestions/or anyone else run into this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back