Chord Hugo
Feb 24, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #511 of 15,694
agree, but this is a 3 pieces set-up.  

Imagine (dream) a transport of the same size than the HUGO that will attach (clip) under the HUGO !  It may even use some proprietary connection between the HUGO and the Transport to avoir cables.  

--> This will be a hell of  a SINGLE Piece brick.  
3 bricks are too many. Just thinking of charging them evokes severe migraine.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #516 of 15,694

I won't have any problems walking around with a Hugo/ZX1 combo, it's just as  portable as my ZX1/PHA-2 combo, plus the Hugo has a myriad of other possibilities.

Yep, this will be the best solution (Excellent UI, ...) IF the ZX1 has 256 Gb of memory or a MicroSD slot. I am not in a mood to choose & load every morning which files out of my 300 Gb library I want to hear today.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #518 of 15,694
Feb 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #519 of 15,694
IMHO, I prefer the transport to be a reasonably sounding standalone DAP as well..so that I can use it alone when I wish to go light..

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #520 of 15,694

agree, but this is a 3 pieces set-up.  

Imagine (dream) a transport of the same size than the HUGO that will attach (clip) under the HUGO !  It may even use some proprietary connection between the HUGO and the Transport to avoid cables.  

--> This will be a hell of  a SINGLE Piece brick.  

Agree. I would like to see a similar solution.

But.. I have to say but.. :wink:

The wireless NAS will be in a pocket or in a bag with no cables attached even while in use, so basically you will just have an iDevice connected to the Hugo that you will operate.
But yes.. it would be even nicer to have everything in just one device.. but as I said (I say but yet again..) the SQ is the most important factor for me, so I will just make the best of it until something new arrives.

I have ordered the same messenger bag as OK-Guy (Kangaroo Kingdom) that can fit the Hugo, the iDevice, the portable harddrive AND Noble's K10 (that I really want).

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #521 of 15,694
  Yep, this will be the best solution (Excellent UI, ...) IF the ZX1 has 256 Gb of memory or a MicroSD slot. I am not in a mood to choose & load every morning which files out of my 300 Gb library I want to hear today.

your loss by the looks... in truth the 200gb I have on my F887 & ZX1 should last me more than a couple of days... if it doesn't it'll only take me a minute or so to swap in/out 20 albums or so... it's no biggy.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #522 of 15,694
I for one find it tiring of you rambling about the exact same thing on all ALL DAP THREADS all the time...we get it, you want 500g of music with you all the time. Point taken. Now apart from the Calyx which has not line out or the AK240 which costs a testicle, none have that. Please deal with it and move on...

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #524 of 15,694
I will use an iDevice with my Hugo to be and have a 1TB Seagate Wireless Pro (NAS) wirelessly attached.. and quite a big FLAC library with 24/192 will be no problem at all.
And DSD can be embedded in FLAC files so DSD can be played natively on the Hugo as well (I have not tried it myself, but it should work).
What more do you need?

For me the sound quality is the most important and nothing out there in portable audio comes even close to the Hugo.. and you do not want to enjoy that?
Because of storage limitations on an iDevice? Beats me..

This is exactly how I am planning on using my future Hugo.  

Just be aware that to stream bit perfect to an iDevice from the Seagate Wireless Plus, you will need to convert your FLAC files to Apple Lossless (ALAC) or a another file format natively supported by the iDevice.  The conversion from FLAC to ALAC is easily done using dBPoweramp.  If you stream FLAC files from Seagate Wireless, streaming works but will be downsample to 44KHz.  I am not sure where the limitation is coming from because one can play hi res FLAC files stored in the iDevice using FLAC Player, AmpliFLAC or the Onkyo HF Player and they play bit perfect in this case.  Unfortunately none of those apps can stream from an external dirve.

I have tested streaming DSD from Kingston Mobile Lite to iDevice (iPhone 5) as follows:
- Package DSD files into DoP FLAC using Foobar2000 and Plugin (Many links on the web explaining the process)
- Convert DoP packaged FLAC into DoP packaged ALAC using dBPoweramp (This can be easily done in batch mode, preserving all tags and folder structure)
- Use 8Player or Kingston Mobile Lite Application to stream the DoP packaged ALAC to iPhone 5, which in turn sends it to my Teac UD-501 DSD capable DAC through CCK and a USB hub (Of course with Hugo, the USB hub will not be required)

Doing the above, made for DSD streaming and turned on the DSD 2,8MHz display in my Teac DAC.

I will perform the same test with the Seagate Wireless Plus and will report later.  Hope this helps anybody who is contemplating using the Hugo in the same way.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #525 of 15,694
I for one find it tiring of you rambling about the exact same thing on all ALL DAP THREADS all the time...we get it, you want 500g of music with you all the time. Point taken. Now apart from the Calyx which has not line out or the AK240 which costs a testicle, none have that. Please deal with it and move on...

Minouille,
I can perfectly understand that my "rambling" can be quite annoying, and I want to apologies for this.  But....

- I am always amaze that there is always a mark missing in all design. It looks like their marketing guys do not uses the products for themselves.  Plus, as for the capacity, it is a lack of common "business sense" not to propose a 256 Gb Version in addition to the 128 Gb version. This will provide them some easy extra margin. Exactly like Apple offer 16, 32, 64 Gb versions of their iPhone, advertising the 16Gb price and....making their margin on the higher capacity versions. So may be if we all express the same concern, SONY "may" listen, and follow the very profitable (& proven) Apple's business model of proposing several capacities.  

- MORE IMPORTANT: I have the feeling that by "pushing them" we help the manufacturer to design products more adapted to their markets. For example, Without the repetitive (and annoying, I agree) complains of many Head-Fiers about the capacity of the CALYX-M (and the lack of physical controls), the final product will have been released with only 64 Gb +64 Gb (and only touch screen controls), and.... will have failed ! 
I truly believe that we have had some good input on helping them to make the M more adapted to the market.

And I am not a complainer just to complain: Now that 90% of our requests have been fixed by CALYX, I have officially asked them to be on the pre-order list.   SO, I complain, but... I buy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back