Chord Hugo
Feb 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #481 of 15,694

The Chord Hugo should only go to line level if you press and hold the crossfade button when you power the unit up. If you are not doing this then there could be something wrong with your unit unfortunately.

Thanks Phil. Mine powers up to green, which is tympanic membrane piercingly loud with iems (which is why I assumed mistakenly green was max or near max volume). With full size cans it's not an issue. Full/line out color seems to be light purple, which seems to work correctly.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #482 of 15,694
I use ak100 via optical input connected with HUGO. But 24/192 is the upper-limit of the optical input. DSD or more qualified sounds are allowed with coaxial and HD-USB. Iphone with the camera kit via HD-USB is thought to be the best choice of the source player. But the maximum storage of iphone is only 64G. Therefore, additional storage is needed such as wireless portable HDD. HUGO-HDUSB-iphone-wifiHDD... is it ok?

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #483 of 15,694
I use ak100 via optical input connected with HUGO. But 24/192 is the upper-limit of the optical input. DSD or more qualified sounds are allowed with coaxial and HD-USB. Iphone with the camera kit via HD-USB is thought to be the best choice of the source player. But the maximum storage of iphone is only 64G. Therefore, additional storage is needed such as wireless portable HDD. HUGO-HDUSB-iphone-wifiHDD... is it ok?

I'm using Seagate Wireless Plus HDD via wireless to iPad Mini and then via CCK/USB lead to Hugo. I use 8Player app. It works really well.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #488 of 15,694
@Mython

How do u like the hugo? SQ alone...
Shud be a step up to the DX100, am i correct?

Very detailed treble, spacious, and not at all aggressive, but I couldn't get a 100% grip on it's SQ as I was listening with unfamiliar headphones (LCD3) and unfamiliar uni-CIEMs (K10 demo), and had a noisy Chord hi-fi system running just 10 feet away from me. Far from ideal conditions, as I hope you can appreciate
normal_smile .gif

Still, I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to plug-in my MG6 Pros - not because they're much good, but because I am at least familiar with how they sound. I was too busy listening with the K10 demos (but again, the external noise was a hindrance). The Chord staff were really nice people, though, and couldn't have been more accommodating.

I really look forward to hearing both the K10 and the Hugo properly, at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #489 of 15,694
Thanks, Mython. Much appreciated your inputs. Totally understand and sometimes it takes me weeks to appreciate new gear... Audition is usually first impression thing like meeting a stranger. :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #492 of 15,694
I input to Hugo out of a MacBook Pro Retina using ALAC via Micro USB (bog standard Amazon Cable) & HiFace to Stereovox XV2 to Coax Hugo and T5Ps out. I preferred the Coax.

However, I have just bought a Forza Audio FAW Copper series Twin USB to Micro USB to use for MacBook or iPhone 5/iPad Mini Retina with CCK as I can't take my MacBook with me all the time. I'll see what that sounds like once it is burnt in. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #493 of 15,694
Still trying to find "decent" ones and decent optical at the moment. Obviously the supplied one fits but sceptical of its quality.

Regards

Phil

Have you recieved a Hugo batch with the new and improved chassis?
And have you tried different RCA, toslink, coax cables with it?
And the most important part.. have you found any decent cables that fits? :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #494 of 15,694
Very detailed treble, spacious, and not at all aggressive, but I couldn't get a 100% grip on it's SQ as I was listening with unfamiliar headphones (LCD3) and unfamiliar uni-CIEMs (K10 demo), and had a noisy Chord hi-fi system running just 10 feet away from me. Far from ideal conditions, as I hope you can appreciate
normal_smile%20.gif

Still, I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to plug-in my MG6 Pros - not because they're much good, but because I am at least familiar with how they sound. I was too busy listening with the K10 demos (but again, the external noise was a hindrance). The Chord staff were really nice people, though, and couldn't have been more accommodating.

I really look forward to hearing both the K10 and the Hugo properly, at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I am VERY interested in hearing about listening impressions using Hugo with Noble's Kaiser 10 CIEMs.
The Hugo seems like a no brainer for portable audio, and to me the K10 seems to be in the same category.. and together.. it should be just pure joy?

I do not have or had any IEMs or CIEMs, but the K10 is a candidate to be my first CIEM.
I don't mind looking silly with full size headphones on the go, so I tried the T5P but it is not practical on the go at all. CIEMs will in that aspect be a "game changer" for me..

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #495 of 15,694
I was tempted to get the HUGO but I finaly won't because of Lack of appropriante source ( iPad/iPhone & Sony: not enough capacity, Ak100/120 & X5: don't Like their UI, AK240: too expensive, CALYX... No digital OUT).

So...I really believe that CHORD should release à transport ( no Dac no Amp) "companion" to the HUGO ( same form factor, lot of Memory, gorgeous UI With 5" screen, good playlist management, DSD support, coax + optical + USB out ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back