Chord Hugo
May 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,121 of 15,694
Received the 2tb seagate wireless plus today. What format files are required to stream 192 files? It isn't recognizing aif files thru CCK into HD USB. If I change the extension to aiff then it worked sporadically. Any advice?

You did notice that when you use the wifi connection, Seagate, it is a slow connection, edit: I've gotten different info on this.  That would be a problem for hi rez, I would imagine.  So you must hard wire the drive to the playing device and then to the Hugo?  Correct?  But then that defeats the purpose of the drive?  no?

Here's how fast the wifi is when streaming.  This is probably why your having drop outs would be my guess.
Does Seagate Wireless Plus stream in HD?
It is capable of streaming in HD up to 10 megabits per second but some devices may not support High Definition formatted videos.

May 17, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #3,122 of 15,694
Spend the morning testing the optical and coaxial implementation using my DD socket 1 which uses ipod touch digital signal and converts it to digital out via coaxial and optical out.

To my ears coaxial seems much more cleaner and neutral where as optical comes across as maybe a touch warmer on bass and has a little more sparks? Hard to tell, they both sound great, 

Right now I am waiting for chord leather case and few cables from chord company to be released. 

May 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #3,123 of 15,694
Hi guys I'd think this would be the best place to ask this:

Sometimes when I'm listening to my Hugo (AK240-Optical, MacBookPro-USB) the light indicating the bitrate flickers and the sound becomes loud pops. This happens during a song and it is very surprising and can probably damage my hearing especially when I use my CIEMs. Does this happen to you guys too? And was this discussed before?

Also my only complaint with the Hugo is the 3.5mm slots are too recessed that my CIEMs have to use the larger plug to work, and some Optical cables don't fit because the slot is too small.

Otherwise its a beautiful DAC/Amp.

May 18, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #3,124 of 15,694

Sometimes when I'm listening to my Hugo (AK240-Optical, MacBookPro-USB) the light indicating the bitrate flickers and the sound becomes loud pops. This happens during a song and it is very surprising and can probably damage my hearing especially when I use my CIEMs. Does this happen to you guys too? And was this discussed before?

Also my only complaint with the Hugo is the 3.5mm slots are too recessed that my CIEMs have to use the larger plug to work, and some Optical cables don't fit because the slot is too small.

hi VZ, don't sound right. I use AK240 optical to HuGo, usb to hUgO, no popping and flickering bit rate lights.

May 18, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #3,125 of 15,694

I don't have the problem.

Caveats : I only use Hugo with AK240 and I only have flac and DSD files.

May 18, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,126 of 15,694

I had some of that with my microStreamer - particularly nasty with IEMs. Thankfully, the only time I have any sort of issue like that with Hugo is when I turn it on after I've actually started to play a song - an obvious no-no. Try playing your music with the power cable connected to the Hugo and see if it keeps happening - I believe there were some issues as the battery ran low on power, but I'll leave that one to Rob, 

May 18, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #3,128 of 15,694
I decided to hook up my portable amp and see what happens. Almost all my amp degraded the sound except 627x . The output stage of chord HUGO sound identical to 627x where as my other portable amp degraded the sound.

May 18, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #3,133 of 15,694

My experience of it popping in an out is use of 3.5mm optical adaptors, which do not work well. I asked Matt at Chord, and he kindly replied on a Sunday morning and said:

" This sounds more like a problem with the optical cable or the 3.5mm optical adapter. The AK products and the Mac both use the 3.5mm optical connector which means you need the special cable or adapter. I have had various reports of the adapters not working or breaking the signal. We can supply a known working toslink to 3.5mm cable if required. Many of our distributors have spare stock of cables they can send out."

May 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #3,135 of 15,694
Colorfly C4 coaxial out is just simply superb, crazy good. The upsampling somehow really works well with HUGO. I dont know why but it changes the soundstage somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back