Chord Hugo
Apr 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,461 of 15,694
Listening to Bluetooth right now with Audeze LCD-X. No hiss or issues whatsoever. Best bluetooth I have heard yet and not even aptx (using my iPhone). Still a huge downgrade from direct connection sq-wise but no issues. Working as promised.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2,464 of 15,694

Here ya go. 

Thank you for finding those posts.  I'm still a little confused and maybe it is because I really don't fully understand DSD.  In the first quote, the designer states that he can't put raw DSD in the DAC as it would sound too hard, so it is filtered which converts it to regular PCM.  Therefore, it would seem that it is converted to DSD and the designer believes that is the best option.  However, in the second quote, he seems to be a proponent of leaving things in their native format - if it started as DSD, stick to DSD, etc.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,465 of 15,694
What I gathered is that because of the technical limitations of DSD, it is better to do the conversion for sound quality purposes. 

But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with obtaining a recording and listening to it in it's native format, which will always be the cleanest cut. Even though DSD gets converted at some point, it's still being processed as the native recording. If a recording is natively DSD, and has been changed to something else, you will have less information to be working with throughout your DAC. My assumption would be converting inside of the DAC is preferable to a pre-converted PCM file which still needs additional processing. It makes sense to me that conversion at the time of processing would ultimately be less processing overall than a pre-converted PCM file. But I don't know that, and I think it would be hard to prove empirically, and relying on the sage advise and experience of guys like Rob is likely highly accurate. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,466 of 15,694
Hey,just want you guys to know I have noticed a problem with my hugo's coax jack.When I stick my coax into the jack the center pin isn't being snugged and held like the rca's. The pin is just laying in there and barely being held by the outside blades of my cable.My unit is a third shipment unit larger hole casing for the coax.I then tested with just a single center pin that grabbed and snugged in the rca's but just layed in the coax.Called Drew about this issue and he told me to send my hugo back.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,467 of 15,694
Hey,just want you guys to know I have noticed a problem with my hugo's coax jack.When I stick my coax into the jack the center pin isn't being snugged and held like the rca's. The pin is just laying in there and barely being held by the outside blades of my cable.My unit is a third shipment unit larger hole casing for the coax.I then tested with just a single center pin that grabbed and snugged in the rca's but just layed in the coax.Called Drew about this issue and he told me to send my hugo back.
It seems likely to me your not using the required smaller RCA plugs with open petals. These are the only types that will fit this limited access high frequency coaxial data input. Don't use a shrouded large diameter audio style of plug and cable they are not suitable either for HF data transmission or the limited space available on the end of this small unit. I doubt there is any thing wrong with your Hugo as this input will have been tested in chords factory and the coax RCA input will be okay when the right type of plug is used.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,469 of 15,694
Hey guys the problem is with the CENTER PIN ASSEMBLY within the coax jack itself,not that the o.d. of my coax plug is to large. I have used a cable that fits ALL THE WAY IN.Good center pin fit is very critical with a digital coax.There is no grab on the center pin on the way in like the rca's have.My Oppo player grabs the center pin of my coax when I plug it in there.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,470 of 15,694
The outside and inside center pin of the coax plug both should have mild clamping force by the coax jack itself.Don't be fooled into thinking just because the coax plug feels snug that the center pin in the middle is being properly clamped. This is a totally different issue than the casing coax hole being to small. TEST YOURS.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #2,471 of 15,694
What I gathered is that because of the technical limitations of DSD, it is better to do the conversion for sound quality purposes. 

But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with obtaining a recording and listening to it in it's native format, which will always be the cleanest cut. Even though DSD gets converted at some point, it's still being processed as the native recording. If a recording is natively DSD, and has been changed to something else, you will have less information to be working with throughout your DAC. My assumption would be converting inside of the DAC is preferable to a pre-converted PCM file which still needs additional processing. It makes sense to me that conversion at the time of processing would ultimately be less processing overall than a pre-converted PCM file. But I don't know that, and I think it would be hard to prove empirically, and relying on the sage advise and experience of guys like Rob is likely highly accurate. 

As I mentioned earlier, I thought the lampizator dsd which does not do any kind of PCM conversion sounded noticeably better in dsd. In any case, I think most dual PCM/dsd dacs favor PCM conversion as it is the dominant format and spend most of the dac settling issues around it. So when it comes to dsd, hard to make an entirely other circuit just for dsd. For something the size of the chord, it would be even harder. I thought the qute series didn't have very good dsd. The hugo is noticeably better, but not yet up to standards of lamp at least.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #2,472 of 15,694
Does anyone have comparisons between the CypherLabs -dB and the Hugo from the same source using the same files? Any comparisons?

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #2,474 of 15,694
You best know what you're talkin' 'bout to come 'round these parts. Us old wiseguys, we been down that road.

*blows cigar smoke through a deep swig of whiskey*

My perspective from my journey:

For anyone that is eyeballing this thread, coming up with ways and justifications to just go to the top of the pile with CHUGO from a FiiO. (PS I love FiiO.)

What you want to know is how a CL stack stacks up to CHUGO. Right?

CHUGO is way better. It's a magnificent piece of kit and you should buy one, but not yet. You need to play with the CL gear first. Its more affordable, plus its a cool experience. It's great gear. Learn to appreciate that, and then, and only then, will you be be able to come have your mind blown by the CHUGO.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,475 of 15,694
I think the Hugo with the original chassis will be a collector's item

Users who are viewing this thread

Back